Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have a primary air ride rear suspension. No springs just control arms and bags. Want some info and would like to know what people are running and how they work. currently looking at http://www.airliftcompany.com/PrimaryAir.htm 2k for the setup and it looks easy to install.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no front setup available or in the works, maybe down the road but if you wan tfull air you can goto airridetechnologies they do lowered suspension but go full air all around. i want to stay stock height. and this kit is reverseable. the only draw back is the exhaust has to exit in front of the tire. solution: Stacks! dunno yet..... well see..... ill be sure to do a Screw-it-yourself article about it if i do.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I looked at the Primary Air system and was not too impressed. My main concern is the use of what appear to be under rated air springs. The ones they use for a 2500HD system (p/n 58200 Rolling Lobe 1R8-031) are rated at 2865# @100 psi each. That only gives a 5730# max load for the rear axle suspension (stock rating is 6084#), that is 350# below stock. I would prefer to see air springs with a higher rating. As it looks now any air spring system that goes on my 2500HD will be a custom one off system.

I believe that the air springs for the 3500s are 1R9-038, rated at 4460# @ 100 psi max each. That gives a max load rating of 8920# for the rear suspension.

Joe.Edited by: Joe Pool

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joe Pool, good point ill have to check that if its gonna make me loose capacity i dont want it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got a Fleetco full air suspension and am quite happy with the arrangement (although Fleetco went out of business). I'll take a look at the truck tonight, but my "beam assembly" on the Fleetco installation is a straight beam which looks to be quite a bit stronger than the unit on the Primary Air Suspension. I'm currently running Firestone 8977 air springs. I don't recall the rating, but you need to keep in mind that the air springs in these systems are operating through a lever arm. They do not need to be rated at the axle rating, but at a lesser rating proportional to their distance from the pivot point. I'll check tonight on the rating of the 8977's: these are not the original air spings, but that's another story.

Ride height on my truck is almost level, perhaps 1-2" high at all times whether empty or towing my 13,000 lb horse trailer. The ride empty or with small trailer in tow is greatly improved and I like the constant ride height.

I am going to add a Schrader valve to the air tank just in case my compressor dies and I carry a spare air spring (I'm just risk adverse).

If you want the ultimate in reliability stick with good old leaf springs, but it sure is a shame that the OEMs can't offer an air suspension as an option in their one ton and larger trucks.

Rick T

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if its possible can you get me a few pics, dunno if you have a camera or not. if not still like to know more about your setep, weather you think the primary air setup might be inferior, and why. im a cheap ba***rd and want to be sure i get the best for my money..... er best excuse on why i needed it that is.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This from Brad Matznick of airlift:
<DIV>I just ran the numbers on the actual lift at the axle and came up with 4795 @ 100 psi per air spring. The air spring force number I used was for a design height of 11.5 inches; 2975 lbs. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>The axle is located 32.04 inches back from the front hanger, and the air spring is located 51.65 inches back. Axle support = (spring force x spring location) / axle location. (2975 x 51.65) / 32.04 = 4795.8 per air spring. I am sure that there are some vectored forces that change this number, but this should handle your load. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Thanks for sending the link to the forum. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Brad</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Any other reason why I should reconsider. Let me add he awnsers my questions very quickly and seems to really know this system inside and out.</DIV>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts