Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what it is that you experience when the steering shaft goes bad on these trucks? Is it like slop in the steering? I have noticed that sometimes when backing out of the garage it sometimes feels a little bit like there may be something loose but, I a not sure. Could someone plase explain?

thanx,
JLew:)

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Mine felt squirrelly when I made a tight turn, especially in 4 wh. drive.It was the intermediate steering shaft. Dealer said it was from lack of "special lube" and a very common warranty issue.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Took mine in two weeks ago they said they needed to replace the shaft,if they ever get one -:t .Will this thing break or does it just cause steering slop.Almost hate to drive it....

·
Registered
7,929 Posts
mine felt like something was loose in the front end and coming thru the steering wheel,they replaced it and fixed the problem-

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
I was wondering what it is that you experience when the steering shaft goes bad on these trucks? Is it like slop in the steering? I have noticed that sometimes when backing out of the garage it sometimes feels a little bit like there may be something loose but, I a not sure. Could someone plase explain?

thanx,
JLew:)
Do a search, you will many posts on this , the I.S. is a common problem on these trucks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mine feels like a tap-tap, tap-tap-tap. I feel this in the sterring wheel when I am taking a corner at about 20-25mph. Is this a symptom of the steering shaft problem(s)?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yep..My sterring mid shaft was replaced in november..they seem to be a problem with these trucks..

sean

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
It isn't always the I.S. , they replaced mine twice, didn't solve my problem. The steering gearbox was replaced as was the lower steering shaft bearing before they actually fixed my steering problem

1 - 9 of 9 Posts