·
Registered
199 Posts
At the time of those pictures around 85 or so

·
Premium Member
3,773 Posts
One hell of a Thread folks.

Right now my LBZ sits as noted in my sig. It is also in the shop right now having HG's done. I will be going there in the AM tomorrow to take some pics of my cylinders and other items. I have long suspected I had an issue with my #7 and it will be interesting to see what condition the Cyl top is via a vis the pics TheFurmanator put up.

I have since buying the truck Feb '07 @ 37k miles, run Power Service with 2 stroke at ~25:1 .. an Oz per std tank full. Added a Post OEM filter set-up a month later that uses a 5mU filter and at 220K or so went with a FASS, added a Titan 52 Gal (along with my 30 gal slip gravity fed), and started to use Opti-Lube in conjunction with the Diesel Kleen from Power Service. Every spring I would dump in the tank a full gallon of Diesel Kleen and run it through on a highway run at 75 mph. EGR been blocked in April of 07.

I typically change filters on all 3 places every 20-25k miles.

Gonna be interesting to see what that has done internally.

Theo

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I've been researching my current issue with a 1093 code. I came across some info that I think is the most comprehensive I've ever been able to find. http://oregonfuelinjection.com/pdf/gm-duramax-01-07-diagnostic.pdf
I quit reading about half way through from all the mis quoted information, and some of it is just blatently wrong. This is obviously a guide written by an individual, and they mis quoted some of the service manual specs(at least the few I caught just proofing over it). They also did a poor job of describing how the sytem actually works as far as how the injectors work. They did do a good job at describing the codes, but as far as specs go, verify them yourself in the service manual as I can assure you 5ML of returned fuel for an inejctor is OUT of spec, not the spec. Also there are return specs for the CP3 that I didn't see covered here that GREATLY aid in CP3 diagnostics. And the DURAMAX engine DOES use a supply pump, it is just part of the CP3. other engines used an electric in tak pump, after the 6.5L and all the electric pump problems, GM went with a gear driven on the end of the CP3 to supply the high pressure fuel system.

·
Registered
423 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
After reading this entire discussion, which is very informative, I found two questions concerning the Torque Pro app. The interesting thing is I found no answers to the questions. I too use the Torque Pro and the only fuel rate I can find on it is reported in gph. Is there a way to change this indication to mm3.

·
Registered
99 Posts
so I basically subtract by 1mm3 to get corrected values right? (7mm3+1mm3 to get ideal 8mm3?)

-1mm3 to all in the last pic?

·
Registered
170 Posts
What is MM3? Cubic Millimeters? The Torque app states fuel rate in Liters per minute, just trying to see what units MM3 are.

·
Registered
308 Posts
OK, I read through most of this, but seem to be missing one bit of info. For an LBZ EFI Live, what PID do I use for fuel rate? Calculated Fuel Rate (GM.FULERCALC)? I don't see a Main Injection PID.

If that's the correct PID, my Avg rate at idle is 9.8, so I need to add 1.8 to each of my balance rates?

And my in gear Avg rate is 15.9, so I need to add 2.9 to each of my balance rates?

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
OK, I read through most of this, but seem to be missing one bit of info. For an LBZ EFI Live, what PID do I use for fuel rate? Calculated Fuel Rate (GM.FULERCALC)? I don't see a Main Injection PID.

If that's the correct PID, my Avg rate at idle is 9.8, so I need to add 1.8 to each of my balance rates?

And my in gear Avg rate is 15.9, so I need to add 2.9 to each of my balance rates?
8-9MM3 of fuel at idle is completely normal. You are checking it at idle up to temp, oil warmed up, and A/C off correct? If not the fuel numbers will be higher. 10-12 is normal for with the A/C on. Also the in gear fuel amount can vary if you have a different convertor in the truck than stock. I've seen go as high as 18 in gear because they had a tight converter in them.

·
Registered
308 Posts
8-9MM3 of fuel at idle is completely normal. You are checking it at idle up to temp, oil warmed up, and A/C off correct? If not the fuel numbers will be higher. 10-12 is normal for with the A/C on. Also the in gear fuel amount can vary if you have a different convertor in the truck than stock. I've seen go as high as 18 in gear because they had a tight converter in them.
Idle and in gear measurements were taken with HVAC, lights, and radio all turned off after being driven for 30 minutes. Engine coolant temp was 174f. Truck is stock other than cat delete.

Are you saying i don't need to correct my balance rate numbers if the Calculated Fuel Rate is higher than 8mm3 in park or 12mm3 in drive? You only adjust the balance rates when the fuel rate is below the normal range?

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Idle and in gear measurements were taken with HVAC, lights, and radio all turned off after being driven for 30 minutes. Engine coolant temp was 174f. Truck is stock other than cat delete.

Are you saying i don't need to correct my balance rate numbers if the Calculated Fuel Rate is higher than 8mm3 in park or 12mm3 in drive? You only adjust the balance rates when the fuel rate is below the normal range?
8-9MM3 of fuel at idle is normal, yours is only slightly higher which could be due simply to a little extra backpressure from the VGT turbo at idle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2002 2500HD with the LB7. I just replaced all 8 injectors after the dealer claimed that was the problem. The truck has ~107k miles. There are no tunes or aftermarket performance parts on the engine.

After reinstalling and reassembly there was still a noticeable surging and a knock. I purchased an Edge CTS tuner, and took the following injector balance readings:

In neutral: In gear:
1: -6.9 -6.5
2: 6.5 7.9
3: 0.5 0.5
4: -1.1 -1.1
5: -0.1 0.5
6: -1.0 -1.3
7: -1.2 -2.5
8: 3.6 3.6

FRP/K: 5.1psi
CFR: 9-10 mm3
MIFR: 8-10 mm3
DFRP/K: 5.4psi

According to my calculations from previous posts, I believe that I still have 3 bad injectors. Can anyone confirm, and possibly give me some ideas on how to go about the problem?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
checking balance rates

First - thanks to all who have been participating - a great thread

I have a 2007 LBZ with about 170,000 miles on the original injectors - change the fuel filter when I change the oil. No additives on a regular bases.

Here are the numbers I am seeing

at a idle truck in park

Calculated fuel rate a low of 5.5 mm3 to a high of 12.1 mm

at 5.5mm3 of fuel flow the balancing numbers are as follows

Cyl 1 -1.9
Cyl 2 0.2
Cyl 3 0.5
Cyl 4 2.8
Cyl 5 -1.0
Cly 6 -2.9
Cyl 7 -3.5
Cyl 8 -0.8

with 12.1 MM of fuel flow here are the Balance #'s

Cyl 1 -2.1
Cyl 2 0.8
Cyl 3 0.0
Cyl 4 2.7
Cyl 5 -0.9
Cyl 6 -2.9
Cyl 7 -3.6
Cyl 8 0.7

In gear at a idle the numbers for fuel rate range from a low of 12.8 to a high of 19.6

the 12.8 numbers look like this

Cyl 1 -2.3
Cyl 2 -0.3
Cyl 3 0.2
Cyl 4 4.5
Cyl 5 -1.3
Cyl 6 -1.8
Cyl 7 -4.2
Cyl 8 -1.4

Looking for opinions.

Based on what I am reading even if I say the fuel delivery needs to be 10mm3 in park, I am 5mm off that. If I understand the thinking if I subtract for the 5 mm I should get about the following

Cyl 1 -1.9 - 5mm = -6.9
Cyl 2 0.2 - 5mm = -4.8
Cyl 3 0.5 - 5mm = -5.5
Cyl 4 2.8 - 5mm = - 2.2
Cyl 5 -1.0 - 5mm = -6.0
Cly 6 -2.9 - 5mm = -7.9
Cyl 7 -3.5 - 5mm = -8.9
Cyl 8 -0.8 - 5mm = -5.8

And it would seem to me from reading the LBZ wants a higher fuel delivery that 10mm# , and if so my numbers are actually worse than calculated above.

Thoughts? Don't feel bad about correcting me if I missed something.

Truck was at temp - fuel in the tank was probably cool to cold- if that matters.

Thanks
SBLGFD

·
Registered
1 Posts
Injector balance rates

I just ran across this post by thefermantor, very interesting.

However, although he says to add the fuel rate to the balance numbers, he does three things that puzzle me:
He states:"The fuel rate should be at least 8MM3 of fuel, but the fuel rate is 3MM3 of fuel for this example."
Then: "So we need to add 5 to all of these balance rates to get the actual numbers. So lets see the corrected numbers."
Here is where I get even more confused. Here are the readings along with his corrected numbers:

#1 -2.1 -7.1
#2 1.4 -3.6
#3 -0.8 -5.8
#4 1.2 -3.2
#5 -1.4 -6.4
#6 -1.2 -6.2
#7 2.1 -2.9
#8 0.8 -4.2

Following the mathematical rules for addition and subtraction, here is what I come up with, with my numbers on the right:

#1 -2.1 -7.1 2.9
#2 1.4 -3.6 6.4
#3 -0.8 -5.8 4.2
#4 1.2 -3.2 6.2
#5 -1.4 -6.4 3.6
#6 -1.2 -6.2 3.8
#7 2.1 -2.9 7.1
#8 0.8 -4.2 5.8

Where did he come up with a fuel rate of 5?
How did he arrive at all those negative numbers?

My take on this balance rate stuff is that it's an indicator of a deviation from a standard number, hence the allowance of plus or minus 4, with zero being normal.

So those raw balance numbers are valid, IMHO.

I would like to hear more on this.

81 - 100 of 123 Posts