Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that the stock backspace for a 2004 2500HD is 4.75 inches. I would like to put some Eagle wheels that are 16x8 with a backspace of 4.25 inches. I am also will be running a 265/75/16 tire. Anyone know if I will have trouble with rubbing on the suspension parts or calipers and/or unusual front end wear due to the different backspace?

·
Registered
211 Posts
4.25 inches will probably be OK. They'll stick out further than the stock wheels and they'll have a tendency to throw mud and dirt up onto the rocker panels. You might like a 4.5 inch backspace better. 4.5's stick out just a little more than stock but the the side of the truck stays cleaner than with the 4.25's.

I run the Eagle alloy 194's (16x8) with 4.5 inch backspace and 265x75x16 tires. I did have to pull the right front fender liner in closer to the front bumper and tie it there to prevent rubbing when turning hard to the left. No other problems.

Edited by: tbrowne

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
SonnyBear said:
I understand that the stock backspace for a 2004 2500HD is 4.75 inches. I would like to put some Eagle wheels that are 16x8 with a backspace of 4.25 inches. I am also will be running a 265/75/16 tire. Anyone know if I will have trouble with rubbing on the suspension parts or calipers and/or unusual front end wear due to the different backspace?

I am sure you have already worked this out, but for other's info:

OEM wheels have 5.0" backspacing (measured it myself), H2 take-offs have 5.5" backspacing. steering knuckle lift kits (Rancho, FABTECH, RCD, etc) require no more than 4 5/8ths BS for large tires (34" and bigger.)

One of the main issues is the width of the wheel and the tire. the larger the tire the more "bulge" that will spread outside the width of the wheel. this will rub on the spindle going straight. also the width will impact rubbing on the tB and the fender during sharp turns and off roading. The H2 rims work better with 33" or smaller tires. The take-off tires will require a lift kit and/or some mods. Be careful because this will impact the performance and b to b warranty.

I am running LT265x75R16 on factory rims. If you want to do a lift and want to use H2 take-offs, select a bracket lift kit instead of a spindle (steering knuckle) lift kit. The will give you more BS for the wheels and tires.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
i am running 315s with weld renegades on stock suspension (cranked up of course). wheels have 5.25 bs and I rub very slightly, occasionally.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts