Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't see alot of guys running lp. Those who are, show us what you got.

Most of you have seen mine. See my signature if you haven't.

What was the main reason you added lp?

MORE POWER (no pun intended)

How often do you use it?

Probably 60% of the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,381 Posts
Hey Hoot, it is good to see you as a "newbie"! I guess you register at every new forum?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cdhd2001 said:
Hey Hoot, it is good to see you as a "newbie"! I guess you register at every new forum?
Yea I'm member number 2 on Disney.com


A lot of guys lost their seniority on the other site due to system crashes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
941 Posts
cd-


This may be the only time we can keep up with Hoot and Mackin post wise!! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,381 Posts
4x4man,

No kidding! Although, I do wonder if Hoot actually works considering the sheer number of posts he makes!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cdhd2001 said:
4x4man,

No kidding! Although, I do wonder if Hoot actually works considering the sheer number of posts he makes!
It's easy to post when your job is in front of computers all day and you have cable modem. Part of my job involves processing on a Unix workstation. I have plenty of in between times to browse and post.....

Plus.... I type fast


Did you hear they caught the virus author? I think they said he's an 18 year old computer geek that's 6'4" and weighs over 300 lbs.

Twinky heaven.

Thankfully I'm only slightly overweight.

Anyway.... this site needs all the posts it can get. Feel free.Edited by: hoot
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Ahh, good old propane. Got love it, inexpensive and relatively safe power.


I use a system the is pretty much the same as Powershot 2000 that I put together myself for about $200.00.


I use it for a varitey or reasons, main thing is to keep the egt's down. I run a WD Tri-Power w/cal PMT3, I know I should update that but I like it.
</v:stroke></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:ulas></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shape> I can run High Output on the chip with propane at full throttle for over a mile from a dead stop and not see over 1350F. However without it I will see 1500+. Ya that is bad I know.


They recommend not running the "High Output" with propane because of detonation issues. I don't experience detonation until I get down to 2000 ft above sea level. But 99% of the time I’m at 6000ft+ and it runs very well.


Propane also helps clear up the smoke, kinda goes with egt’s, and with that chip it does smoke like an old coal burner. I get just a haze with it on at full throttle.


All the failures I have seen from propane seem to stem from what I can only call "Stupid Misuse". They have it cranked up to much with to much advance. Some people that pull with propane won't even notice it until it is too late. They are driving along, music turned up, kids yelling, wife yapping and then boom. They are now looking at a see through oil pan.



Propane is safe if used right and is cheaper then NOS.


Main Benefits:


Improved Power
Cleaner Oil-Due to a more complete burn
Lower EGTs
Better Mileage


But if misused, you will be looking for a new engine. If anyone needs one I can get them cheap.



I am all for propane, just remember a couple of things. Get a good system, like Powershot 2000, a custom tuned chip to run with propane, and listen for detonation!Edited by: TomHill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,262 Posts
Alright alright .....

I got it had it can't wait to use it to it's full potential ...... Right now my tank and box is sitting in my warehouse ..... I chose the semi portable install so I could still retain full use of my long bed ....



Pane

Mac
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tom,

Does your setup draw vapor? Does it modulate with boost pressure?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
hoot said:
tom,

Does your setup draw vapor? Does it modulate with boost pressure?

I use this regulator http://www.regulatorstore.com/96belrel14np.html


I "T" into the boost line, with that it supplies a pilot pressure to the regulator. It is very effective in the fact that the regulator will supply propane in proportion to boost. I also have a cutoff solenoid at the tank along with a Rego pressure regulator. I have a switch with a led in the cab to show when it is engaged.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TomHill said:
hoot said:
tom,

Does your setup draw vapor? Does it modulate with boost pressure?

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">I use this regulator <FONT color=#800080 size=2>http://www.regulatorstore.com/96belrel14np.html</font><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p></span>


<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">I "T" into the boost line, with that it supplies a pilot pressure to the regulator. It is very effective in the fact that the regulator will supply propane in proportion to boost. I also have a cutoff solenoid at the tank along with a Rego pressure regulator. I have a switch with a led in the cab to show when it is engaged.</span>
Nice.

Does it have any kind of on time and flow adjustment capability or do you add valving for that?

The Powershot has "On" boost threshold which can be set as low as 2 psi. You never get flow under that boost level. You can adjust that upwards for tow setting. It also has a flow control adjustment. It looks like Powershot took the valve design you use and made a custom valve with adjustment features we need. I took mine all apart once to clean it. Being a machinist, I can tell you it is a fine piece of workmanship. The body is all CNC machined out of billet aluminum and black anodized afterward. The kit came 100% complete except for the tank. At the time I got a great deal at $499. They now list at $650.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
hoot said:
Nice.

Does it have any kind of on time and flow adjustment capability or do you add valving for that?

The Powershot has "On" boost threshold which can be set as low as 2 psi. You never get flow under that boost level. You can adjust that upwards for tow setting. It also has a flow control adjustment. It looks like Powershot took the valve design you use and made a custom valve with adjustment features we need. I took mine all apart once to clean it. Being a machinist, I can tell you it is a fine piece of workmanship. The body is all CNC machined out of billet aluminum and black anodized afterward. The kit came 100% complete except for the tank. At the time I got a great deal at $499. They now list at $650.

Thanks.


I agree Powershot has a very nice system, and well worth the money too. Installed one on a friend’s truck, very complete with instructions and craftsmanship is awesome.


I do not have mine setup with any kind of an on time trigger(other then my finger.
), I do however have a Hobbs switch which I was thinking about adding, so I could adjust the system to start the flow at up to 12psi.


If anybody was to add propane, I would say the Powershot is the best one I've seen. The only reason I did a DIY system is because I'm cheap, plus I rather have a system that will flow at all boost levels. Keep in mind, I run a chip that over fuels the hell out of the engine, so it’s nice to have propane at all levels to help with the smoke. I got tired of getting $100 "smoke tickets" when I'm just rolling away from a light.
Edited by: TomHill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,006 Posts
hoot said:
I don't see alot of guys running lp. Those who are, show us what you got.

Most of you have seen mine. See my signature if you haven't.

What was the main reason you added lp?

MORE POWER (no pun intended)

How often do you use it?

Probably 60% of the time.
i have it use it not veryu often,at the track stop light playing with others ect...if for some reason i an running no power chip or tuner i run it all the time.i have a bully dog ajustable system,that comes on at about 7 psi of boost....jess
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top