Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, the first time I thought it was a fluke, now it's becoming a trend.

I've got the 40hp tune loaded. Speedo corrected, gobs of power and life is good. Then one morning out of the clear blue sky, I head to work with a sluggish truck. WTF?

Speedo is still corrected. Hmm. Re-load the tune and the power is back.

Both times this happened (about 2 weeks apart), it was the first drive in the morning, after using the block heater that night. A possible connection? Doesn't happen every time, though ... I've been using the block heater every night.

Damn, and after I was singing the praises of the Predator, too.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Mr. Quadzilla, what are the chances a brand spanky new Stealth would work for me this time? The last one was a frustrating experience, constant lock-ps during the dialogue and poor performance when I finally did get it to load. Did you say you found some assembly problem that may have caused this?If I think it'll work, I'll try one again.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Which version of the Predator do you have ?? Have you contacted the distributer yet ?? If you find out the fix please share in case others have identical problem ....

Mac

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
I really don't see how the PCM programming could change by itself, let alone back to stock. I'd suggest if this happens again that you use the Tool Options, and read which tune is currently loaded.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
V1.07 ... had 1.04 and got it updated in September. I've contacted Diablo and am waiting to hear back.

JK, I concur, a flash rom doesn't just revert to it's previous programming by itself (I'm an ee specializing in embedded systems). I don't think that's the failure mode. Besides, the speedo correction continues to work. Clearly the PCM is still programmed.

All I know is that it's changing it's behavior in such a way that I lose substantial power. Stock level? I don't know, no dyno in my driveway. Certainly enough to be very noticeable though.

The Predator tunes have a very significant surge in power as the tach climbs through about 1800-2000 rpm; others here have noted this as well. I've grown accustomed to it and have subconsciously modified my right foot/right hand (6-speed) coordination to compensate and still achieve some level of smooth acceleration. Now when that surge is gone, I'm all messed up! You can't help but notice.

FWIW, the first time it did this, the diesel knock seemed to be eerily quiet. I plugged in the Pred and restored my stock tune. The truck seemed to run better and a normal level of knocking was restored. But of course, a stock truck still feels dog slow, even compared to a mild tune. Then I went back to the 40hp tune and all was right with the world again.

When it happened again the other day, knocking volume seemed normal. I just restored the 40hp tune, didn't bother trying the stock again. Night and day difference.

I dunno. I sure seem to have bad luck with these boxes.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, this problem persists.

Last Saturday it did it again, about 10 minutes into my morning commute. It was running fine, then out of the clear blue sky, I go to accelerate away from an intersection and I have a sluggish truck. Reloaded the tune and it ran fine again.

The onset of this issue is strikingly similar to an early issue with my truck ... using the block heater used to intermittently (maybe once a week or so) cause the SES light to come on 10 minutes into my morning drive. It was setting P181 if I remember right, fuel temp sensor. It was a known issue and they did a PCM update to correct it.

It's almost like this Predator issue happens under the same circumstances.

I've avoided using the block heater since last Saturday and the issue has not shown back up. But it's too early to tell.

I'm thinking seriously of getting a Juice with the Attitude, since the Attitude provides a way to change the tunes in a 6-speed truck. And then run the Predator in a zero tune mode to get the speed limiter removal and speedometer correction. But I was messing with it last night, and I can't figure out how to load a zero tune with speedo correction and speed limit removal. The manual shows it as a menu option but it doesn't show up on the menu in my unit. This is version 1.07, maybe it's available in 1.10? Does anyone know?

·
Registered
38 Posts
On the preditor can you restore your truck to factory settings and then go and load it onto another truck like a hypertech tuner?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
BennyBoy said:
On the preditor can you restore your truck to factory settings and then go and load it onto another truck like a hypertech tuner?
Nope ......

Mac

1 - 8 of 8 Posts