Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going tear into my motor next week while on vacation, it needs head gaskets, and while I’m at it it’ll get a water pump, head studs, glow plugs, and harmonic balancer. Would it be easier to pull motor to do all that stuff or do it all in frame? Seems like studs would be easier with the motor out.

What’s the best brand of head gaskets?
Best sealant for the block end of the head studs?

It’s an 83, not going to add turbo, keeping it NA, if that matters. Thanks!

·
Administrator
17,213 Posts
I vote to pull the motor for best access
(y)

·
Registered
1982 Chevrolet Silverado K10 Diesel
213 Posts
Pulling the motor is more in-depth than it needs to me IMO. I usually leave them in. Just about the same access as having it out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sure seems like having it out would make it a lot easier to work on without bending over in the engine bay. If it was just the heads, maybe,but w doing water pump and balancer... radiator and fan will be out anyway, so at that point it’s just 6 bellhousing bolts and 2 motor mounts no? And oil cooler lines.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Oil Cooler lines disconnect at the Driver side of the radiator. It's a 2-Piece system that goes through the Radiator... The actual Oil lines stay connected at the eng block by the Oil Filter. But I think so. There's also a ground wire on the Passenger's side that has a Clip bolted into the frame and goes down to the ground for the starter-Solenoid, Besides that stuff I think it's all. You may have to disconnect some HVAC wiring, Transmission harness (700r4 if you have it) if not the th350/400 are Vacuum Operated. But I also don't know what Year vehicle your working on I assume 1982-1987 Square body?

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
The bending over gets old really fast unless especially if you are not in your teens. With it out I think you can do a better job of getting things sealed and clean. Good time to clean up the whole engine bay too. Also gives good access to weld the frame around the steering box if yours is cracked.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya I think I’m going to pull it. By the time I take off everything I need to to change parts I want to change, I’m wishing just a few bolts of removal. I hate bending over lol, too old for that game. Thanks all for replies.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Post up some progress & Pictures when you get it out :)

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I like leaving it in the truck and using the truck as a stand. Little harder, but less space taken up. I also pull the core support and am young which helps a bunch. I use permatex thread sealant on my studs. Seems to work well for me!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I got her out this morning, hit it with the Hotsy steam cleaner after lunch. Motor was nasty, glad I took it out. Will steam the engine bay while it’s empty, blow off 35 years of Grease and grime. Going to open up The motor tomorrow, see what’s what. Hoping against hope my heads are still usable!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m going to put my glow plugs on a push button, can I get rid of the glow plug controller on the drivers head? Looking to clean up motor as much as possible. And the egr controllers? Ok to trash em right? Just leave plugs unhooked?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts