Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2005HD Duramax 4x4 Crewcab/ Shortbed. Drove it from Texas where I purchased it to Colorado where I live and fell in love with the power, quietness and the ride. Bone stock for now, but want to improve power and mileage with a chip and exhaust what do you guys recommend for a chip and exhaust like manufactures and type. I will be pulling a 27.5 ft 5th wheel. Also does installing a chip and exhaust void the factory warranty? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Welcome aboard, I'm moving this to the Power and Performance section, under LLY Electronics. You'll find all about tuners there and if you look there is also an Exhaust and Intake section as well under Power and Performance.

Good Luck with the truck!

·
Registered
734 Posts
It all depends on the amount of power you are looking for. I would say Edge is prob all you want. It adds about 150hp give or take. But has a lesser power level designed for towing.

I would go with Edge and prob. a 4" exhaust. Intakes to not help on these diesels.

And adding a computer chip WILL void your warranty, but i would still go ahead and buy one. When you go to the dealership make sure you remove all your computer chips. What they dont know they cant give you grieff about.

Welcome! Im a Colorado man my self.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
programmers are only going to jeopardize warrenty if what you brought it in for might have been caused by the programmer.

my dealer actually recommended a low HP tune to help with towing when i asked.

my first mods would be exhaust(removing cat)/block off egr/reroute pcv

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Exhuast first, some gauges, and Edge, IMO

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I would add a boost stick, Best mod I have had to keep the Exhaust temps in check while towing with a chip.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have a different idea (flame on!) Just drive it the way it is.

99% of the people on here that have problems, have "upgraded" their truck.

Stock rocks!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Stock Sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not what you buy, It's what you build !!!!!!

Start with gauges, great for towing, and gives you a idea what thing are before you modify it, and then you'll be able to see the changes you have made after you add the power.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I have a different idea (flame on!) Just drive it the way it is.

99% of the people on here that have problems, have "upgraded" their truck.

Stock rocks!
Where did that come from? You jump in and offer advice with absolutely no factual information to back up you're statement. Please, if you don't have facts to back up your statements keep it to youself, you are spreading inaccurate information.

·
Registered
826 Posts
See, I knew I would get flamed!

Factual information? Do you read this forum? How many thousands of posts do you need me to quote?

This is just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
brich6600 has an edge that he's selling that would be perfect for your truck!!

·
Registered
804 Posts
I agree with Scqtt quite a bit on this one a lot of the problems i see seem to coincidentally happen when people start screwing with their stuff, although thats half the fun i guess...

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I believe it is how you use your mods as opposed to ALL modded trucks being broke down. Yes, if you have a tuner set to kill and rod the crap out of it with a stock tranny, you are going to fry it. If you run super high EGTs, without having the restraint to back off, your going to fry. My truck has been modded since its first week, and I have had 2 injector wire harness failures, but nothing related to mods I have installed. For my towing applications, a stock truck would be useless.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Alot of it depends on what you plan on using your truck for. A 4" exhaust and a programmer are a good start for towing a fifth wheel of that size. Gauges are a good idea, especially if you are considering using a higher horsepower setting with some of the programmers out there. I went with a Corsa exhaust on mine, mostly because of my prior experience with Corsa products on F-bodys. The Predator for no particular reason other than alot of good feedback here. Enjoy your truck.

Mark

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the input and I will go to Electronics and look at look at all the posts. Thanks Tim.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
See, I knew I would get flamed!

Factual information? Do you read this forum? How many thousands of posts do you need me to quote?

This is just my opinion.
How many do you need to quote, well, you could start with one. People come here to get information, they read opinions like yours and the next thing you know they are spreading misconceptions and half truths. Outside of the few that are pushing the limits of their stock hardware, I don't see too many members having issues being caused by intakes, exhausts, chips and programmers.

FYI, my truck has been towed back to the dealer twice, neither of which were related to modifications.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'm pretty happy with what I have done. The only thing I wouldn't do again would be the cold air intake. Maybe stock or stock modified as per the suggestions in the forum

1 - 17 of 17 Posts