Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The HP all in one B&W laser I bought maybe 4 years ago isn't happy and I'm not sure what to do about it. I don't need a printer very often but when I need one its really nice to have it.

This one which I think was middle of the road HP at the time maybe $300 nothing real special and maybe has done only a couple hundred prints and now refuses to believe that its got a new genuine cartridge in it so most of the time it won't print anything. Spent some time on google and tried a few things but so far no luck making it happy.

I don't care ink or laser and I don't really need color. I don't think an ink would be good because we can go months without using it and I remember ink machines not liking that much. At least with HP's you got a new head with the cart so you were back in biz you just had to pay. With other brands back in the day if the head dried up you were pretty much screwed and bought a new printer so you still paid.

Thoughts? I'm not afraid to spend money but don't want to spend a lot and end up in the same boat again in a couple years. Also hear bad things about many printers now where they have to be online to work and you have to get ink delivery service and other crap I don't want to deal with. I already got enough machines spying on me, don't need to add a printer to that list.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I don't think they build the lower-end ones to last for a long time.

I would suggest just buying one of the cheap $100 or so laser printers.

I've got a Brother HL2010, maybe 10-15 years old, and replaced the toner cartridge once, and the last year or so has had problems picking up paper from the tray (it still prints fine if I manual feed in paper or open/close the paper tray and hit the button on it for every page).

I also had a Samsung MFP (print/fax/scan/copy) laser, that's about 8 years old, cost about $350cdn, that also worked fine but had the same problem with picking up paper from the tray, and I replaced it with a Canon MF267 laser MFP this summer.

They don't see a lot of use, maybe 20-30 pages or so a month between both of them. I did try cleaning the pickup rollers on the printers, but that didn't work for me, and I looked online for replacement ones, but couldn't find any.

·
Administrator
16,289 Posts
I print/scan from time to time.
The Previous older HP I had the software locked up and it wouldn't connect to the PC.
The current HP printer I have connects to the internet and updates itself via the internet but does not bother me with ordering Ink when I get low.

I usually just go find what ever special Wally World has when I need a printer

·
Registered
663 Posts
I am a snowbird so spend about 6 months in the north and 6 months in the south.

I have a printer that I leave at both locations.

I have found the ink jets do not work as they dry up and are not usable after sitting idle for 6 months.

I have a cheap Samsung Laser at one location and a higher quality HP Laser at the other location. Both Laser printers have worked flawlessly for over 5 years at both locations.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm starting to think I maybe want something that can do 11x17. If I'm going to print I might as well print something I can see. Going big in a laser is really expensive so that puts me back at ink. I'm getting real mixed info on which ones are prone to drying up and what the options are if it does dry up.

In the old days with HP the print head was in the cartridge so if it did dry up you just replaced the cart and you were running again. Now it looks like even HP has gone to a think where the ink is in a tank. Is that better or worse for drying up?

·
Premium Member
17,905 Posts
Don't even think Epson...
If one color cartridge is empty, it wont print black & white.
If you pull a cartridge to check ink level, the cartridge will NEVER work again.
I enjoy smashing that POS with a sledge.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One empty killing the whole thing is just dumb. That has to be intentional.

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Without a doubt, laser jet with the powder containing drum(s). And never HP ever again. They took way too much of my money for so few results.

I got so tired of HP ink jets not working because the ink either dried up or ran out and costs a fortune. I purchased a Brother laser jet about 3 years ago ($125 for B&W, add another $25 to $50 if you want color, iirc) and have not had one single issue nor needed to replace the original drum. If that were one of the many ink jets of my past, it already would have stopped printing and / or communicating with my Apple products and be needing a new PRICEY ink cartridge(s). Yep, even the ultra office model I got one time for like $400. What a joke. Same issues as all the other inkjets.

If you don't print often >>>>> Go Brother laser and you'll never go back. No more outrages ink prices ($55 for the drum that I have yet to need) and no more drying up from low use. :thumb:

I also hear the Brother Laser Jets are good for heavy printing, but I couldn't tell ya. I print maybe 3 pages every few months.

Edit: Looked it up. Purchased March 2017 for $123 on Amazon
Brother DCPL2520DW

Reactions: otis

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We have had a couple brothers at work and for the money have seemed to hold up pretty well. I should probably just go do it. I just hate to throw away the one I have now but since the printer doesn't work and that is the most used part of it I guess I don't have a lot of options.... its just the way it is now, throw it away.

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
We have had a couple brothers at work and for the money have seemed to hold up pretty well. I should probably just go do it. I just hate to throw away the one I have now but since the printer doesn't work and that is the most used part of it I guess I don't have a lot of options.... its just the way it is now, throw it away.
About a decade ago..... Some budget shopper in the office of the company I worked for bought like 20 Lexmark inkjet printers for really cheap. But when they tried to use the printers they either would not communicate well or the included ink ran out right-away and required more money for replacement ink - costing more than the printers actually cost. So I talked the owner into eating the mistake and donating the rest of the unopened (nearly 20) new printers for the tax benefit.

Point of that story and many others I could tell is sometimes you just have to cut your losses and move on to bigger and better. Think of it like a mate you don't get along with. Sure, the prospects of being alone may be worse, but as long as you're committed to the one that doesn't work, you'll never find one that does. :)

·
Administrator Mister, your truck's smoking...
11,396 Posts
About a decade ago..... Some budget shopper in the office of the company I worked for bought like 20 Lexmark inkjet printers for really cheap. But when they tried to use the printers they either would not communicate well or the included ink ran out right-away and required more money for replacement ink - costing more than the printers actually cost. So I talked the owner into eating the mistake and donating the rest of the unopened (nearly 20) new printers for the tax benefit.

Point of that story and many others I could tell is sometimes you just have to cut your losses and move on to bigger and better. Think of it like a mate you don't get along with. Sure, the prospects of being alone may be worse, but as long as you're committed to the one that doesn't work, you'll never find one that does. :)
So... I should preface my comments by saying I spent 26 years working for IBM/Lexmark, and I spent close to 6 years working as the team lead/manager of a 35-ish member team of 3rd level technical support for all Lexmark consumer products. With that said... you made a good call donating the Lexmark inkjets. I still have one of the highest-end inkjet MFP's, and I struggle to get it to work reliably... and I was on the team that developed and brought it to market and supported it throughout its product life.

With that said, I also have a 10-year-old Lexmark laser MFP that's the best of the best - they stopped making them forever ago, but even when I thought it was next to dead, a new toner cartridge brought it back to life for $45 on fleabay. I have a Lexmark 646e, along with all the bells and whistles - duplexer, network card, 4 extra trays, and a custom Lexmark printer stand to boot. It's a toner/drum/fuser style laser printer, and it's flat-out reliable, prints around 20-50 ppm (to be honest, I don't remember, and how I use it, I really don't care). It weighs a freaking ton, scans, copies, faxes, you name it. The only thing is it's monochrome, though it does a fantastic job of gray-scaling. Since I worked on this baby during my latter years in business products, I have some skin in the game... but I'd buy another in a heartbeat. It's the Ford F150/Timex/Soyuz/workhorse of the printer world... it just flat out works.

This toner/drum/fuser technology is what you need - screw inkjets. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess the quandary of throwing away a good scanner and fax machine are solved. Went to scan something a minute ago and was kinda excited that the little window just said Hewlett Packard, not the usual replace toner its been saying practically since we bought it. Now that is all it does. Power cycle it blinks and stuff flashes looking promising and the HP comes up but apparently thats all it does. No buttons do anything and all the software says check network connection. Pile o crap.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Brother MFC-7840DW Had for several years Monotone, Duplex, Wired network, USB.
Brother MFC-9130CW About 2 years old. Color, Wireless network, USB. Main complaint is that it not duplex. Neither hold a full pack of paper.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm kinda leaning to the $150-$175 range all in one large format ink jet, possibly epson. I don't use it that much so ink cost should not really be a factor and if it dries up oh well disposable society....

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
I'm kinda leaning to the $150-$175 range all in one large format ink jet, possibly epson. I don't use it that much so ink cost should not really be a factor and if it dries up oh well disposable society....
Not to beat the horse, but know that I hardly print at all and that was why the toner powder drum and not the wet ink cartridges that dry up from non-use and quit working was the cat's meow for me.

Almost 3 years old.... My original-came-with-it toner level is showing over 3/4 full and it still works. Inkjet woulda done stopped working by now. I figured it would be cheaper to goto Kinkos and print than it would be to buy new ink cartridges every year or so from non-use drying up. Then I read about laser jet toner drum printers where the ink is never wet and thus can't dry up and all is good for the first time ever in my printing world :thumb:

:2cents:

·
Administrator Mister, your truck's smoking...
11,396 Posts
Not to beat the horse, but know that I hardly print at all and that was why the toner powder drum and not the wet ink cartridges that dry up from non-use and quit working was the cat's meow for me.

Almost 3 years old.... My original-came-with-it toner level is showing over 3/4 full and it still works. Inkjet woulda done stopped working by now. I figured it would be cheaper to goto Kinkos and print than it would be to buy new ink cartridges every year or so from non-use drying up. Then I read about laser jet toner drum printers where the ink is never wet and thus can't dry up and all is good for the first time ever in my printing world :thumb:

:2cents:
Here's a few cents more... long post because I'm excited.

I have a 2011 Lexmark Platinum Pro 905 All-In-One inkjet. None of the ink cartridges are original, but the last time I printed anything with this is maybe 3 years ago. I fired it up the other day - nearly nothing printed. I replaced cartridges with old replacement cartridges I bought - they were brand new, sealed, and I bought them at Habitat Restore - and about half the cartridges wouldn't print either (freshness date was in 2016). I finally pulled out some original new Lexmark cartridges (I think I bought them in 2014, but still sealed), installed them, and after cleaning the nozzles at least a dozen times, it finally was printing completely. Now the cartridges are about 30% drained, but it works.

Last week I bought a gently used mid-2000's Lexmark laser/toner all-in-one. It had a toner cartridge in it with only 5% used, but the toner cartridge was clearly leaking toner everywhere, resulting in nearly unreadable output. I paid $75 for the printer with the caveat that if it wasn't a toner cartridge problem, I'd be able to return it. I have the exact same printer at home. When I got the "new" printer home, I swapped cartridges and everything went to perfect print quality within 20 pages of print.

A quick look on eBay and I found a brand new genuine Lexmark toner cartridge for the new printer for $38+S&H... so "Buy It Now" and it's on the way. That cartridge is good for 10k - 15k pages. I then called Lexmark and asked if the bad toner cartridge is warranted, since it only has 5% of the toner used; turns out it was. Lexmark is now sending me a brand new replacement cartridge... good for another 10k - 15k pages. I finally asked if the printer was still in service; this printer went out of warranty mid-2007.

I now have a printer capable of printing between 30 - 40 pages per minute, can fax, scan, connect to a network or connect to any PC via USB, and I have enough toner to last me *YEARS*... for about $115. Oh, BTW, there are businesses who will pay you for old/bad cartridges; Lexmark doesn't want this one back, and it looks like they'll give me $25 - $40 for the old leaking toner cartridge.

TONER IS BETTER THAN INK... any day of the week and twice on the weekend. It lasts a long time and you don't have to worry about stuff drying out. You don't have to buy new; buy a good, reliable used laser printer. Unless you are creating school projects or photos, you don't really need color. 98% or more of home printing these days are totally suitable with mono printers.

If you don't know which toner-based printers to buy, look in doctor's offices, look in clerk's offices, look in libraries - they don't tolerate cheap crap. They need and buy printers that are reliable workhorses. I found the above printer on eBay; it was advertised as "local pickup only"... the thing weighs 85 lbs; nobody in their right mind would ship that. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Here's a few cents more... long post because I'm excited.

I have a 2011 Lexmark Platinum Pro 905 All-In-One inkjet. None of the ink cartridges are original, but the last time I printed anything with this is maybe 3 years ago. I fired it up the other day - nearly nothing printed. I replaced cartridges with old replacement cartridges I bought - they were brand new, sealed, and I bought them at Habitat Restore - and about half the cartridges wouldn't print either (freshness date was in 2016). I finally pulled out some original new Lexmark cartridges (I think I bought them in 2014, but still sealed), installed them, and after cleaning the nozzles at least a dozen times, it finally was printing completely. Now the cartridges are about 30% drained, but it works.

Last week I bought a gently used mid-2000's Lexmark laser/toner all-in-one. It had a toner cartridge in it with only 5% used, but the toner cartridge was clearly leaking toner everywhere, resulting in nearly unreadable output. I paid $75 for the printer with the caveat that if it wasn't a toner cartridge problem, I'd be able to return it. I have the exact same printer at home. When I got the "new" printer home, I swapped cartridges and everything went to perfect print quality within 20 pages of print.

A quick look on eBay and I found a brand new genuine Lexmark toner cartridge for the new printer for $38+S&H... so "Buy It Now" and it's on the way. That cartridge is good for 10k - 15k pages. I then called Lexmark and asked if the bad toner cartridge is warranted, since it only has 5% of the toner used; turns out it was. Lexmark is now sending me a brand new replacement cartridge... good for another 10k - 15k pages. I finally asked if the printer was still in service; this printer went out of warranty mid-2007.

I now have a printer capable of printing between 30 - 40 pages per minute, can fax, scan, connect to a network or connect to any PC via USB, and I have enough toner to last me *YEARS*... for about $115. Oh, BTW, there are businesses who will pay you for old/bad cartridges; Lexmark doesn't want this one back, and it looks like they'll give me $25 - $40 for the old leaking toner cartridge.

TONER IS BETTER THAN INK... any day of the week and twice on the weekend. It lasts a long time and you don't have to worry about stuff drying out. You don't have to buy new; buy a good, reliable used laser printer. Unless you are creating school projects or photos, you don't really need color. 98% or more of home printing these days are totally suitable with mono printers.

If you don't know which toner-based printers to buy, look in doctor's offices, look in clerk's offices, look in libraries - they don't tolerate cheap crap. They need and buy printers that are reliable workhorses. I found the above printer on eBay; it was advertised as "local pickup only"... the thing weighs 85 lbs; nobody in their right mind would ship that. Good luck!
Nice job :thumb:

And now I feel I have to post this in the interest of full disclosure....

The other day I went to print to my wifi connected Laser Brother DCP-L2520DW printer / scanner and guess what? It said not connected. In deep sleep, but not connected. Being pretty much computer stupid as I am and never having had that happen in the 3 years of ownership I thought oh, great and after I just talked it up on here. So I start searching Brother's website for troubleshooting and they said I needed to first make sure the software was up to date. I clicked download and saw it was gonna take forever. Not wanting to wait and remembering old school "jiggle the handle" logic I said lemme try something....

I turned off the printer and turned it back on again. All is good again. Connected and Printed my one page perfectly. And now, I can call myself a Laser printer repairman. :D

Reactions: Randy_the_Hack

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have owned mostly HP printers and they have been good except in the last 5-8 years they have gotten real finicky on the ink. I finally had it and did my research and purchased an EPson 7100. It sips ink and when you replace the ink you can use remanufactured cartridges with out an issue. Works good for me and a bonus it prints exceptional photos for me. 1 caveat I am not a printer connoisseur, just needed something to print black and white for my part time job the photo prining was a bonus.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ended up with a Epson workforce 7210? I think. Inkjet that does 11x17 and was like $130ish. I was going for a different model but it was out of stock and the sales guy said this one was just slightly slower and didn't have the sheet feed scanner.

Turns out it didn't have a scanner at all but I didn't notice till I got it out of the box. Also turns out that the HP decided to work again so I'm fine. Just before I ripped the HP out I hit the power to see what it did one last time and it just turned on and worked normally. Normal meaning its complaining about low toner with an almost new cart.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts