Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking at JP Customs & saw they had projection headlights, are projection headlights that much better with the same 9006 & 9005 bulbs? What if you were to install hid kit in the projection?

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Moving to "Exterior"...

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
The projection headlights he sells come with H1 bulbs which are supposed to be better than the factory bulbs.

Plus they come with a Halo around the hedlight which has been out for GMC for a while but just became available for the Chevy's.

And there's 3 LED's on the side of the headlight too that you can hook up to your parking lights or turn signals if you want.

If you want to do the HID's too then you need to order them with the H1 bulbs, or if you have them already then you just have to splice in the new H1 bulbs to your existing ballast.

I have a picture of the lights on a truck somewhere here, when I find it I'll post it.

DD

Found it, these are the dark smoked headlights and parking lights

Attachments

·
Registered
825 Posts
Can't really comment on the quality of this item, but my guess is that the projector isn't great at all. You're probably looking to get good performance out of it in combination with HIDs but a cheap aftermarket projector won't do this.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
I have HID's in my stock headlight housings and they work perfectly... good cutoff lines and everything...

Thanks for that pic DD. Ive been loooking for a pic of those liguths installed

Cant decide if I liek the look of those projection chevy lights. As far as the clear corners, strangly I really dont like clear corners on the 2003+ Chevy lights. They just look wierd without the amber there IMO...

Ben

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I dont like the look of those projection chevy lights at all. They look funny to me because the outside of the lights are boxy and the centers are round, and they just dont look good with the truck IMO.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Well I'll see first hand how they look, I ordered a set of the smoked headlights and parking lights along with HID's to go with it.

DD

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Have you checked these out yet. I am going to get a set.. They are the Sylvania xenarc X2020

Attachments

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Do they make those for 03 and up ?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Do they make those for 03 and up ?
I wish! Someone needs to make a set of high quality Valeo projectors for 03- Chevys!

As far as this set from JP Customs goes, I'm sure they're great, but I wouldn't expect too much difference between these w/HIDs and Ben's setup. I'd really appreciate some pics and feedback once everything is in and installed!

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
DD let me know how the projectors work with the HID's...

·
Registered
817 Posts
Check the pattern if you put HIDs in projectors designed for halogens. If you dont have a good cutoff, expect to get flashed all the time and maybe pulled over.

There is very little blue light in halogens, but lots in HID's. The blue will get refracted differently by the projector lenses.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
so far I am pleasently surprised how the STOCK 2003+ headlight housings handle my HID retrofit kit. I have only been flashed once in the 2+ weeks ive had them installed. As a comparison I would get flashed ALL THE TIME when I had the Silverstar halogen bulbs in.

Ben

·
Registered
817 Posts
Those are REFLECTORS and should handle HIDs. Blue reflects the same.

If you got flashed with only silverstars, are they aimed right?

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
yep....they were aimed exactly the same as now when I hvae the HID's. Im not sure why..

·
Registered
817 Posts
Probably slightly different position for the "hot spot" relative to the mounting flange.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Check the pattern if you put HIDs in projectors designed for halogens. If you dont have a good cutoff, expect to get flashed all the time and maybe pulled over.

There is very little blue light in halogens, but lots in HID's. The blue will get refracted differently by the projector lenses.

Are you saying that the projector lights might not work as well with the HID's in them. ?

I liked the projectors mostly for the smoked look of them and also the Halo rings.

Hope the HID H1 bulbs will work well in them, don't want to get flashed (unless it's by a cute blonde) :exactly:

·
Registered
817 Posts
Maybe. They can have a different pattern, I just don't know if they will.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
cit1991 your in Houston go over to JP in Fulshear and see Jason he has a set of the Projectors with the stock H1's on a truck, see how they look and let us know.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts