Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow!! I have not done any concrete work in a while and I just called to get a price on some for a building that I would like to turn into a shop and I almost fell over when I heard the price. $87.50/yd for 30-36 yards depending on thickness throughout ect. 3500psi concrete...
Is the price going to come back down anytime soon or is it going to keep going through the roof..
That price is out of Madison WI
Jon

· Registered
5,012 Posts
There has been a Cement shortage for a while now.

· Registered
719 Posts
thats right..cement is short right now cause they're shippin alot over to Japan and such because they are starting to build alot lately

· Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its just hard to believe that it seems to still going up.. I didn't think they had that much land in Japan to build on:eek:
I guess I'll have to save up some more to get my floor poured here when the weather lifts.. I was just wondering if anyone had any insight weather the price would come down or not..
Thanks,
Jon

· Registered
1,131 Posts
Not wanting to hijack the thread here but my work has an electrical problem and when they come they told us they could get us a new transformer and see if the problem goes away. Problem is the transformer will take from 60 to 80 weeks of being on order because they are shipping them over to China to get factories up and going there. So we will live with the problem for now I guess.

Phillip

· Registered
2,950 Posts
Building costs are sky rocketing across the board. Copper is going way up too! I have a 100ft driveway with a 25X40 pad I want to put in. It's gonna cost me a fortune:eek:

· Registered
30 Posts
Heck that $87 per yard is cheap!! In and around the city here you are nearing (if not exceeding) $100 for a yard of 4000. Most average between $90 and $100 in the immediate suburbs. The fuel surcharges do not help one bit either!! :mad: The cost will only continue to go up including the steel re-enforcement rebar and mesh.

· Registered
236 Posts
Last I paid was $125/yard & the wait was 1 1/2 months! What are you complaining about!!! Gas $2.99 for Premium, about $3.20 for Diesel!

· Registered
5,012 Posts
radar1053;1565682; said:
Not wanting to hijack the thread here but my work has an electrical problem and when they come they told us they could get us a new transformer and see if the problem goes away. Problem is the transformer will take from 60 to 80 weeks of being on order because they are shipping them over to China to get factories up and going there. So we will live with the problem for now I guess.

Phillip
Supposedly,China is the one buying most of the Cement,thus our shortage!

· Registered
495 Posts
I'm not so sure I buy into the cement shortage thing. That's what all of our suppliers are trying to sell but I think a big part is them trying to boost gross profit.

To answer your question, the only direction concrete prices are going is up in the foreseeable future.

Good luck

· Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey that's kind of what I was thinking just wondering what prices where doing in the rest of the country.. Guess it's time to start saving and get it done before it goes up anymore..
Thanks for the info...
Jon

· Registered
244 Posts
The last two pours that I did late in the fall were running about $105.00 a yard with a couple of bucks extra for heated water.. I'd say that it's always between 85 - 100 a yard on any given day and for the different mixes. Seems really steep because there is a cement plant less than fifty miles away but most of theirs goes out on boats to cities and the stuff that we use comes from Wisconsin...??

· Registered
5,012 Posts
kkirt1;1566361; said:
I'm not so sure I buy into the cement shortage thing. That's what all of our suppliers are trying to sell but I think a big part is them trying to boost gross profit.

To answer your question, the only direction concrete prices are going is up in the foreseeable future.

Good luck
Well,I used to drive for a big Sand and Gravel outfit about six yrs. ago.The boss was part owner of a Cement plant in Mexico(where a bunch of our Cement comes from)and I can remember us running out of Cement for a couple of weeks one time.Supply and demand sure sucks.He said the Chinese were buying it all up!:eek:At that time Concrete was going for around $68.00/yard here for 3500psi mix.Now it's close to $90.00/yard....:eek:

· Registered
567 Posts
Cement is the unstable variable in the price of concrete since it is typically not produced by the ready-mix supplier. The purchase orders we have with suppliers include escalators for the cement since most of our projects last for a couple of years (bridge construction). These guys have more control over the cost of the corse aggregate and sand since most own the quarry it was mined from. Other variables include hot water in the winter (~$5 per yard) and admixtures that you pay for by the ounce depending on how you want the concrete to react after its placed. How far you are from the plant comes into play as well. You could also substitute a percentage of fly ash/slag for the cement to save some money. You will get the same strength, but it takes a litte longer to get it.

We had a project here in Ohio that was located just a few miles from the plant and we were paying $58.50 for an 8000psi mix (25% cement 75% slag). By the end of the project (~18 months) we were paying $70.00 for a modified 50/50 mix. In West Virgnia we were paying $96.75 for a 4000psi mix because the plant was so far away.

-Wardster

· Registered
31 Posts
I buy my cement bulk and store in a silo. There has been a SMALL shortage during the 2004-2005 years. they did not lessen the amount that could be bought, they rationed you off by not letting you buy more that you usually buy. the price for bulk cement has been only increasing by about 4-5% annually, no more than most other comodity items. It's all propaganda. After 20 years in the industry and 3 generations experience behind me, I know this is BS.

· Registered
1,792 Posts
Shortage is propaganda, and you don't have it that bad...... In Egypt the have no restriction on the production of cement powder and there is no lack of product but the concrete producer have to pay cash for all there product, and when a $1000.00 USD equals a wheelbarrow of a Egyptian paper money, it take suitcases full of cash to buy a load of powder,:eek: Also if you don't like your competition in Egypt the just kill them off and their families and relatives. China is also one of the largest consumer of cement powder and what do you thinking they are doing with it? Building cement plant to sell in back the US, cheaper.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.