Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ran a Edge /w att setup on my 01 LB7 for awhile now and used HPTuners to log stuff when ive dynoed it or ran it hard.

I just tried to install a PPE programmer and it gets to the point where im trying to install it and throws a error everytime. I called PPE and they asked if i had an aftermarket stereo, saying the obd-II purple? wire is being affected by my stereo.

I dont really how/where its causing the issue. I unplugged the deck/stereo head unit and pulled the stereo fuses as well and it still does it. I installed the stereo myself (deck, amps, subs etc) and dont remember tapping into anything. PPE made it sound like a normal problem with aftermarket stereos but no solution on how to fix it.

I tried reading the stock BIN file from the PCM with HPtuners and it wont download and errors out as well.

Anyone know what wire they are talking about and how to fix it.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
wrong. 01-02 radios dont talk on the data bus. Something else is causing the problem.

this is only "sometimes" a problem with 2003+ aftermarket radios.

ben

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing happened to me trying to install a Bully Dog programmer on my 03 that has an aftermarket stereo. I put the factory stereo back in and still had the same problems. I went as far as taking the truck back to the dealer and having them reflash the ecu to stock just incase the truck already had a program installed and it still wouldn't work. Bully Dog technical support couldn't figure it out either. I ended up taking the box back and got my money back but would really like to know the answer to this question so I can get another programmer and not be limited to just piggy back boxes.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
More than likely the 2001 ECM boot loader is locked up. This can happen (and quite frequently does) at the dealer during a re-flash without anyone knowing it. It is a bug in the SPS dealer system.

I've seen this many times.

The truck will run fine and log fine but you can't flash the ECM. The cure is to remove and replace the flash chip. :(

The 2003+ versions will generally work if you remove the "radio" and "info" fuse.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I had a similar problem after I had my remote starter installed. They tapped into the purple wire under the dash for the remote starter and my PPE would not load with the wire hooked up. I installed a quick connect on the purple wire to my remote start. Now I disconnect the wire when changing tunes and plug it back in when I am done, and all is well. Another thing to try is, turn your ignition on to acess.. and wait a couple seconds before plugging the programmer in then try loading your tune again.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Just thought of something else. When I had my remote starter installed, I also had some subs and a amp installed. I know they had to put in some sort of converter for my factory bose system to work with a aftermarket amp. That was one of the possible problems with loading my tunes,I was told when I was having the same problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
no OBD DATA w/Banks Six Gun & PDA

I installed a banks six gun on my 04 and right around the time I replaced the factory stereo with an aftermarket model I started having issues . I get a NO OBD DATA code from my PDA. Any ideas on how to correct this? I am pretty sure I installed the deck correctly and didnt cut any wires. Banks tested the equipment and said the problem was mine. I had the computer reprogramed in the truck at the dealer and still have the same problem. I am currently in Iraq now but this unresolved issue is driving me batty! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More than likely the 2001 ECM boot loader is locked up. This can happen (and quite frequently does) at the dealer during a re-flash without anyone knowing it. It is a bug in the SPS dealer system.

I've seen this many times.

The truck will run fine and log fine but you can't flash the ECM. The cure is to remove and replace the flash chip. :(

The 2003+ versions will generally work if you remove the "radio" and "info" fuse.
Thats exactly what it does. It logs fine but wont flash.

Ack! Sad part is I own a LS1 specialty speed/performance shop and tune about everything I can get my hands on with no problems, then i run into this and can't figure it out.

By remove/replace flash chip, you mean swap out the pcm correct?

Question: Is the duramax computer the same part # as the standard silverados? I don't do much with diesels so i havent checked but if so, i have stacks of stock computers I flash for mail order customers.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tttt anyone?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
2001 Duramax ECM part number is 09388505
2002 -2004 LB7 Duramax ECM part number is 12210729

The Duramax ECM is not the same as gas truck nor are the 2001's the same as the later Duramax ECM's.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow so just swap out the whole computer to solve it?? ack!

I'll call my local truck wrecking place tomorrow and score one cheap to try.

Thanks for the part # guys..thatll make it easy for me to try out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So in the case of the 03+ models you said remove the radio/ info fuse. Is that during the flash process or just in general to reset the flash?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Still looking for solution

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ordered a 02-04 pcm and loaded it with my VIN #. I'll be trying it shortly. Hope it takes care of the problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The purple wire attached to the data wire in the obd2 plug if done correctly and proper modules used should not affect that. Sounds like the Ground Out When running output on the remote starter is engaged and shouldnt be unless you remote start.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I had this problem a while ago when I tried uploading the Bully Dog Power Pup onto my ECM. Wouldn't read the VIN or something so I just returned it and have been running the Edge since. Would like to be able to use my HPTuners on the truck though...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I still cant get it to work actually....

I dont have any type of remote start on my truck. I have the 02-03.5 PCM in my truck and have been running it with my vin loaded since, but still havent had any luck getting the tuner to load in.

Anyone help?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts