Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told today by a 03 lb7 owner that he had heard that the way these programers work causes the rear main seals to leak. Is there any truth to that?

Thanks,

Brett

·
Registered
941 Posts
I've been juiced for nearly 13,000 miles, no rear main leaks on my 03. As a matter of fact, not problems at all!!

Bob

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Mine must've been what made my belt tensioner creak...

·
Registered
611 Posts
Juiced for 45,000 miles, NO PROBLEMS

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
The only thing that causes oil leakes on a Dmax is cold weather. Check the TSB's.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Just a thought here, maybe I'm way off base but.......More boost/more fuel = more cylinder pressure, with more cylinder pressure than stock maybe... just maybe a little gets by the rings and increases crankcase pressure... which then overcomes the seals ability to do its job. Next thing you know a little weeping on the pavement.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Trippin said:
Just a thought here, maybe I'm way off base but.......More boost/more fuel = more cylinder pressure, with more cylinder pressure than stock maybe... just maybe a little gets by the rings and increases crankcase pressure... which then overcomes the seals ability to do its job. Next thing you know a little weeping on the pavement.

Trippen

I buy that because i have seen it. The extra boost and sutch won't ruin the seal ( seals are metal clad with a built in lip that is held taught by a spring keeping tension on the lip sealing the crankshaft) it will just seep oil past the the crankshaft and seal under high boost.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
If your crankcase ventilation system is funtioning properly it should equalize any internal pressure caused by blowby. There should never be a positive condition inside your crankcase. Do we need to upgrade our PCV system for increased blow by?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Mike L. said:
Trippin said:

Trippen

I buy that because i have seen it. The extra boost and sutch won't ruin the seal ( seals are metal clad with a built in lip that is held taught by a spring keeping tension on the lip sealing the crankshaft) it will just seep oil past the the crankshaft and seal under high boost.

I kinda doubt it.

Since there's a 1/2"? hose that ventilates the crankcase with no restriction or valve of any kind. You'd have to have some serious blowby to create enough volume to overcome the hose then start leaking past the seals.

·
Banned
394 Posts
I THINK THE BLOWER MOTOR MAKES IT DO IT

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Rickles04,

Could you elaborate on your theory? By the way have you met Geno or Peanut? They hang out in the war room mainly.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Some people eh!!! God what does that program do? Suddenly add severe harmonic distortion by adding a couple degrees of timing, and a milisec or two of pulsewidth!!! hahaha. I Just can't believe what some people say!!!

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Duramax Diesel wrote:I think onstar causes the rear main leaks.

My paranoid little mind thought about that whole line of thinking when I very first heard of ONSTAR. I wonder if they cause injector failur as well? Better move this one to the BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING THREAD in accesories.

I am glad it is Friday!

ON EDIT: Seal failure/ Injector failure must be caused by Hackers working for Daimler Chrysler. Edited by: Bronco

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
grasshopper said:
Some people eh!!! God what does that program do? Suddenly add severe harmonic distortion by adding a couple degrees of timing, and a milisec or two of pulsewidth!!! hahaha. I Just can't believe what some people say!!!

Is this in reference to my post???

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Bronco said:
Rickles04,

Could you elaborate on your theory? By the way have you met Geno or Peanut? They hang out in the war room mainly.

Bronco

You suppose to be nice over here so leave us out of it, we have not bothered you------------ YET

Geno

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
grasshopper said:
No man its in response to the first original post, but if the shoe fits!!!!!

Your smiling so my feelings are only hurt a little bit!

I've had my HOT OJ on for 23,000 miles with no leaks! However, IMHO increased cylinder pressure could lead to a little weepage. I'm just saying in theory, increasing the timing, increasing the amount of fuel, etc are all aimed at increasing cylinder pressure. This is what we are all after. Increased cylinder pressure = more push on the piston which hopefully makes the truck go faster. (Insert transmission upgrade here). Now with any kind of sudden spike in boost or cylinder pressure there is the possibility that some of this might get by the rings. The term "ring flutter" has been used for many years to describe this phenomenon. Because the crank seals are basically rubber with springs around them this same type of flutter can happen there as well. Usually manifests itself in a slight drip here and there, not a constant leak. Hence my term "weepage".

Now, having witnessed a couple of engine dyno runs with "blowby" meters reading in "cfm" attached to the breathers and pressure guages monitoring the pressure in the oil pan, it was really interesting to note the pressure buildup in the pan vs how much blowby was actually flowing out the breathers. Any pressure in the pan is being "held" by the seals until it can escape up the internal passages of the engine past all the oil that is trying to drain down into the pan and finally out through the breathers.

Now we could talk about reving an engine higher than what it was originally balanced for....thereby inducing additional second, third, and fourth order harmonics into the crankshaft causing distortion and twist but thats a whole "nother" can of worms.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts