Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for you guys:

A month or so back I saw a post over on the other forum where one of the guys had a lot of problems priming his fule filter after replacement. He sealed off his fuel filler neck and added compressed air (low volume & pressure) to force air into the system & in effect, prime his filter for him. Here is a copy from his post:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I changed my fuel filter again. Done it before twice no problems. This time I pumped the primer literally thousands of times. I had a blue bruise on my palm yet no fuel. The air bleed screw (new stainless) was open as well as the gas cap off. I took the filter off. All seals good. I pumped the primer with the filter off. No fuel.

Towing to a dealer was not going to be an option. I was in my driveway. Maybe I should of turned the truck around. The nose would have been more downhill.

Anyways I got to thinking. The fuel pump is upline from the filter and pulls a vacuum. The hand primer must pull a vacuum too. What if I could pressurize the gas tank a little and push the fuel to the filter?

I looked at the filler opening and tried to figure out how I could make a seal and put compressed air in. I ran into the house and started digging through the dog's toy basket. What are you doing my wife asked. Ah ha. a tennis ball. I ran back outside, cut it in half and turned one half in side out. I punched a small hole though it. I mounted the ball inflating needle on the end of the compressor hose and pushed it through the hole. I then pushed the rubber side of the ball into the filler neck. I pushed it tight with my finger tips and squeezed the lever gently. The tank filled with air and belched. I continued this for a minute or two. When I went around to the filter assembly, It was covered and dripping sweet, beautiful diesel. I closed the bleeder screw and it started right up. Ya hoo.

Has anyone hear of this? Can it do any damage? Sure seems like it would make things easier if you could force fuel into the filter and out the bleed off valve to prime it. I know you would HAVE to use LOW PRESSURE / VOLUME . . . But what do you think. Give me some feed back. Will it hurt the system?

Thanx,
PDSEdited by: Aggie91

·
Registered
490 Posts
Not a direct answer to your question, but I see no harm in it, as long as you use a few pounds of pressure, maybe less than 5 PSI. It does not take much pressure to damage a tank.

Back in the late 80's I bought a 6.2L GMC SB 2WD with a 4 speed manual. Hard to believe, but previous owner(s) had removed ALL of the fuel filtering.
I installed a fuel filter off of a John Deere industrial tractor, which was what my father was using on his 6.2. I primed the system with an electric fuel pump, an AC brand, I got at NAPA, I believe. That system worked very well for priming. In fact, my father mounted his right on the wheel well so it was allways there, if needed. I eventually bought all the parts and restored the fuel system to original.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
5 PSI would rupture the tank if you didn't have flow. It takes very few pumps to fill the OEM. Later! Frank

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Thats actually very similer to the method I have used when installing MEGA's as I dont want to spend all day pumping. I use my air gun and put it in filler neck, use a shop rag to seal the opening, just gently pack it in, not to much. This will act as a blow off valve if pressure gets to high. Open the bleeders and your off, this reduced the # of pumps by 3/4's when priming a mega.

Eric

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great! Thanks guys. I have worked on diesel farm eq in the past & have done this on tractors (used a rag or whatever is handy) :), just did'nt know if it would hurt the d-max system

PDS

·
Registered
490 Posts
I got my pre OEM frame mount Cat filter installed tonight. After I hooked the "in" side to the fuel tank, I hooked a Walbro electric fuel pump to "out" side, and after a few minutes I had diesel flowing into a jug. I took the line out of the jug and attached it to the fuel line going to the engine. The truck started right up, and didn't skip a beat. I let it idle for 5 minutes, then took her for a spin, no problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts