Diesel Place banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bicycle tire Clock Automotive tire Wood Bicycle part
Bicycle tire Clock Automotive tire Wood Bicycle part

I bought PT Tools test set WB89731 for other diesel work, unfortunately it didn't come with a short 10x1 glow plug adapter so I bought a Lang Tools Tu-15-2A but it wouldn't work with the PT quick connect.
Karma aligned the stars and I realized the Lang Tool adapter is a Foster 12, the same one used in high pressure air for pre charged pneumatic air rifles etc.

The PT kit has the required QD to 1/8 NPT male so this took mere minutes to adapt. I ordered new Foster connections as they wear out when used at 3000 PSI so they are consumables. I'd rather have it fail under the hood than near or on my rifle. Hose whip at 3000 PSI is nasty. 500 PSI not so much.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Naturally, I like to test things. Figured 500 PSI should be adequate. Lang Tool is a respected brand, as are Foster QD so these were left out of the test.

The air test was done restrained out of hose whip fear. Took only seconds to pump the gaige to 500 PSI with one problem, the pressure release was sluggish. Flushing the release with silicone oil worked. Then using blue anaerobic thread seal carefully fixed that leak. It still slowly releases gauge pressure and needs a bit of massage to repeat. Not bad for a 60 dollar test set.

I've seen too much blood letting from pressurized gas releases, even 100 PSI is dramatic. On my 3000 PSI air rifles, I charge under Kevlar blanket with remote power disconnect. The compressor has burst disc protection and it all housed in a 16 gauge steel box. Buy 24 inch hose whips are scary beasts.

High pressure liquids have their own hazards with far shorter hazard zones. And diesel systems make visible leaks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts