Diesel Place banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove a new Silverado 2500HD today. I could not find the parking brake; turns out that since 2019, Sliverados have all been equipped with a push button parking brake - there is no foot lever. It is electrically activated. The parking brake does seem to hold well, and release well.

Has anyone had any issues with this (alleged) improvement?

· Registered
2020 Silverado 3500HD Duramax/Allison, LT, Crew Cab, SRW, Std. Bed, Z71, 4WD,
2,431 Posts
It takes a little (very little) time to get used to it, but now I love it. Also gives me more foot room to stretch out on long trips.

Reactions: Pure Diesel

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It takes a little (very little) time to get used to it, but now I love it. Also gives me more foot room to stretch out on long trips.
Good to know that you like it; I would also like the extra foot room. Also, there have been very few posts about it anywhere (that I have found), so it must be rather reliable.

Does the brake operate on the rear calipers, or is there still a small parking brake drum that is part of the rotor? Is it a screw type mechanism that (I presume) does not take any power to keep the parking brake applied (as when the key is off)? Maybe hydraulically applied?

· Registered
2020 Silverado 3500HD Duramax/Allison, LT, Crew Cab, SRW, Std. Bed, Z71, 4WD,
2,431 Posts
I never looked. When you press the button, you can hear a motor run for a second.

· Registered
180 Posts
Will this parking brake automatically release when you go to move the truck? Or, will it keep you from moving the truck until you release it? For the life of me I almost never remember to release a parking brake before taking off. I don't know why but I always seem to drive 1/4 mile with it on. Obviously that's hard on them and most of mine don't work well anymore.

· Registered
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB L5P 4x4 Allison
33 Posts
I did a test with my new 2021 L5P. I was fairly easily able to roll with the parking brake still engaged. I haven't looked under the vehicle or removed the rear wheel, yet, to see the brake setup. I am curious if it is the disc/drum combo that was on my 2004 LLY.

· Banned
34 Posts
I find a lot of advantages to it. First, it does auto release as soon as you push the gas while in gear. This works great as it will hold the truck on a hill until you give it enough power to move. Second, under certain conditions it auto applies the brake. It will apply it automatically when you are on a hill and when you are hitching a trailer.

· Registered
3,185 Posts
EPB Release
To release the EPB:
1. Turn the ignition on or to ACC/ ACCESSORY.
2. Apply and hold the brake pedal.
3. Press the EPB switch momentarily.
The EPB is released when theY or PARK light is off.

Automatic EPB Release
The EPB will automatically release if the vehicle is running, placed into
gear, and an attempt is made to drive away. Avoid rapid acceleration
when the EPB is applied, to preserve parking brake lining life.

Since the subject is the EPB:

The vehicle may automatically apply the EPB in some situations when
the vehicle is not moving. This is normal, and is done to periodically
check the correct operation of the EPB system.

And someone asked about applying the EPB when the vehicle is moving:

If the EPB is applied while the vehicle is moving, the vehicle will
decelerate as long as the switch is pressed.
If the switch is pressed until the vehicle comes to a stop,
the EPB will remain applied.

Reactions: SonnyAK

· Registered
1,747 Posts
I find a lot of advantages to it. First, it does auto release as soon as you push the gas while in gear. This works great as it will hold the truck on a hill until you give it enough power to move. Second, under certain conditions it auto applies the brake. It will apply it automatically when you are on a hill and when you are hitching a trailer.
the hill start assist has nothing to do with the e-brake, totally different system. Also, you don’t have to be on a hill for it to automatically apply the brake when hitching a trailer, however you do need to have the camera in hitch view in order for the e-brake to apply.

· Banned
34 Posts
the hill start assist has nothing to do with the e-brake, totally different system. Also, you don’t have to be on a hill for it to automatically apply the brake when hitching a trailer, however you do need to have the camera in hitch view in order for the e-brake to apply.
I was not speaking of hill start, I was speaking of the brake applying automatically when you are parking on an incline. I am aware of the difference. Go find yourself a hill and put it in park and you will see what I am talking about.

· Registered
265 Posts
The only disadvantage I see is that replacing rear brake pads is more difficult. There are no brake drums as in the past, the calipers are moved against the rotors to apply the parking brakes. However, the parking brake mechanism has to be disabled before the brake pads can be replaced. There is a special sequence of events that has to be performed before the calipers can be removed and you have to follow the procedure. Dealerships have special tools for them - not sure what small shops are doing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.