Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a wedding and buying a house in the next couple of months, my wallet is drained. So is the torsion bar the best way to get some height out of these low chevys? What size tires can you run afterwards? Alignment problems? This is my first IFS so i'm not sure what to do

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Crank 'em...align 'em...265 'em....anything bigger may rub somewhere unless you adjust some things. 285s may not rub...just depends on the exact tire/wheel combo.

·
Registered
363 Posts
285/75/16's will rub the inner fenders and valance a bit. I wouldn't mount 'em on stock alloys either. Been there, done that. They just don't wear quite right pinched on the skinny rims. Go with a 1" wider rim and they'll be very happy. I'm very pleased with the setup I have now. The valance is trimmed, the inner fenders are tied back, the Husky mudflaps are trimmed, the Bilsteins are on, and I'm cranked up just enough. People ask all the time if my truck has a lift kit. It drives very well and my tires are wearing well too. It's a bit of screwing around, but the price is right.

Gar

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
You could go with a 33X12.50X17 on Hummer wheels. The wheels are selling for $200 or less on Ebay and elsewhere. They have good backspacing and don't rub with some cranking. Look very good on stock suspension and won't cost you an arm and a leg. Check out bobo's garage for pics of exact same setup.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
305/70/17 on H2's. It's a 34x12.50. No rub at all. Almost cleared 315's. I trimmed the front valence and inner plastic in the fender well. Takes about 5 minutes. My 285's rubbed at first, so i trimmed to fit them. So you might as well go big. If it stops raining today I'll get some new pics in my garage, I just put the h2's on friday.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I don't want to trim anything so how many cranks, and what size tires can i run on the stock wheels. Without any rubbing too.

·
Registered
262 Posts
265's

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I agree, prob just 265's. However, our 8.1 has 285's with no trimming, and I have friends with an 04.5 and an 05 with no trimming on 285's. Seriously though, trimming sounds worse than it is. You can do it with a pocket knife. All you have to cut is that plastic skirt in the wheel well. I'd suggest buying 285's and then trimming if needed. I had a 1500 with 285's with no trimming. So I was kind of mad when my hd needed it, but it really is nothing. You only need to trim the valence for 305 or 315's. PM me if you have any questions

·
Registered
107 Posts
I did the same, cranked torsions just over an inch and am running 285/75/16 BFG AT and have no inner lining rubbing. Like mentioned above the trimming of the valance is simple and most people would never notice the trim job. What you actually trim is a small, maybe an inch wide, part of the valance that is perpendicular to the side of the truck. Again, like mentioned above a pocket knife or razor knife is just fine. Go big!

·
Registered
665 Posts
A 255/85/r16 is the biggest tire that is approved for the 6.5" wide rim. The 265s call for at least a 7" wide rim. The 255/85s are almost 33" tall and about 1/2" wider than the 245 stockers. You shouldn't have to crank the bars or trim anything for them to fit either. I didn't trim anything when I had that size tire on mine.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Just put 305's on a friends hd, and very minimal trimming. Did not have to trim the valence.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts