Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, if i get a superchips programmer, or even a bullydog, if i run it on the lowest possible setting, will it affect my transmission that bad??

Also, im also wanting my speedo cal. too....thanks for the help....

·
Registered
63 Posts
no superchip is good about that superchip is really safe my buddy runs that on his 05 duramax but he leaves it on proformance all the time... nothing has happened to his tranny..

·
Registered
284 Posts
Ask those who know.

So, if i get a superchips programmer, or even a bullydog, if i run it on the lowest possible setting, will it affect my transmission that bad??
Checkout http://www.allisontransmission.com/service/faq/index.jsp?CategoryID=11

"They" say...

Q. Increasing Engine Power - If I install a kit to increase the engine power, what effect will that have on the transmission?

A. The transmission controls have been highly integrated with the LB7 and LLY Duramax diesels and L18 gas engines in GM pickups. Part of this integration is that the TCM has a 'map' of each engine's torque output throughout its operating RPM. The TCM uses 'Shift Energy Management' (SEM). During most range shifts, there is more power available than necessary to maintain acceleration. The unused engine power traditionally goes into slipping clutches, and results in additional heat without adding to vehicle performance. Through engine/transmission communication, SEM is the electronic control process that reduces torque during range upshifts to a level resulting in consistent transmission output torque before and after the shift. The net result is optimized shift quality as well as reduced clutch energy. Needless to say, when engine torque is increased significantly via various after-market methods, these features are greatly compromised. As with any mechanical system, there is a limit to the level of torque/power that the transmission can handle. Pumping excessive amounts of torque into the transmission will result in excessive heat, gear and bearing loads, and clutch energy absorption.

OR... Checkout MikeL's posts... (or call Mike) :exactly:

Also, im also wanting my speedo cal. too....thanks for the help....
Bully Dog Power Pup does that (on mine)... I'm sure the others will do that too...

Have fun... ):h

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't think the 40 horse setting will hurt you even if you are hard on it. I ussually run on performance on the power pup with no problems. I have had a couple of previous d maxes and ran them on 90 horse all the time and sometimes up to 150 no problems at all. I tow at slightly lower settings when i'm heavy.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont plan on racing at the stip ever weekend or anything, i just want the extra hp to blow some people off the road worse.. i had a friend who run his Hypertech on 90hp level and never had a problem..but he didn't have it for like 5000k then he sold the truck and bought another new one...

Is there anyway the dealer can trace that i had a chip on there if i detune it before taking it in for a service or something??

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
8100 Power,

Neither the Superchips or the Bully Dog will hurt the tranny if you keep it in the low HP setting. Keep in mind that if you tow a lot of weight that is almost the same as adding HP as far as the tranny is concerned too! If you have any questions on either product call us we have been selling them for years and can help you with questions etc.

Mark @ DPPI

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
PPE just released the programmer!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts