Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question.
I have the edge attitude, and I'll be pulling a small flatbed trailer.
Do I set it on #2 and should I press the button on the shifter that shows trailer or should I just set the edge on #2?

any advice will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone?.............

·
Registered
183 Posts
The tow haul mode (button on shifter) is up to you. Doesnt sound like much of a load so either on or off is fine. All this does is adjust shift times and torque converter lockup. Personal preference. I usually tow my 7K trailer with regular shifting, but if im really loaded then ill put it in tow haul mode. Keeping the chip on setting 2 is good for the transmission. Any higher will honestly probably not hurt it if you dont rag the hell out of it and see what your quarter mile times are on number 5 or 6 with a trailer. NOT A SMART IDEA! for an unmodified tranny

·
Registered
43 Posts
how heavy is it? if it's just a small load keep it on 1 or 2 and go, all that tow haul mode does is change your shift points you really only need that on the heavy loads.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys you guys are a big help.
so much knowledge on this forum.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I would not pull with the Edge over the 2 program. I would make sure you have the defuel on shifts on in the Edge programmer. If you pull with the higher numbers, your exhaust temps could get so high that you melt the aluminum housing of the turbo. That is huge bucks. I would probably tow with it on 1 just to be safe.

·
Registered
183 Posts
the edge has an egt backdown feature, so you WILL NOT melt your turbo. Try em all out, but do the majority of the driving on 2. You WILL be ok with that small load. I drive things like i stole em so ive found the limits of the Allison and your ok.

·
Registered
302 Posts
As long as the EGT is attached to the Edge it will back it down. I never had mine hookd up.

I've towed my 10K fifth wheel many times with the Edge and Attitude and #2 seems to be the best for keeping the EGT's at a managable area.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
i tow a 6-7k trailer with it on 3 all the time, no probs. egts dont get too high, tranny temps dont get too high, engine temps dont get too high.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what is the use for the tow button on the shifter ?
should I just pretend it's not there?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
the tow/haul button when pushed quickly puts it into tow/haul mode, holding it down for a couple seconds puts it in OD lockout. tow/haul locks the torque converter in second gear compared to when it normal locks around 55 and it also holds it in the gears longer.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
what is the use for the tow button on the shifter ?
should I just pretend it's not there?
You should use your tow/ haul mode when using your tune. It changes your tcc lock up times and shift points, therfore giving your trans a little extra life.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
if you think it does'nt matter.....why do you thing gm engineered it with the tow/haul option? use it when you pull something!!!it keeps the trans from gear hunting,and save wear and tear in the tranny.

·
Registered
19 Posts
putting in the tow/haul mode also helps with braking. the allison will lock the tc up and down shift using the motor to help slow you down. saving just a small bit on your brakes. i just towed a 7k trailer to flordia from delaware with tow/haul ON and my edge on #1. and my truck is on the 36inch tires. egts were in the upper 800 range, motor 194 and trans around 140-160. 16hrs and never turned the truck off the whole time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
the tow button all depends on driver prefrence or it depends on how heavy of a load your pulling the only time when I use it is to downshift when we go out to the mountains it defenitly helps control your speed going down the mountain, but like i said just driver prefrence or how heavy of a load your pullin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts