Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone who is interested here is a progress report of my truck project. The project? Remove the gas motor and install a 6.2 diesel engine into my 1976 short wheelbase stepside pickup.

I removed the gasser and installed the diesel. All that is left to do is install an exhaust system and hook up the wires for the fuel filter. This is my first diesel, even though the exhaust is not on I wanted to start the engine. It took a long time to fire it up, I think it was a combination of air in the line and my not knowing how to start a diesel. I used the wiring diagram for the manual glow plug system at: http://dept.150m.com/diesel2.html at first I would just hold the glow plug button on but no dice. Then I tried pushing the button on and off repeatedly, that worked, it started to fire and finally got it running.

The stock gasser exhaust y- pipe bolts right up to the stock diesel exhaust manifolds. The gasser y pipe is 2 1/4" which is the same size pipe the diesel used in a dual system. I plan to use the stock y pipe by cutting it off where the two pipes meet, then weld on a 2 1/4" to 3' adapter and run a 3" exhaust from there. I'll post some photos when its done.

I need your help, this is a different subject but its important. I own a big satellite dish, as you know ESPN broadcasts the NFL, NASCAR and other major sporting events. Well effective Feb. 6, 2007 ESPN pulled the plug to big dish owners and so far they refuse to reactive it. There is a copy of a letter to ESPN with their address at: http://dept.150m.com/espn.html Please print the letter and mail it, by doing so you will be helping thousands of rural big dish owners get their programming back...thank you for your help.
http://www.the**********forums.com/tdpforum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=204590

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
great job on the engine swap! with the glow plugs, did you put 60G's in there? if not i'd recommend switching to them since your using a manual glow plug relay.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Glad to hear you got the engine in and running! :) :cool2:

That must be neat truck with that engine in it... :cool: What transmission are you running (can't remember :eek::)?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm running the 60g glow plugs, the manual system worked very good.
I'm running a 700r4 transmission with a 2:73 rear end, I'm hoping to get 25 mpg's. I can't wait to take it out on the road and see how it goes.

This project came together only with the help of you guys on this forum. I didn't know anything about a diesel, you guy got me through it.
Thank you all.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
:cool2: It's good to see a swap get finished. :)

700R4 and 2.73 gears... You should get 25 mpg easily on the highway, but those gears are pretty tall. :eek: I'd be interested to hear how it performs with that setup...

·
Registered
310 Posts
How's the progress on this project? I'm about to undertake a very similar task - stuffing an army surplus 6.2 into a 1991 Chevy Stepside. I acquired the rust-free, 5 speed, 350-equipped truck yesterday for the purpose of making a diesel version of the old Dodge "Lil Red Express" trucks from the late 70's. I've got 3x 6.2L engines in the garage, just waiting to get used. Once this project is complete, I've got a Suburban to repower as well.

Just a hunch, but the 6.2L should be able to power the smokestacks appropriately! First hitch to the setup - the fuel filler door is in the way of the target area for the left smokestack...

Are there any hints, words of wisdom/warning that you can supply? I intend to install working hood scoops - I figure anything I can do to push cold, pressurized air into the intake should help the power while on the road. It would be nice to recoup a little of the 40-70 mph passing power that the 350 has!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts