Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am pretty sure I have a 4L60E tranny on my 1995 2500 6.5 td......One day driving home i had only 2cd and 3rd gear.......took it to one tran shop they said that it needed rebuilding....$1500-1800....Took it for a second opinion and they said that they had bypassed my trans and it shifted fine that it could be my ign switch. So i replaced the switch in their parking lot and i was in reverse and I replaced the fuse to the tranny where it was bypassed. then BOOOOM no reverse. Had it rebuilt by AAMCO and its been fine but i now have a clunking sound again every once in a while when shifting from park to reverse. I have these codes if any one could help me out that would be great thanks. I went to the transmission forum and they said that these codes could be causing my transmission problems.

codes
17 high res cht fail
10 cam ref pulse error
19 crank ref error
35 inj pw short
49 sts lamp cht fault
86 low ratio error-injector
thanks again
-Tyler

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Welcome to the forum, TD44......

Most of those DTC's are probably caused by your fuel - try some pure #2 with additive for a while, see if they go away.

The low\undefined ratio error is caused by the two VSS,s on the transmission, or low fluid.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
???

What do you mean by VSS's

·
Registered
740 Posts
Vehicle Speed Sensor. I thought all the 6.5TD have the 4L80E or least all that I seen. You will need to double check to be sure. Either way the 4L80E have 2 VSS 1 on the driver side Trans case, and and 1 on the Tail shaft.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh ok I am going to have ot check that out tomorrow...anyone wouldnt know where I could pick these up or how much and also how easily they are to change. Thanks again guys

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
'94 1500's had 4L60E, 4L80E was optional - '95 discontinued 4L60E behind 6.5TD

Yes, some type of drivetrain slop, or bad muffler install, or even bad trans install by AAMCO - he'll need to get up under there and look

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
When was the last time the gear oil was changed in the diff?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not sure when the gear oil was changed...bought the truck with a 156,000 miles on it....it was in rough shape...the frame was good but I have had alot of small problems and had to dish cash out for parts and been trying to save money to fix it myself.....how long should it go until you change the gear oil......thanks again

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Goes mostly by looks I'm afraid not too many people look at it.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Clunk/bang going forward to reverse could be a bad U-Joint. apply the p-brake then place tranny in neutral, not park! and see if there is any movement slop in the U-joints there should be no lateral or up-down play.
any strain (ie being in park on a hill) on the driveline will hide u-joint play

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
The VSS(both) should be covered by the transmission rebuilder. AAMCO warranty is a "FULL WARRANTY" so the small parts are covered as they are part of the transmission.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts