Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a predator 120hp and love it, although i am wondering if the juice will allow me to go faster in the 1/4. Any body have any experience? I know Makin has had many, what is your experience. Also could i staxk them? thanks

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I prefer the Edge over the Predator .... I've never tried the 120 tune I must admit ....
I have stacked the Hot Juice and Predator 40 HP tune .... Lots of smoke nice combo but will send your tranny limping and zinging into neutral .....

In addition ,
I have the Quad 215 "Wicked" surely I jest, but kiss you Allison good bye for a trip to a builder of your liking,right soon .... I've only stacked with the Comp Juice .... That I assure you will get your attention, fast fast fast,did I say it was fast ?? .... Forget it without a transmission upgrade ....

Once I get my tranny back in (taken out for a sticking TC converter valve) from the upgraded triple billet C1 upgrade level V, previous I had level IV ... I'll be able to evaluate the lower levels on the Quad 215 ....
Target install is Monday upcoming, been out of my truck for nearly a month and I'm anxious,long story .... I didn't have much time to play with the Quad prior to the valve hanging up considerably worse in the colder climate as of late ....On a Dyno the Quad yielded 450 /795 STD correction factor .... On the stack mentioned it yielded 481/860 same dyno ...

Before that failure ,Sun Coast has done a good job addressing Over Drive holding capacity .... It Was holding extremely well, never a hiccup .....

More to come eventually .... Perhaps a big 230 VA box which yielded a 450 /795 on it's own on a tighter dyno correction factor,SAE .... I've yet to street this box for comparision ....

Mac

·
Registered
611 Posts
Mac,

Is the Quad 215 tune drivable on a daily basis? in other words can I drive in the 215 level when I'm stuck in traffic, towing a 4000lb trailer, or on a long trip?

Also has the rev limiter changed or deleted?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I drive daily with 215/145(juice) stack and have towed my 8k fifth wheel you just have to watch the guages and have a built tranny......shall we say also fast and faster with a shot of propane
15-17 mpg city/hwy mix

4500 rpm maxEdited by: sdaver

·
Registered
464 Posts
Can a 40 or 60 hp predator be stacked with a 90 hp juice v3.5 without limping the trans? I got some new tires and need to recal the trans anyway and I figured the easiest way to do it was with a predator, plus it acts as a scan tool also. I don't want to slip the trans at all, limp mode scares me a little. I thought about a quad programmer also, I think it can also recall the trans right?? But I don't think it can act as a scan tool. What do you guys think is the best route??

I will be upgrading the trans in the spring at which time I would like to go with the 215 quad which is another reason for buying it now and using a lower setting until the trans is prepared.

Thanks Guys, see ya at the track!

Jason

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Forced Induction said:
Can a 40 or 60 hp predator be stacked with a 90 hp juice v3.5 without limping the trans? I got some new tires and need to recal the trans anyway and I figured the easiest way to do it was with a predator, plus it acts as a scan tool also. I don't want to slip the trans at all, limp mode scares me a little. I thought about a quad programmer also, I think it can also recall the trans right?? But I don't think it can act as a scan tool. What do you guys think is the best route??

I will be upgrading the trans in the spring at which time I would like to go with the 215 quad which is another reason for buying it now and using a lower setting until the trans is prepared.

Thanks Guys, see ya at the track!

Jason

NOPE, I know it will limp for sure.

The Predator disables the Limp protection or screws with it.

The 40 HP stacked with the 90 JUICE probably will, the 60 for sure.

T
NY

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
DIESEL 5 said:
Mac,

Is the Quad 215 tune drivable on a daily basis? in other words can I drive in the 215 level when I'm stuck in traffic, towing a 4000lb trailer, or on a long trip?

Also has the rev limiter changed or deleted?

Thanks

The 135 is much better street tune...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Mac,

Are You Getting The Tranny Work Done Local?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
RUMAXED said:
Mac,

Are You Getting The Tranny Work Done Local?
Ya , Geerhead and Mac LLC .... Our slogan ,"Have Wrench Will Swing" ....

Mac

Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well after reading posts for the last 2 friggin' hours I've come to the conclusion that I haven't come to any conclusion!! I have an 03 D/A combo and I pull a 28' fifth wheel and would like some help choosing the "right" tuner for me. I would like my truck to basicly just breath easier when I'm towing. From what I can tell the Predator has high EGT's, at least the past software versions did, I like the way the "juice" with the "attitude" interface looks, it looks like a quality product but for the price it should be!! Correct me if I'm wrong because I've only seen "bad" photo's, but the "Quadzilla" looks like a cheap video game. Don't come back on me for that comment because like I said, bad pictures! The "Hypertech" has a good price but reviews run hot and cold, some people like it and the ones that don't want thier money back to invest in one of the three tuners listed above!! Like I said mostly for towing but I wouldn't mind having some fun from time to time and if I could leave one of them in a mode over 100 HP and not have to worry about breaking something that would be the ideal unit...I'm SO confused!!!!

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Eddie I've had the same ?? and have come to the conclusion to get the juice w/ attitude but I've got an LLY 04 on order so I'm going to wait to buy one for it.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts

Each tuner has it's pros and cons Quad Programmer, Edge juice with Attitude......

Pros

The Quad tuner is a good value @ $390 ... The towing tune seems to work exceptionally well has code reading ability tire adjusting capabilities speed limit defeat ... Sellable easy switched from truck to truck, only one can hold a tune at a time .... No under hood connections .... The higher tunes well, lets just say, hang on ...

Has been reported EGT's stay in cool area ... Price price ....

Con's

Only one tune available at a time .... Have to buy separate gauges and install, recommended when running any performance device ... Adjusting tunes can only be done parked and the necessity to reload tuner ...

Edge Juice

Pros

Is a nice piece of hardware .... Availability of 5 tunes available on the fly .... G-tech capabilities along with tire adjustment .... Sell able ...

Has EGT and boost reading built in no need for additional in the cab hardware .... Has built in defeat options to turn fuel off if preset values are breached ...

Cons

Pricey at $800+ depending on where you shop ... Not so easily concealed with the Attitude being in the cab .... Under hood connections ....

========================================

Either one is very capable of getting the job done .... It really depends on your wallet and mechanical ability ....

With the Quad tuner you can buy the tuner gauges and still have change left if your capable of installing ....

With the Edge it's all one clean tight package one EGT probe connections in the manifold couple other underhood connections and your done.... If it could only be "completely" removed from cab ....

Mac

·
Registered
61 Posts
Eddie I tow a Jayco 243 5'er and was advised several times by folks I consider credible (some even post here) that the Juice was the best for my narrow application. I bought and installed a fairly inexpensive refurb Juice and found it was superb for towing in level 1 and level 2 and I never had the need or desire to ride the higher levels, since IMHO the bulk of the improvement lies below level 3 in torque increases, and I'm a conservative when it comes to risk/reward situations.

I "upgraded" to the Juice/Attitude more for the built in EGT/boost gauges than anything else. I find the latest Attitude/Juice to be significantly more "refined" in seat-of-the-pants towing and empty operations and since the upgrade attitude addition cost about the same as adding EGT/boost separate gauges, I'm absolutely satisfied.

Shopping around, you may find that buying a refurb Juice/Attitude combo is more cost effective than buying new. I can certainly state that I've had zero hardware/software problems with my refurb package(s). I did, however, have some shipment issues with Edge, but they were quickly resolved. I attribute those problems to the old "Feces Occurs" syndrome that happens in every business. Needless to say I now proudly wear a black "Edge Products" hat which I consider to be far and away better than a ball point pen.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Can anyone tell me appox- how long it takes for the tranny to adjust to power output of a programmer??? I HAVE A PREDATOR 1.10B AND INSTALLED THE 85HP TUNE YESTERDAY ALLISON WAS NOT HAPPY WHEN I WOULD GET INTO IT I TRIED TOW/HAUL TOO.COUPLE TIMES I THINK I SLIPPED THE TRANNY,NOT SURE IT WAS SHIFTING UNDER FULL PEDAL AND SOME WERE IN THE MIDDLE GEARS IT SEEMED LIKE A ZING?? RPM WENT UP FOR A SECOND ASS IT WAS IN A WIERD SHIFT, BUT NOTHING HAPPEN can anyone tell me appox- how long it takes for the tranny to adjust to power out put of a programmer??? I HAVE A PREDATOR 1.10B AND INSTALLED THE 85HP TUNE YESTERDAY IT RWAS NOT HAPPY WHEN I WOULD GET INTO IT I TRIED TOW/HAUL TOO.COUPLE TIMES I THINK I SLIPPED THE TRANNY,NOT SURE IT WAS SHIFTING UNDER FULL PEDAL AND SOME WERE IN THE MIDDLE GEARS IT SEEMED LIKE A ZING?? RPM WENT UP FOR A SECOND, BUT NOTHING HAPPEN AFTER THAT , I JUST LET OFF AND KEPT GOING. I REPROGRAMMED THE 40HP TUNE IT WAS WAY SMOOTHER TRANNY WAS HAPPY AGAIN. THE 85 HP WAS SO FUN THOUGH. I WILL TRY 65HP SOON. I DROVE AROUND ABOUT 2HRS NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH CODE ETC. JUST THE TRANNY FREAKING OUT SHIFTS WERE OFF AND WIERD. SO WOULD THE TRANNY ADJUST TO

·
Registered
86 Posts
Things are getting clearer, it never dawned on me that the "Attitude" eliminated the need for gauges
the price seems more reasonable now. So what does "stacked mean?? 2 tuners "stacked"?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Eddie Haskell said:
Things are getting clearer, it never dawned on me that the "Attitude" eliminated the need for gauges
the price seems more reasonable now. So what does "stacked mean?? 2 tuners "stacked"?

Yes, ....

I wouldn't recommend loading two at the ALDL port tho ...

Normally people run two at the bale connectors under the hood or one loader and one at the for mentioned under the hood ...

One thing is for sure a single "box" is plentiful for the Allison to handle prior to internal damage ...

Play at own risk ...

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm not going to do this I was just wondering if that is what it meant. I realize some tuners have features others don't, is that the thinking behind "stacking", to get ALL the features out there or are these guys just trying to break stuff
!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts