Diesel Place banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
I am still using my emissions compliant injector pump.
Idle, I can see that being wasteful. But on the highway the turbo chargers make between 3 and 6 pounds of boost. Adding the single turbo charger increased highway drivability all around and increased fuel mileage by 10%.
Problem with turning up the injector rate screw and not running boost on the highway is you will be smoking and running high exhaust gas temperature. But if you add more air the smoke wont be smoke it will get burned up, EGTs will be a lot lower, at least that's what happened for me with a turbo.

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
May be a dumb question, but how is the blower bearings lubricated?

The IP fuel setting can be turned up at most 1/2 a turn and then the IP starts to get "out of it's zone". It was not really designed to go that far. It will work turned up more but will less than perfect in general performance.

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
With the blower mounted side ways, most of the oil is going to go into the blower drive "snout". Lubrication may become an issue. Adding additional oil might flood the front snout seal as well as the lower blower seal. Not adding addition oil may starve the upper bearing since the oil will be in the "snout".
Just an observation by me. Not trying to condemn your project in anyway. Hopefully you can get this thing going. Quite sure people on the site are watching your progress.

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
Being a machinist I'd say that is a 30min job if you dont need to waste time looking for material and tools.
Not being a machinist but a un-certified home machinist I'd say 30 minutes would be awfully quick for a job from scratch.

Looking at the photos I'd say quite a bit of machine work could have been eliminated by not cutting the mount bolt recesses out and eliminating the outer 90 degree cutout on the outer edge. But hey I'm not there and there must be a good reason for it right? Looks good by any standard though.

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
Make sure the tensioner is on the non belt pulling side of blower. (left side viewed from the front.) Saw some setups on the net with the tensioner mounted wrong.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
thanks for all the tips and hints for the project.

-
The charger intake manifold attached. nipples for breathing and by-pass

-
lining up the pressure box, flange and tube assy

-

pressure assembly ready. the by-pass has a direct line to the inlet nipple. brass nipple is for pressure gauge, soldered to steel with silver

-
blocked the upper breather outlet under the tuna can and routed 19mm hose to the charger. blocked the intake manifold breather connectors.

-

saved the tensioner money, since i got a suitable left over tensioner from a friend who works at a parts shop. it is from a Renault or some other French compact. he also helped to find the belt, there was only one option to pick (1400mm) near the measured length (1385mm). close enough to continue the project.

-

... and got it all together today.

-

-

my lower back was already hurting for leaning down to the engine, so i did a lazy decision and welded the tensioner brackets solid. the tool to disassemble it is an angle grinder :whistle: i reasoned it to myself, if i ever need to do major repairs i will for sure pull the engine and do bearings&rings too, then it will be easier to do the tensioner brackets right.

so... i got it running a few hours ago.
the boost pressure is lower than i expected and hoped for. at idle 2psi. idles and runs fine. no weird noises or rattles.

went to a test drive. noticeably better power down low. rev happy for a diesel. feels like a gasoline engine below approx 2500rpm. The biggest boost number i got, before 2-3 upshift, was 6psi -- which is a bit disappointment.

When designing, i was looking for a bigger crank pulley, but this 6.7" was the largest stocked i could find. Maybe later i'll change the Eaton pulley from 2.8" down to 2.4".

As said, down low it has much more power, it will spin back tires (w/ tru-track posi) flooring it from stand still on dry asphalt :HiHi:
when revs keeps climbing up it kind of falls short... however, i am not sure whether the belt slips, since the tensioner is about to reach out of scale. i will get a 5mm shorter belt tomorrow. high revving you can hear blower whining :)

the tensioner alignment needs a minor adjustment too. and air filter setup is needed. i will block the by-pass, it won't be needed for 2psi idle boost.

i had just a short test drive after working on it all day.
i'll update again, when new belt and be sure the belt is not slipping.

sorry for disorganized post, i'm exhausted, but wanted to share the news.

cheers :beerchug:

·
Registered
238 Posts
That's awesome!

The hardest part of a project like this is getting it to a point where its running again, so congratulations! The hardest part is over.

Hopefully the smaller pulley will get you 1-2 psi more. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
2psi at idle?
Beast mode has been achieved.

What super charger is that again and how much did it cost?

I say try to find a larger crank pulley, when you go down to 2.5'' on the blower pulley some times they slip.

I am very happy with my T76 over HE351VE but its hard to argue with 2psi at idle.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
@dieselpro; thanks for the observation about lubrication.
i filled in a shot more oil

@donny01tj; thanks :)

@oil_pan_4; the pump is Eaton M112 from a V8 Jaguar.
bought it at a local 'craigslist' for €550 (~ $600).

--

I relocated the tensioner on the bracket, since the tensioner was reaching dead end with 1400mm belt. I have the 5mm shorter belt waiting, but now it is working with this though. It is obvious the belt was slipping on initial test drive. Now it pulls clear all the way to upshifts.
However, the boost numbers are not any better.

The truck is pleasant and easy to drive now, even at this moderate pressure level. No problems whatsoever.

Did i mention i have a corvette/camaro std Torque Converter at front of the TH700. The stall flashes up to about 2000rpm, just about to the peak torque . Now, with the SC it is a great combo for traffic light beating. I only need to show my big toe to the go-pedal, and off we go :HiHi: A slightly higher stall works great on a such a light weight truck as C10, with 3.73+ gears. And with an adjustable speed TCC controller, that i have, the extra slippage is tamed down at highway.

The truck has been extremely economical this far, 11l/100km (21mpg) combined. Though, because now i tend to use the available power at every stop, the mileage will drop for sure. On the other hand i reread Eaton documentation for M112 -- with these mediocre charger rpms and boost levels the Eaton should eat away only about 10hp parasitic. So i consider the over-all efficiency is not far away to a turbo.

Yet being disappointed about the boost levels, i rebrowsed the pulley offering, and ordered a 9.2" 8-groove pulley at Summit ATI-916163-15
As soon as the pulley arrives, someday next week, I will carry the accessory pulley, adapter, old and new pulley to the same machinist and ask him to modify the adapter to fit the new pulley with the same height offset.

The pulley ratio will grow up hefty 37%. The charger revolutions will be :

dia 6.7" 9.2"
ratio 2,4 3,3
1000 2400 3300
2000 4800 6600
3000 7200 9900
3600 8640 11880

Previously i mentioned the pressure estimation formulas is used. Now that i can observe the boost given on contemporary setup, i can calculate backwards and assume the Engine Volymetric Efficiency is 0.85 and SC-VE 0.80

with 3.3 pulley ratio the boost should outcome to

379ci * 3600rpm / 3456 * .85 [eng VE] = 336cfm

Eaton M112 is 112 in3 = 0.065 ft3, so
.065 ft3 * 3.3 [pulley ratio] * 3600rpm * .0.80 [SC VE] = 618cfm
hence
618cfm / 336cfm * 14.7 - 14.7 = 12.3psi (0.85bar)

12psi with stock 6.2 might be living on the edge... but hey, life is :HiHi:

On the other hand, now the boost is too low for my taste. I can see the SC to increase boost linear per rpms. And, in my driving style i rarely floor it -- i only tend to enjoy the power down low and ease of driving around corners and traffic lights. So at the rpms the engine will usually see, the boost will be most propably just right. If pressure will jump up too far, i'll redesign the by-pass system.

@catrik; requested video & 'sound check' is coming with the new crank pulley :thumb:

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
Enjoyed reading, thanks for sharing. Your trepidation of 12psi boost with a stock 6.2L can somewhat be alleviated due to your using a SC instead of a turbo. Your back pressure levels in the exhaust are not elevated due to a turbo restriction. Our belief is that most of the HG failures experienced with this platform is due more to high drive pressures. Most of the turbo's being run on these trucks vary from 1:1.5 to 1:2 (boost to DP). This makes your 12psi in reality 18-24psi in the engine. When this is combined with high CR, something has to give....LOL. This said, we tickled 40psi, and present engine has received a constant 30-35psi pulling our equipement trailer (not stock 6.2L)....anyways, keep up your great work. One of my enjoyable reads on the site....J&J.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Your trepidation of 12psi boost with a stock 6.2L can somewhat be alleviated due to your using a SC instead of a turbo. Your back pressure levels in the exhaust are not elevated due to a turbo restriction. Our belief is that most of the HG failures experienced with this platform is due more to high drive pressures.
Yeah what he said.
I have hit 20psi on mine a few times and it regularly see 13psi will run at 5psi for hours. All I am using is a 506 block, stock head gaskets, head bolts and 6.2 small valve heads. But I run huge turbos.
I too believe the 6.2 and 6.5L head gasket problems are caused by extreme drive pressure.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
I just noticed you had an adjustable torque converter controller.
I would like to know more about that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
thanks for your encouraging response. I'm turning positive that the occasional, expected, 12psi without turbo exhaust back-pressure will be safe.

@ turbonator, some impressive boost levels you hit :bow:

The Summit order came today. It is crazy that sometimes it seems to take longer to receive deliveries inside the country than cross-atlantic.

9.2" pulley is huge. It will run close to the water pump already.

I talked to the machinist guy and it shouldn't take many days to modify the adapter to the new pulley. I'll drop the parts there tomorrow morning.

