Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
George Morrison was kind enough to send me this. If you want to know about fuel treatment this has lots of good info (long):

PowerMaster 405 Diesel Fuel treatment

Power-Master Premium Diesel Fuel Additive

Description:

Power-Master™ is a concentrated cetane improver which will tremendously upgrade power and performance in all diesel equipment, increasing fuel and maintenance economy. Stability of fuels will be greatly increased and diesel engines will be kept in a much cleaner, more maintenance-free condition.

Fuel Situation:

In recent years, with the upswing of more worldwide crude oil funneling into our markets, fuel quality has decreased because the quantity of refractive, or "difficult-to-burn", molecules in our fuel has increased due to higher aromatic content in the crude. Current refining methods use a catalytic cracking process by which valuable fuels can still be produced from heavier, less desirable fractions of the crude - in other words, going "deeper into the barrel". This is accomplished by actually cracking a large molecule into smaller molecules at high temperatures. Similar to thermal cracking, which occurs in the deterioration of a lubricant, "cat cracking" thus produces a less desirable fuel with more refractive molecules which resist burning, as opposed to older fuels containing very few refractive molecules (fuel from crude sometimes referred to as "sweet crude"). This, coupled with the high demand for straight-run or "uncracked" jet fuel, leaves today’s diesel equipment operators faced with the problem of running their equipment with fuels of increasingly poorer ignition quality, or in other words, lower cetane.

Composition:

The <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">cetane improver[/B] in Power-Master consists of special nitrates which are pro-oxidants and which speed up the oxidative process of fuels during combustion, giving more power and improved mileage. Power-Master provides greatly increases ignition efficiency with all diesel fuels. In addition, Power-Master will prevent gum a

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Diesel Power wrote:

"George Morrison was kind enough"

I spoke with George today myself for the first time and kind is a very apt description and goes well with his incredible knowledge. That combination goes a long way toward making him an excellent source for both the knowledge and the product!

Thanks George, it was a pleasure discussing lubes with you. As my Grandpa use to say, "you are a gentleman and a scholar!"

·
Registered
394 Posts
I thank you for your kind words. Indeed it is a privilege to participate in a site with so much incredible work taking place in a totally positive manner. In one week's time some of the subjects covered here are light years ahead of industry knowledge. (OEM filter contamination comes to mind, fuel cleanliness issues, water, etc.) It has been one incredible week!
George Morrison, STLE CLS

·
Registered
78 Posts
Is it ok to use Primrose 405 instead of 409 where the temperature rarely gets in the teens (southern KY)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Juicemac78, I have been using 405 instead of 409. On my next fillup, I will probably add a little 409 since the temps have dropped quite a bit over the last few days. Where do you fuel up? I am in Russellville, but whenever I am in BG and need fuel, I go to the shell on 68/80(Russellville Rd) because there are always trucks fueling there so I figure they sell quite a bit. I have asked them and they claim that they add a winter additive from 10/01-04/01. I know that Southern States here in Russellville blends their fuel and that is why I haven't tried the 409 yet. I mainly bought the 409 for when I am out on the road somewhere and am unsure of the fuel.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Hi All

I thought GM didn't recommend a emulsifier additive for the Duramax.

Personally I use Stanadyne conditioner as they and Racor's additive are the only one's approved by GM. And they are both Demulsifier's.

Water is a Diesel's engine worst nightmare. That's why almost all engines have a fuel/water separator. Including the Duramax.

Why any one would want to HELP the water to ultimitely reach the injectors by dispersing it so much that it get's by the fuel/water separator is beyond me.

Check www.stanadyne.com web site under additive's they refer to GM Bulletin #03-06-04-017 dated March 13,03 which recommends Demulsification.

Stanadyne has diffrent additive's depending on needs, winter or summer weather.

Just my .02c

Bye Diesel Dragon

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Diesel Dragon-

Like many things its a personal choice. I don't necessarily trust everything GM says just because they say it

I believe the expert opinion of George Morrison, along with what i've seen inside my filters when i cut them open during servicing. when i ran stanadyne, i would have some sludge like goo at the bottom of the OEM filter. since switching to primrose i haven't had anything in the bottom - of either the OEM or my CAT pre-oem filter. just my .02. also the US military uses it to keep their diesel engines running. i must admit i put some faith in what our military uses as i'm sure they run some pretty crummy diesel at times.

Nick

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
DEJAVU!

·
Registered
747 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
flhrciblueice,

I have only filled up in BG once since I got my truck two weeks ago! I am still kind of looking around to find out the best place. I live on the north side of town. Anybody know about Marathon diesel? The one on Louisville Road here in BG has a LOT of trucks there every day. There is also a Keystop across the street with not as much business. Have you had any problems with yours yet??

Justin

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
I asked the fuel truck driver at the station just today who's fuel he deleivers?He said whatever comes up the pipeline! Diesel seems to come from a major distributor in Denver. Literally from out of state through a pipe. He said lots of people get there fuel from there. Makes you wonder? I think tank cleanliness and filtration at each individual station would be a very important factor.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Back to the original topic of 405 Primrose. I noticed on Primrose web site they have several formulas designed specifically to lubricate. I can not find these lubricants on the AVLUBRICANTS site? Are there already adequate lubricants in 405/409. Would some of these other primroes products help more?

·
Registered
78 Posts
So is the 405 safe to use with temps only in the teens? Or do you guys think I should switch to the 409 at that temp?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
I use 405 and I trust that its a good additive.

My doubts are that I cant understand how 1.6oz's of treatment to 25 gallons of fuel can make that much of a difference.

It would seem like you needed to add 6oz or 12 oz.

Someone should do a fuel analysis on fuel before and after adding a group of additives. See if we really get more of what they claim. How can 1.6oz boost cetane, lubricate, emulsify, etc, etc, etc all those things at the same time?

Just thinking out loud here...

·
Registered
394 Posts
When one gets temperatures in the teens, 409 would be best. 405 will help to a degree, especially if concentration is increased a bit. (doubling treat rate doesn't hurt, when in doubt!) 409 is specifically for cold weather operations;405 has the same cold weather action but to a much lesser degree. 405 is formulated for spring/summer/fall use or year round for climates where sub-freezing is rare. Additionally, it is dependent on the fuel you are purchasing. If it from a responsible supplier who is winter blending, then 405 alone may be all right; however, many fuel dispensers cut winter blend too close and wait until vehicles start shutting down on their lots before they bite the bullet of the increased cost of winter blend.

For 100% protection from this, 409. It contains all the same additives as in 405 (cetane boost, lubricity enhancement, rust protection, water elimination, detergency) just in lesser amounts.

Regarding so little Primrose per tankful. Primrose is industrial strength and not a watered down (actually diesel fuel diluted) additive as so many general public diesel fuel additives are. If you are unfortunate enough to spill even a small amount on your clothes as I did yesterday, you will note just how concentrated Primrose is. I still smell it today!

George Morrison

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
George, funny you mentioned the spill.. i have a sweatshirt that still sticks from the stuff..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts