Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening,

I'm hoping some here has run into this problem while towing. In our recent trip to AR my trailer brakes went out. I quickly found out it is no fun having a 10,000+ Lb 5th pushing you through stop lights. The trip started out fine from Cali, but when we reached Oklahoma City things changed....Quickly

The controller was starting to act up! It may have flashing codes during the drive, but was not noticed till it got dark. The codes that it flashes after about 30 miles of driving are: SH (short), OL (overload) and sometimes NC (not connected).

help would be greatly appreciated.....TRX

·
Registered
275 Posts
Could be several different things such as a bad ground on the trailer, wire chaffed thru on the trailer or bad magnets on the trailer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had problems with my controller(drawtite) got a no connect when in the middle of decending wolf creek pass in Colorado. Managed to get it stopped just passed a switchback with just the truck brakes(all four wheels smoking), so I share your pain. I found out that my plugin was dirty & corroded. I cleaned the male/female ends with electrical spray and haven't had it happen since.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks,

Well at this point, anything is possible. The trailer is currently at a local RV shop. I hope they can figure this out, i believe the problem to be at the trailer. I had at least 3 shop look for the problem, most mention magnets in the drums of the trailer...yet they dont replace them....hmmmmmm

this problem never comes up when towing my buddies toyhauler for him on trips....go figure

·
Registered
27 Posts
It does sound like a problem with your trailer in particular. Bad ground or short in trailer maybe. Could have been some road debris was thrown up under the trailer and hit the wiring harness that goes into the brake backing plate. Hope your shop finds it, good luck... Make sure the brakes are adjusted up tight, mine did some strange things when the the brakes got out of adjustment

·
Registered
897 Posts
If in doubt change the magnets and all wiring related to the brakes on the trailer. Your really not looking at that much money for magnets and some wire. I would even replace the connector as cheap as those things are. That small amount of money would be well worth it next time your coming down a hill and wondering if the brakes will work or not. With brakes its just not worth it. Especially if you don't have enough tow vehicle to stop it. I see it everyday people hauling major weight with 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks. Yea they are fine till they have a problem like this. Just cause the engine will pull it doesn't mean the truck will handle it.
sorry didn't mean to ramble on there... but just replace everything and know its fixed. Your only looking at 4 magnets, some wire and a connector.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jperry:

This is the 3rd time it has been in for this problem. I finally told them to do just that, if the warranty would not cover the magnets and wires. I would gladly pay for them myself. I have this trailer push me twice into a intersection with the brakes locked up on my rig with larger than stock tires. I would like to have seen how long it would have pushed me with the Skinny stocks.

Well they told me it was ready yesterday, but i'll wait and see. I think i'll take a small drive to test with it before putting it to bed and finding out the brakes dont work on my to the next camping destination.

Thanks....TRX

·
Registered
897 Posts
Good luck with it, hope all works out this time.

Did they actually tell you what they did this time?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Another thing to help with the brakes or anything that is grounded to the frame is to run a ground wire from the plug to the brakes and/or lights. Also solder the connections. It does not cost much to run a ground wire.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well this time they stated, that they found bare wires in the lever arm (?). I'm not sure what they mean since i have not seen the system at work. I did take short trip to see if can get it to act up. So far.....So good

thanks all.......

Jperry: I almost bought a 2005 Regency truck dually. It's a nice truck just could not make the numbers work at the time....

SD-455: Is the Trans Am the same as "Smokey and The Bandit", that's a great car!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Just some info, sorry its late for your posts......Tekonsha has a "Lifetime" warranty on the prodigy brake controllers. Call 'em

·
Registered
353 Posts
Well this time they stated, that they found bare wires in the lever arm (?). I'm not sure what they mean since i have not seen the system at work. I did take short trip to see if can get it to act up. So far.....So good

thanks all.......

Jperry: I almost bought a 2005 Regency truck dually. It's a nice truck just could not make the numbers work at the time....

SD-455: Is the Trans Am the same as "Smokey and The Bandit", that's a great car!
I think the ones used in Smokey and the Bandit were 1976 models mine is a 1974. Pontiac only built 731 1974 T/A's with automatic transmissions and the SD-455 motor. They built 252 in 1973. EPA killed the SD-455 motor early in the 1974 model year. If you do a Yahoo search under SD-455 you will find some info on the motor.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I had problems with my controller(drawtite) got a no connect when in the middle of decending wolf creek pass in Colorado. Managed to get it stopped just passed a switchback with just the truck brakes(all four wheels smoking), so I share your pain. I found out that my plugin was dirty & corroded. I cleaned the male/female ends with electrical spray and haven't had it happen since.
Ah Wolfcreek Pass, I know it well, spent 3 days on top after grenading my tranny a mile from the top...What a fun trip, that was the last time I ever pulled a trailer with a half ton truck...
Anyway getting back to your Prodigy problem, I agree that it sounds like dirty connections, try a good contact cleaner, even wd40 may work, as it gets rid of moistrue, plus lubricates...Good luck...
By the way, very nice looking rig, I like those OutBack R.V.s

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
get them to warrenty prodigy [lifetime]i've had 3 replaced its in the controler,it fixed my problums every time

·
Registered
851 Posts
get them to warrenty prodigy [lifetime]i've had 3 replaced its in the controler,it fixed my problums every time

He already said they found bare wires on the control arms of the trailer(common problem) so there would be no reason to warranty the brake control.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts