Diesel Place banner

Pulling with OD

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  quantum mechanic 
#1 ·
I am pulling a car up to Tennessee this month on one of those tandem axle trailers.

The car and trailer combined weight will be somewhere around 5,000#.

I was curious if it is safe to pull in OverDrive? This truck is geared pretty low. At 70MPH the RPMS are 2,400 in OD. If you put it in 3rd the RPMS are so high it is not really realistic to pull over 55 MPH.

Truck is a 95 Chevy Silverado 2500, king cab/long bed with the 6.5TD and automatic. Not sure of the gearing. But it seems pretty low.

Thanks,

AJEdited by: pinehead

See less See more
#2 ·
AJ,

That should not be a problem go to your glove box and pull the RPO codes from the sticker there it will tell which trans and gear you have in your ride as delivered, then go to this post for conversion of what is what.

http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3623&KW=RPO

About midway down in the thread I listed most significant ones to our trucksEdited by: Turbine Doc

#3 ·
The 4L80 trans that is in your truck is setup to tow in OD. I have traveled some 75,000+ miles with mine totaling 16,540 lbs.

Go for it

#4 ·
Thanks guys....... It pulls pretty good. I just didnt want to mess anything up.

It has the 4.10 rear end with Positrac....... Which explains the high RPM's. Also has the 4L80 trans with the HD coolers. Those codes are pretty cool. I never knew about that.

I edited the post above after realizing today that the RPM's at 70 MPH were 2400. Originally I posted 2200 RPM's at 70 MPH(incorrect).

Thanks for the help!

AJEdited by: pinehead

#5 ·
AJ;

I have '95 that I have 3.42 ratio and pull 5,000lbs about 50% time and durring the summer everyday and I have pulled in OD all the time. I have 163,000 miles no transmixer problems. (i service it every year). 4.10's 5,000lbs OD piece of cake.

#6 ·
I pull 4 to 5 tons in a lowboy trailer occasionally. I have the window sticker from the dealer, but I'll check the codes. The sticker says it came with 3.73 gears and the posi. I tow in OD without a problem. The RPM is 2300 @70 MPH and 2450 @75 MPH. I run 33x12.5 on the truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.