-

@oilpan4
the Torque Converter Clutch adjustable speed controller is my own design. Using popular Arduino micro-controller platform.

You can find lots of information about Arduino at Google. It is easy to play with for an electronics beginner too. The board for TCC in my setup is Arduino UNO, you can purchase UNO for only a few bucks at Ebay.

Here is schema about the TCC-controller.

Relay coil must not draw more than 50mA, since the chip can't deliver more. In the schema you must use 5V relay. I think i put a small 2N2222 transistor to drive a 12V relay. In my truck the TCC would want engage at 60km/h (40mph), too low speed, hence the original TCC signal is run through the relay. The pot is set to TCC at ~80km/h (50mph). Wiring this way the original TPS based TCC disengage works too.

Pot feeds Arduino analog pin and the chip calclulates the TCC apply speed based on the pin input level.

The Vechicle Speed Sensor (VSS) signal can be found (in my 87 C10) above transmission under the dash at the cruise control module, yellow wire. Didn't plan it, but nice feature is swithing cruise control off (leftmost position at the turn signal lever switch) disables TCC (VSS signal). Can't remember the exact value for the VSS wire resistor, since i had to increase it due to noise and occasional tcc on/off cycling... but i think it is close to 300k now that it is working ok.

Arduino programing language is based on C-language, uploaded to the chip via USB from a PC. You can download the Arduino development and upload software for free at arduino site.

At the code there is 5km/h (3mph) separation between TCC engage and disangage to prevent tcc jumping.

The program code i am using is short

// TCC control Chevrolet C10 '87
// 5.1.2016

const int VSSpin = 10;
const int TCCpin = 12;
const int POTpin = 5;
int vssCounter = 0;
int vssState0 = 0;
int vssState1 = 0;
int potRead = 0;
int tccOn = 0;
unsigned long timeStamp = 0;

void setup()
{
pinMode(TCCpin, OUTPUT);
pinMode(VSSpin, INPUT);
pinMode(POTpin, INPUT);
}

void loop()
{
vssCounter = 0;
timeStamp = millis();

while (millis() < timeStamp + 1500)
// 1500ms resolution from VSS-pulse
// vssCounter freq 40Hz/1000ms @ 60km/h
// easiest way to change VSS-counter (pot scale) to fit your vechicle VSS is
// to change the 1500ms resolution.
// in my truck value 1500 does vsscount = km/h, making code changes easy
{
noInterrupts();
vssState0 = digitalRead(VSSpin);
interrupts();

if (vssState0 != vssState1)
{
vssCounter++;
vssState1 = vssState0;
}

}

potRead = analogRead(POTpin);
potRead = 85 - (potRead/45); // constant 85kmh is the max adjustable tcc apply speed
// /45 divider sets the pot speed scale

if (tccOn == 1)
{
potRead = potRead - 5; // tcc on-off separation speed 5kmh
}

if (potRead < vssCounter)
{
tccOn = 1;
digitalWrite(TCCpin, HIGH);
}
else
{
tccOn = 0;
digitalWrite(TCCpin, LOW);
}
}

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
That's great.
I work with a lot of programmable logic controllers and I have programmed them before.
I guess I should start messing with arduino stuff.
The C programming is just a lot different than PLC.

I was also reading that the TH700R4 transmission converter lock up cant handle tons of torque. It may be a good idea to disengage the lock up under elevated boost levels.

How much room was left between the supercharger and the hood?

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Look at how much more power the supercharger is going to need spinning faster even if its just making the same pressure.

Attachments

Reactions: pocale

·
Registered
106 Posts
Interesting graphs. How do you read the performance map, what do the different shades of blue mean? Are they from Eaton/manufacturer? I wonder how those would look like with a roots, 6-71 or whichever would be the closest similar size.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
These are both compressor maps for the M112.
On the 3D map the different shades of blue are compressor efficiency levels.
Then on the horizontal axis you have compressor RPM and flow then on the vertical axis then on the horizontal axis in absolute pressure.
I have not bothered to work out what cubic meters per hour are in cubic feet per minute but since we know the compressor speed and pressure level we can map for it.
Give me a roots compressor map, what over drive you are going to run and I can do the same thing.

This is what I think is happening inside the engine and supercharger represented by the red line. We know he is getting about 10psi at 10,000RPM.
With the 9 inch diameter pulley (the orange line) running the blower at 12,000RPM he should be getting nearly 14psi.

Attachments

Reactions: Aishling and pocale

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks for the explanation, so darker the blue, worst the efficiency and higher temp. Would that mean that mid rpm it is going to be worse efficiency than at full rpm? According to the line you drew

21 - 40 of 79 Posts