Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just install the version 2.0, unpluged the egr, and now the allison slips between shifts, I know it will relearn, but do I drive it like grandmom and back out of the throttle, or drive it like I stole it?

:grd:

·
Registered
537 Posts
It's probably not slipping but rather you are feeling the defuel at shifts. Drive it like you stole it to help it learn faster....

...or put it in fast learn by taking it up to 50mph and then dropping into 1st gear -- letting the Allison downshift through the gears from there. Then repeat a few times.

·
Registered
537 Posts
To the contrary...

Straight for the Diablosport website:

"Your vehicle is equipped with an Allison Transmission. This Transmission has a learning process to compensate for the type of driving the user does. This process is learned by bringing the vehicle up to 55 mph and then put it manually into first gear. The transmission will then automatically down shift itself through all the gears to down to first, and when you stop put it in park and shut the car off. Repeat this process three times. This lets the transmission learn how to deal with the extra power given to it by the predator."

"The Predator for Duramax truck has no transmission function in it at all. No manufacturers can communicate directly with the Allison transmission. It is a self-learning system, the trick is to drive it, and it will adjust to the power level your using in time. The more you change around the power level the longer you drag it out, the higher power levels will adapt for the lower ones, and the harder you drive it the faster it will adapt.
Now there is also kind of a trick you can play on the system that helps speed up the process. Take the truck out on an open piece of road, allow it to shift all the way up to high gear at cruise, then release the throttle and shift the truck down into low gear, not to worry it will not jerk down into low gear, foot off the throttle allow the vehicle to shift down through the gear progression until your riding along in low, apply brake, put the truck in Park, and do it again.
After two or three times, generally, you will see improvements right away, Allison has learned.
Or just keep driving and it will improve on its own, just know your going to have to wait it out.
Again this is the case for every manufacturer adding horsepower to the GM Duramax trucks."

I can attest to this working just as DiabloSport states.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Straight for the Diablosport website:

"Your vehicle is equipped with an Allison Transmission. This Transmission has a learning process to compensate for the type of driving the user does. This process is learned by bringing the vehicle up to 55 mph and then put it manually into first gear. The transmission will then automatically down shift itself through all the gears to down to first, and when you stop put it in park and shut the car off. Repeat this process three times. This lets the transmission learn how to deal with the extra power given to it by the predator."

"The Predator for Duramax truck has no transmission function in it at all. No manufacturers can communicate directly with the Allison transmission. It is a self-learning system, the trick is to drive it, and it will adjust to the power level your using in time. The more you change around the power level the longer you drag it out, the higher power levels will adapt for the lower ones, and the harder you drive it the faster it will adapt.
Now there is also kind of a trick you can play on the system that helps speed up the process. Take the truck out on an open piece of road, allow it to shift all the way up to high gear at cruise, then release the throttle and shift the truck down into low gear, not to worry it will not jerk down into low gear, foot off the throttle allow the vehicle to shift down through the gear progression until your riding along in low, apply brake, put the truck in Park, and do it again.
After two or three times, generally, you will see improvements right away, Allison has learned.
Or just keep driving and it will improve on its own, just know your going to have to wait it out.
Again this is the case for every manufacturer adding horsepower to the GM Duramax trucks."

I can attest to this working just as DiabloSport states.
I've used that method also and the Alli learns real fast. Maybe Mike L could tell us more..... good idea or not?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I am pretty sure this has been discussed in the transmission forum(s). Might try a quick search. IIRC, it is NOT a good idea. :badidea:

Just give the tranny some time to learn with lots of upshifts and downshifts.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'd like to understand how it's a bad idea. Dropping it into first from 55mph makes it act just like it's downshifting going down a steep grade with a load...absolutely no difference. Perhaps the naysayers have not actually experienced it.

With a mild tow tune, pulling 10k, and braking on the downside of a hill your drivetrain would see more torque than what is described above.

·
Registered
587 Posts
The predator will continue to de-fuel on shifts though, right? It doesn't stop de-fueling once it learns, does it?????

·
Registered
537 Posts
I don't want to get in a p!ssing match here nor do I want to give bad info.

I've been searching for some better advice in the tranny forum... For starters it seems the early model Allisons & TCMs were not the fast learners that the 03 and later unit. Newer model ones do not need the TAPS set. However all might need the TAPS set in the case of a significant failure....

There seems to be an agreement on that it will take several upshifts and downshifts for the addaptive learning to take place, which, IMO, would lend to cycling the transmission the way DiabloSport suggests being at least a little helpful.

There are various opinions, even conflicting ones, from the same individuals as to whether to or when to "drive it like you stole it" regarding helping the learning process along. I understand that even experts are learners, though some too proud to admit that they were mistaken.

That being said, there is probably no harm in waiting it out.

I am presupposing that 8mycash has not damaged his transmission. If he is experiencing any slippage during shifting it might be better defined as flaring, which is fairly normal during learning.

The defuel will not go away.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
You can do that shift thing if you want to but I'll never do it to my truck.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I would imagine the tranny learning process that Diablosport has posted is less damaging than running a higher HP tune, and driving it "like you stole it" before the tranny has learned the new power.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Another thing that I don't understand about what DiabloSport recommends is the part where you take your foot off of the throttle -- doesn't most of the fueling and thus most of the power go away?? Now that I think about it...you are essentially coasting just before you shift the lever down...inertia is carrying you along, not 400hp for instance.

I'm not convinced it's harmful in the least, but perhaps it's the placebo effect -- some of us think it shifts better after dropping it into first from 55mph.... I know I was nervous the first time I attempted but it was really no big deal -- just like grade braking. And THAT might be all that it's doing...

...could have been just the feeling of relief that I didn't send a rod through the block or something...

I give up. I need some coffee...

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
The best way IMO if you don't have access to resetting taps is to drive easy at first and let the trans start to get used to the shifts. Then start working your way up the agressiveness meter allowing the shifts to smooth out before moving farther up the meter. Then do it again in T/H.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts