Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently upgraded to the Allison deep pan and deep filter. I used the Allison part number 29542824 second generation filter in my 2007.5 LMM. I also used the Merchant Automotive deep filter lock.

When installing it it seemed to fit somewhat strange. The filter lock seemed to compress the filter a lot, and the filter seemed to be offset a little from the lock.

Did I make a mistake in using the Allison part number 29542824?
Should I have used the Allison part number 29537966?

After researching it some it looks like the 29542824 is for 2010 models and up.

Any harm in running the 29542824 in my 2007.5?

Is there any difference in the seal and tube diameter?
It seems to be working fine but I don't want to risk cavatating my pump.

Notice how the filter doesn't cover the complete surface of the filter lock. Also how it compressed the plastic splines on the neck of the filter tube. It was solid in there and the filter couldn't move at all.

Should I drain the pan and switch out the filter for the 29537966?

Thanks for any input!

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
If you look closely you will see that the Black Bolt that mounts the filter lock to the valve body has to be accessible with a wrench if they moved the filter lock further over to cover more filter you wouldn't have access to that Bolt to tighten

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Here's a picture with the old style 29537966 filter. You can see the lock covers the whole filter. I'm mainly worried if there is a chance that with what I have the filter can suck air and cavitate the pump. My real question is can I use the new style filter in a LMM

Attachments

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is the difference between the two filters

old Allison p/n 29537966 (top picture)

new Allison part number 29542824 (bottom picture)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
I recently upgraded to the Allison deep pan and deep filter. I used the Allison part number 29542824 second generation filter in my 2007.5 LMM. I also used the Merchant Automotive deep filter lock.

When installing it it seemed to fit somewhat strange. The filter lock seemed to compress the filter a lot, and the filter seemed to be offset a little from the lock
Maybe M/A and Suncoast never updated there lock to the new filter. This new filter has been out at least 6years
Post 12,17
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/57-gm-transmissions/41-allison-oem/439284-filterlock-allison-oem-deep-pan-swap-2.html
Post 4
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/57-gm-transmissions/41-allison-oem/366889-where-correct-numbers.html
If you don't feel comfortable put in the old filter number.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I can see now in the pictures of the differences between the two filters the input neck on the filters are in different locations making the filter move over to the one side more to where it looks like it would be a better fit with the filter lock. It was my understanding that these filters go up into the transmission then when the pan is bolted on the bottom of the pan it's close enough to prevent the pan from falling out of the transmission is that correct? Or is that only with the shallow pan?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Never used the filter lock, no problem with filter falling out, (2 filter changes so far).

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never used the filter lock, no problem with filter falling out, (2 filter changes so far).
Which filter part number did you use?

·
Registered
465 Posts
I can see now in the pictures of the differences between the two filters the input neck on the filters are in different locations making the filter move over to the one side more to where it looks like it would be a better fit with the filter lock. It was my understanding that these filters go up into the transmission then when the pan is bolted on the bottom of the pan it's close enough to prevent the filter from falling out of the transmission is that correct? Or is that only with the shallow pan?[/QUOTE

Meant filter.... not pan

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Off hand I couldn't tell you the part number, but I just buy them from a local Allison dealer.
I tell him the year and model of the truck and the model of the transmission, and that it has the standard Allison pan which by GM's definition is the deep pan.

Out he comes with the correct part, I ask if it has the longer tube.

GM actually uses a shallow pan as stock.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
The question should have been directed to Allison anyway on which one to use

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
You would think the Old Deep Pan Filter 29537966 filter would stop production on certain date and the New Deep Pan Filter 29542824 start production.
That's the way it works with in GM parts supplier. But the Old part 29537966 is still being manufactured.
Both part numbers application is 2001-2012 but there's Vendors on here don't even sell the New part number.
So that's telling me the Old Part 29537966 has its own application and still needs to be manufactured.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
You would think the Old Deep Pan Filter 29537966 filter would stop production on certain date and the New Deep Pan Filter 29542824 start production.
That's the way it works with in GM parts supplier. But the Old part 29537966 is still being manufactured.
Both part numbers application is 2001-2012 but there's Vendors on here don't even sell the New part number.
So that's telling me the Old Part 29537966 has its own application and still needs to be manufactured.

When it comes to the transmission, I don't bother going to GM, I just go to the Allison dealer.

Especially since GM sold Allison several years ago.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After comparing many images of both filters (installed and not installed),and having driven about 300 miles, I've come to the conclusion that both the old and new filters are acceptable. From what I've learned, I would have preferred to use the old style. It appears to be better made, and fits more centered in the pan.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
When it comes to the transmission, I don't bother going to GM, I just go to the Allison dealer.
Especially since GM sold Allison several years ago.
I do to. I go W.W.Williams. Just like ACDelco. Some GM part numbers are the same as ACDelco part numbers.
Same goes for GM Part number and Allison part number, there the same number same part just less money.
Most GM parts I get for free but not this filter.

·
Gone but not forgotten member
2,582 Posts
I do to. I go W.W.Williams. Just like ACDelco. Some GM part numbers are the same as ACDelco part numbers.
Same goes for GM Part number and Allison part number, there the same number same part just less money.
Allison to some degree has tried to distance themselves from the Allison 1000 series transmissions due to the sale of Allison when GM sold off Allison back in 2006-2007. GM retained the rights to the 1000 series transmission for the light duty trucks so Allison has no say in what GM does with the it [transmission] or the part numbers.

GM owns ACDelco, may be why they have the same part numbers. It's taken this long for the "dust" to settle about part numbers and with the ACDelco using imports who knows what you're getting I would not use ACDelco for this reason. Filtrans was the original supplier to Allison for the filters and have the Allison logo stamped on them..

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
GM owns ACDelco, may be why they have the same part numbers. It's taken this long for the "dust" to settle about part numbers and with the ACDelco using imports who knows what you're getting I would not use ACDelco for this reason.
So you don't use any of the thousands of GM Part numbers that are packaged in a ACDelco box?
I use to work for GM and we would package our parts labeled Ford, Chrysler, GM, ACDelco, Honda, Toyota, etc
China owns the plant now and they still package to the hundred costomers specifications.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts