Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Suburban in December and was told it was hard starting at times but probably needed a new PMD. I just replaced my PMD with a new Heath remote mount but here is the situation. The other morning 8 degrees outside, I glowed the plugs and the Sub started right away no problem. I plugged it in the next morning and got it all toasty warm and it was very hard starting with a cloud of white smoke. It also starts like this if I park it in the garage overnight or after it has been sitting a few hours after being driven. If it recently has been driven it starts up no problem as well. So I guess in summary super cold starts are not a problem, and it starts easily after being driven. But if it is parked for a while when the temperature is more moderate say 30 to 50 degrees it starts hard and blows a ton of white smoke. This is a 95, and everything from plugs to lift pump checks out.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
need to check timing it may be too much retarded

·
Registered
49 Posts
Are the glow plugs cycling every time?
Wayne

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes

The glow plugs cycle everytime. One difference I notice from this truck to say my Benz is that the plugs cycle everytime for the same amount of time everytime I turn the key off and back on and allow them to glow in the Benz. On the Burb they cycle once normally and then don't glow long if I turn the key off to try for a second heating.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts