Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope the new LLY is a step up. It looks like GM did some major changes for ease of service and low end torque gains with the new VGT turbo. Good stuff.

BUT.....

Depending on how similar the LLY turbo is to the Ford 6.0 Garrett, we may start seeing turbo failures if/when the crankcase gets diluted buy a bad injector.

As it stands, the IHI water cooled turbo in the LB7 engines seem to be able to handle the diluted fuel just fine.

The Fords lose turbos it seems every time they dilute the crankcase.

In other words, it may be easier to change injectors now but we may see more turbo replacements at the same time.

BTW: I'm still researching whether the new VGT has water cooled bearings like the old IHI does.Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Can the new VNT be added to a LB7?

IIRC, VNT's dont have wastegates, maybe thats the problem there...

·
Registered
2020 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Z71
644 Posts
Hoot,

Do you think the new design of the LLY will drastically reduce the oil dillution problem? It seems the return lines won't be a source any longer. I hope the new turbos don't wind up being a handicap for the new DMAX, I was starting to think about a trade soon.

Kevin

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No the new turbo cannot be used on the LB7. Too many changes including ECM (computer).

Yes, it's great the return lines are external now. One less headache but in my opinion should not have been a problem anyway. How hard is it to design a pipe that doesn't leak? Actually internal fuel leaks aren't return lines but bad injectors as far as I know.

I do think it will reduce dilution problems though,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts