Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needed to diesel up this aftenoon so I drove out to a Shell Station on a nearby ( 7 miles ) Interstate 35 and filled up with premium. This is the ony station I know of in San Antonio that has pemium but there probly are more. Anyway the price ( $1.29.9) was right and made the 14 mile round trip worth it. I say that because the performance is much better and I think the mileage will incrase. Also put a few squirts of Total Power in. Only have 5.2K on my truck so its still breaking in but is smoothoing out real good now.

On the way home I was buzzin up Interstate 35 and a 18 wheeler shot by me, I was doing 75. When he go right beside me he blew a tire on a rear axle, scared me so bad I didn't stop shaking for ten-fifteen minutes. He didn't even slow down, in fact I think he poured a little more coal to it. Edited by: Bill Gisse

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I've had 18 wheelers (trailers) lock up in front of me before, that too is some scary stuff ..... Have to watch out for them alligator's also scattered around the highway ....

Premium diesel is derived from additives .... That's a good price , . 20 cents higher here for now ...

Mac

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've used Premium diesel from day 1. I figure they can probably do a reasonable job with the additives I'd be putting in anyway and this keeps it simple. Not necessarily cheaper, or better, but definately simpler and the station I use primarily also happens to be fairly cheap and it's full service to boot, PLUS they usually very patiently fill it to the rim. Have I rationalized this enough?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I've had mixed results with premium. The few times I've tried it I've gotten equal or worse mileage and no performance difference. I filled up at the Quik Trip in Tomah, WI. Three pumps with cetane ratings. I filled up with the 40 pump. Mileage definatley worse. At a different Quik Trip in Minnesota they don't have premium but 9 times out of 10 I get 1+ mpg better. Go figure.

On the news last night a semi hit the brakes during our latest snow. The trailer slid to the right and the trailer tires rolled up over the trunk of a StateTrooper's car on the shoulder and blew it into the ditch. Luckily the Trooper was out of the car and the person in the car wasn't hurt. Must have been on the right side cause he would have been toast otherwise.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I personally wish they would find a better winter diesel package. My last 3 fills I've been down 1.5mpg per gallon on the blend. I'm sure the colder weather, longer warm up to operating temperature affect as well, but I like my truck better getting 19.5 vs 18.

·
Registered
612 Posts
While there most certainly could be one, I haven't found a station with premium diesel in this part of NC, nor have I found a station whose product gives me any better performance than all the rest. I don't even know if they have a different summer/winter blend around here. Last winter I didn't notice any change in fuel mileage. For the last few tanks, when towing, I have added FPPF 8+ Cetane booster but haven't been able to tell any improvement in mileage or performance. Am now using Total Power in every tank but can't tell any difference from when I was using Howe's ...
... this is an area where I am having a hard time telling where the hype ends and the value begins....

Jim

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hey Mac, I was out with my bro in his 18 wheeler when his brakes caught fire.. unit was 63 feet long, down hill with two silage trailers, a set of sprayer wheels/tires and a huge MB trac (Mercedes Benz Tractor) with floatation tires on the back.. - Now that was scarey.. Even more so when you look in the mirror and you can't see the road behind you because of the smoke from the brakes.., bit like when you mash it

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
blowingsmoke, that reminded my this summer I was going down a backroad west of ThunderBay and started to smell tire smoke. I first thought is was somebody doing a supreme burnout. It didn't disappate and finally caught up to a semi with a tri axle flatbed dragging his mid trailer axle tires. The smoke was so thick I had to back off his tail. I followed him for at least 5 miles. He finally turned onto a different road but never even slowed down. Chunks of molten tire were flying off by then and the tires were almost on fire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts