Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I've been searching on this, and read a lot about the slip yoke. Not sure that's my issue, but I'll give that remedy a shot soon.

Here is my issue: When I put the truck into reverse and back up, it will roll about a foot or so, then its like theres a tooth missing in the the rear diff. It studders (or clunks), then goes on. I've only noticed this when backing up a slight grade, and after the truck has warmed up. Have not noticed anything from a stop in forward gears, like most with the slip yoke issue.

This is on a 2002 2500HD with Allison and 287,000+ on the clock. Alli was just rebuilt about 10,000 miles ago. Have noticed this issue for the past 4-5 years, but seems to be getting worse. Plus, we are towing a heavy toy hauler now, so I'm a little more concerned...

Appreciate any input.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I would look at the clearances in your differential. Sounds like a lot of wear there. Some adjustments are possible, but may entail more than just adjustment.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Chock the wheels, lift one of the rear wheels up, pop the diff cover off, stick it in neutral and see how the diff gears look while spinning the wheels in each direction.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For what it is worth, I am having a similar issue and I think I have narrowed it to improperly adjusted parking brakes. Only happens in reverse sometimes, about the same distance 1-2 feet but instead of a shudder, the rear locks up and stops the truck completely. If you pull forward and try again it usually goes smooth. I have not ripped into it yet, but my theory is that the parking brake shoes are backed off so much or worn so much, that they are able to slip inside the drum and wedge somewhere preventing the wheel from turning. 02 2500HD D/A

1 - 5 of 5 Posts