Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my question is I wanted to get a the predator tuner but I still have a basically stock truck for now. Can I use like a 45 or 65hp tune from predator with stock exhaust without burning down my motor? right now I wanted slightly better fuel milage until I can get a exhaust. Does anyone have input with something like this. Also can I disable the egr with the predator tuner? I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but im new to the forums yet and still havent figured out how to browse the forums.

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Mine is tuned for 85 and I still have my stock exhaust. The predator can do lots of cool things. I wouldnt worry too much about it. Exhaust will certainly help it by lowering exhaust temps but is not 100% necessary.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it have like a update for disabling the egr or anything like that?

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Not completely sure really. The programmers for the 01-05's had them I believe. You'll need a finger stick though if you do decide to block the egr.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I don't think there is an update for the egr yet, I hope its in the works I plan to send mine in for the 160 custome tune it would be nice to get the egr update at the same time.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I spoke to them last week, and they are working on the EGR delete feature, but do not have it yet. They will make it available through their software download feature when they get it. The tech person who I spoke with stated their tuner is designed to operate with a Stock transmission on all levels.

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
I dont have any guages yet. I'm only at 2500 miles. Plus I havent had the chance to get on it thanks to the snow covered roads.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the input guys. I ordered mine up and cant wait to get it. Cant wait for the extra power and hopefully I can pick up a few extra mpg when im not on it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am running the predator on 65 horse setting with a stock exhaust and I havent had any problems yet. Highest EGT I have seen is 1100 while towing. I know, I know you arent supposed to tow on the 65 horse setting but I forgot to change it to the 45 horse tune when I went to pick up my camper. It weighs around 5200 and I saw the 1100 degrees while going up hill and it was only briefly. Overall I love the tuner.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I also have the predator in my truck.
Totally stock exhaust and tranny. I usually run the 65 horse setting for day to day driving and use the 45 for any towing I do. I put the 120 in once, but didn't drive with it long.
The highest EGT I have seen with the 65 is about 1150 or 1200, but that was only for just a second or two. I only see about 22 or 23 psi on the boost gage and I think this is why I get EGT's a little higher. I am waiting for Brayden's box to try and put a little more boost in the truck.
I think driving without gages isn't horrible, but for peace of mind, I installed them. If you are towing anything, I would say it is a must.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts