Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i always prime my cars motors after a oil change buy pulling fuses and cranking till the light goes out or the guage needle shows pressure

how would i do this on the duramax?

thanks

Edited by: The Flash

·
Registered
65 Posts
Pull the coil wire.
Edited by: jbh2000

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Not sure how you would do a crank/no start, but I always make sure I prefill the the new filter with new oil before starting. At approx. 75 psi it doesn't take long for the oil to reach the engine, and if it hasn't been sitting to long there may be oil still in the motor. I know it's not the answer you wanted, but it is a suggestion until you find out.

JP

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I think if you're worried about it, pre-filling the new oil filter should do it as JP said.

I think the only way you could do it would be to disable the Bosch fuel injection, and I think that would throw a code.

I like to pre-oil fresh overhauls, but routine oil changes shouldn't really be a concern, especially if you pre-fill that new filter...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Cranking the engine with the stater or with combustion, your still turning the engine until oil pressure comes up!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Did they move the oil filter on the later models or are you guys just faster than me? My 2001 has a horizontally mounted oil filter and I'm just not quick enough to get it on there without spilling it if I tried to prefill.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea its still dry but it spins at a slower RPM

to me it would seam to be better to spin it at say 200RPM with no load that 900RPM with a load. when it fires up also the tubo spins with no oil presure till it comes up.

no prof also just guessing

my oil still comes out of the filter

thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
Even though the filter is mounted horizontally, you can prime the filter and spin it on without losing more than a table spoon full of oil. It doesn't take any practice and works really well.

·
Registered
817 Posts
You can also add a dual remote bypass and mount it with the filters vertical. Now that works great. You can fill them up to the very top and spin them on.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
jbh2000 said:
Did they move the oil filter on the later models or are you guys just faster than me? My 2001 has a horizontally mounted oil filter and I'm just not quick enough to get it on there without spilling it if I tried to prefill.

One can prefill the new filter ~ then place in a freezer for a spell then simply screw it on w/o oil loss. The contained oil is less responsive at cold temp.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Folks there are some things that require a lot of tender loving care for our trucks to be properly maintained. IMHO prefilling the filter during a normal oil change isn't one of them. The internal engine parts will have a coat of oil on them that will protect them for the few seconds it takes to build oil pressure after a oil change.-----------------------------Later------------Phil

·
Registered
251 Posts
I doubt that even if we don't prefill our filters or prime the engine after an oil change that we would ever wear out our engines, providing we follow regular maintenance procedures. We may lose an injector or two, but as far as the engine internals they are pretty tough.

I think the body will fall apart before the drivetrain.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You can use a remote starter switch at the starter,crank engine with KEY OFF until you feel oil pressure is sufficiant to fill the filter and oil galley.I agree with CRUSHER though,that couple of seconds won't hurt anything,unless it was a fresh engine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thats a good idea

i would often hear of turbos going out cus they changed the oil and did not prime the motor but this was not on diesel engines

what i wonder is how fast a the turbo spins at start up and idle

i have had

91 AWD turbo eclipse

92 turbo honda hatchback

93 turbo honda hatchback

92 turbo honda coupe

88 turbo MX6

and now a 94 toyota supra single turbo

and i have always done this and have never had problems with turbos

i was just trying to make sure i would not hurt anything cus diesel is new to me

P.S. thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Might I offer one additional thought if you decide to use the remote starter idea. The cars you've had look to be all gas engines. You can spin those with the starter motor basically until the battery dies and won't hurt the starter.

Diesels are different....

Because of the compression ratios in diesels, they require more out of the starter motors. If you don't believe that, call your stealer or parts outlet and get a price on a Dmax starter. I think you'll be shocked. The point being that I wouldn't run that starter for more than ten seconds or so, and you'll have to allow it some cool down time in between or you'll fry it....

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
The compression on diesels varies a little from each manufacturer and model of engine with the non-turbo engines having slightly higher ratios, but basically it's twice that of a gas engine.

The Dmax ratio is 17.5 to 1 and starting is why it has two batteries in it, it takes a lot more power to spin it. The gas engines you've had can also vary a little, but were most likely in the 9 to 1 ratio area.Edited by: Zeeb

·
Registered
139 Posts
Oil filter priming is an unnessisary procedure due to the engine retaining enough oil in the passages and in the turbo assem. If you don't believe me drain the oil, remove the filter, remove the ignition 1 relay(so it won't start) and crank over the engine(not advisable) and watch how much more oil comes out.....this procedure is done before removing an engine for replacement....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts