Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey this question goes out to those that have propane, along with big horsepower tuners. Do you think that the propane gives a substantial amount of power when using say the 215quad and tranny destroyer stacked. I am looking into adding it(supplier says he will do it for free, wants my truck to stay atop and spank everybody at the pulls). I just don't want to go through the hassle of mounting the tank and running the lines, or getting it for free for a minimal gain.

I would like to stay "drug free" (no drugs allowed in our pulls, but some guys are running prop, and or nos)but wouldn't mind it on tap when needed if #s are there. I have gone over king d's dyno #s and seen that a shot of prop. only gained him 17 horses running with the 215quad.(but remember something about tires slipping on the rollers)

Anybody out there with a set-up similar to mine(king d, sdaver)......dyno #s, set of the pants,1/4mile times. Lets hear it.

Also i plan on doing injectors, and turbo next spring(when they have been out for a while and tested awhile), would doing these upgrades pretty much wipe out any gains from prop. or would they enhance the prop.???
Later Jeremy

Edited by: heartbeatcanada

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I would go with nitrous to cool the intake charge and clean up the unburnt fuel (black smoke) you can get from stacking boxes before I would add more fuel (propane) to the motor.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
the nitruos imho is the way to gop first,you already have so much black smoke with the quad that the propane isnt gonna be able to do that much ,i mean the more black smoke you have the lss kick the propane will give.use the nos to clean the smoke up and then if you wish add propane later as once the nos has been added you can turn up the propane and really start to push the power out but then again you are prolly gettin close to the limits of the bottom end.....jess

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
PROBABLY NOT WITH A BIG BOX WITH LOTS OF TIMING

DAVE

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
I agree.... propane is nice by itself or with one box not set too high.

One of the other problems with propane is regulating between heavy boost pulling and heavy boost performance. Big difference. Heavy boost pulling the extra fuel being dumped into the cylinders along with the lp... the engine chokes for oxygen and pings. You almost need two valves preset to two different types of running. A switch flips you back and forth.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. I figured as much. Now to decide if the other "drug" will be added or not. I doubt it, but one never knows. Thanks
Later Jeremy

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
hoot you got the wheels turning wonder if someone could rig two PS2000 and switch them via a signal from tow/haul. hmmm

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
chevmeister said:
hoot you got the wheels turning wonder if someone could rig two PS2000 and switch them via a signal from tow/haul. hmmm
I'm sure that could be done but I would want total control.

You might want to use T/H in the performance mode.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Jeremy, I have been on of many who has had bad experiences with propane. It is pretty difficult to set up propane and make power without causing any detonation. Definatly take these guys advise and try NOS first. The main thing that is needed for all of yall Duramax guys in the high 400's and low 500's is an aftermarket turbo that will cut down on the backpressure and flow more air to burn all that fuel. It's to bad one hasn't been developed one as of yet because there is a lot more hp on tap for the guys that are blowing black smoke out tail pipe. As soon as one is developed I bet there will be a lot of 600+hp duramax guys out there with no EGT problems.

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
I have no problem running propane using the PowerShot2000 as long as I use it for what it is set for. It's set for performance and is trouble free. I would think propane would be safer than NOS.

I've been using it for two years..... every day.

Here's my switches...

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All you guys running propane, these systems you run are vapour correct??? I have heard about guys running liquid propane. What 's with the 2 different applications???? As far as i understand the liquid is more hard-core(more hps) and better chance of something to go bad, but if it were used say just for truck pulls then where's a guy? Still safer to stick with vapour??? I haven't done too much investigating into either application yet, so i'm still new to all this propane shiznaz. Later Jeremy

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
They all use vapor in the end. The liquid systems use liquid up to an evaporator that is a unit hooked up to your engine cooling lines. When the liquid enters it it turns into a vapor and is then fed as vapor.

Some guys like that system better because there is less chance of an accidental liquid "shot" that could cause hyrdo-lock. Kinda like pouring water into your intake.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts