Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know if someone can explain exactly how programmers increase our horsepower and torque. Is it by adjusting timing, fuel pressure, boost, etc...? Also, do the adjustments make more wear and tear on the components it is adjusting/modifying? I would like my LBZ to last a long time and don't won't to add something to it that will reduce the mileage I will get out of it. Thanks

·
Registered
498 Posts
I am curious about the same thing. I was waiting and watching because I do not have an answer. Common sense tells me the more power you put thru the engine the more wear and tear. JMO

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's kinda what I'm thinking - even if you don't have your foot in it all the time.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Tuning increases power by 4 basic methods:

Timing - By shooting the fuel in sooner, you can improve mileage and power.
Injector duration - By shooting in more fuel, you make more power.
Turbo boost - By increasing boost, you can run more fuel and make more power.
Injection pressure - By increasing the pressure the fuel is shot in, you can increase power and mileage.

Not all tuners do all 4, but most do at least timing and duration.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
More power means more wear and tear in general. This is true for all engines.

But driveline failures while running "towing" tuning (~50-75hp) is fairly rare.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
You have to be careful in how the power is made. I have seen programs that get very high EGT to gain little to no power above others. Is the extra5 or 10 Hp worth 20,000 less miles of life? You need to sit down and really figure out what you want out of the truck and if your happy with the power it makes now leave it alone. Increasing the power output does increase the wear and tear on the componets that work with it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Don't mean to Hijack, but what would be a good long run type of tuner? I was looking at the preditor....

·
Registered
766 Posts
But driveline failures while running "towing" tuning (~50-75hp) is fairly rare.
I personally know of 2 trucks both early 05's that have had a tuner installed since new, edge J/A and EZ, and both have over 100K miles with no drive train issues and both tow campers. One is a 35' 5'er and the other is a 36' jayco bumper pull. Neither of these guys are what you would call easy on a truck but they are extremely well maintained. As HP goes up longevity goes down that is just simple mechanics but like McRat said and from personal experience with "chipped" diesels of all 3 brand's; stay under 100 hp and common sense with proper maintenance, (which I believe is the biggest factor in longevity), and they will last a long time. You have to remember that engineers over design these trucks for specific longevity and the more you creep into the overdesigned portion the more you take off the longevity.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts