Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got one of those 28mt starters from db electric, right after i installed it i started it up and it seemed fine. I started it a few other times with no problems, then something strange happened. My van would not run veggie today, even though the system is well heated i guess temps close to 0 F revealed a weak link somewhere because it stalled shortly after switching over. i gave it about two short/medium cranks, then gave it some time and when i went to crank again, after cycling the glow plugs, the starter did not kick on at all. It did this a couple times. So i gave it a few minutes while tried to figure out what to do, then tried again and this time it cranked fine and almost started, then one more good crank and it started.

i called db electric to ask if this starter had some kind of overcrank protection that prevents it from starting if it gets too hot and he said he did not think so but if the problem continues he offered to replace it. Right now, however, it is way too cold to even think about getting under that van to replace that thing again, plus when i got home i tested it out a few more times and it cranked and started fine.

does anyone have an idea what this could be all about? Did it just decide to fail right at the moment when i needed it most or what? I even replaced some of the wires going to the cab when i replaced the starter since they looked bad, now they are all in good shape.

thanks,
paul

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Sounds like a defective starter unless you have a wiring issue... I think I would carefully inspect the wiring to the starter, but if you don't find a problem I think I'd return the starter.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm running one of their starters without any problems. I'd check the wiring and connections as recommended above, also check the mounting bolts since the starter grounds through the housing.

Smitty

1 - 3 of 3 Posts