Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the better shifting and faster spool up on the Predator 2.02 compared to the old 2.0, but where did the smoke go? I used to be able to dump a cloud when rolling into the pedal, but not any more. All that I get is a bit of a puff if I get on it from a start, but that's it.

Is the faster turbo spool keeping the smoke down?

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
That is the increased boost keeping the smoke down.

·
Registered
153 Posts
so I have a question. I have a preditor version 2.0 that I will be sending in to get the 2.02 update.
I was going to buy a boost stick because it is supposed to kick up the boost and give you better mpg and more power because the increased boost is supposed to use up the extra gas (smoke) that the programmer is putting out.
If the 2.02 kicks the boost up and doesn't smoke will I still get much benifit from a boost stick?
I am running 65hp now and was going to get a boost stick and leave it on 65hp when I get the tranny switched out to transynd.
the preditor shifted like **** at first. Now after 400 or so miles if shifts alot better, but is still a little off. It defuels or backs the power off a bit on shifts so it hauls ass then backs off for awhile when shifting. It is OK, but can't wait to see how much it improves with the 2.02 update. Then I can install my blocker plate and dissable the egr also.

·
Vendor
9,677 Posts
The smoke was converted into power rather than waste fuel...

The Boost stick wil have a more noticeable effect on the 2.00. From there it boils down to personal preference, geographic conditions, and the individual vehicle...

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
BudTX, if you want the smoke back I will swap you 1 of my 2.0 version Predator's for yours.:):):)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Rick;
Any luck with your Preditor problem a couple days ago??

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
More testing today. I will post over on that thread as soon as I know.

·
Registered
367 Posts
My V2.02 smokes more on the 40HP setting than my V2.0 did. Shifting is much smoother, but there is definitely more smoke on moderate to hard acceleration. Weird...

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I think mine smokes more on both 40 hp and 65 hp than it did with v 2.0 :confused:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have some smoke on the 40 tune. I did not have 2.0 so I can not compair.

·
Vendor
9,677 Posts
How many of you that are seeing increased smoke are running functioning EGR?

·
Registered
367 Posts
My EGR is functional. Time to unplug it and set the diagnostics off with the Predator?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've run both the 65hp @ 40hp tunes with Functioning EGR, and she smokes real bad with your foot in it. I had to baby the throttle pulling toy hauler . I am totally unhappy with that amount of smoke. Also my boost guage was jumping around between 20 @25 psi. I unplugged EGR, turned the EGR off in Predator and what a difference. Smoke disappeared. Boost gage quit jumping also. I am currently running 40 hp tune and haven't tried this setup on 65. Another note, in the predator EGR parameter ,I first turned it on by accident and my check engine light came on. So I reset code and turned EGR to off . 150 miles and no check engine light

P.S. when check engine light came onit set code P0401 EGR flow

·
Vendor
9,677 Posts
Increased boost requires increased drive psi. Increased drive psi promotes increased EGR flow.

Those wishing to retin EGR function (even those not) would do well to RESTORE AND RESET their Predators, then go into their dealer and report symptoms of a pop or backfire like sound under the hood at upshift under load. You could also report the low RPM surge if you've had it. The GM programming updates should reduce any EGR related issues and NOT reduce power.

The Predator should not affect these changes so long as the restore/reset is performed prior to loading

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BudTX, if you want the smoke back I will swap you 1 of my 2.0 version Predator's for yours.:):):)
Hmmm. I seem to recall a recent thread about someone having problems with reloading their 2.0 Predator. Must be a coincidence. :)

Thanks for the offer, Rick, but I like the kick in the pants that this 2.02 gives. :ro)

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For what it's worth, I did the "EGR Disable" thing on the 2.02, unplugged the EGR and then added a blocker plate for good measure.

·
Vendor
9,677 Posts
So it would seem that those with increased smoke have functional EGR and those with decreased smoke have defeated EGR...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Got the blocker plate and tried out the 100hp yesterday and it had very little smoke, if any at all.

On a side note, anyone getting the P0101 with the 2.02 on 65hp? I thought it was the BS but the pred alone throws them. Funny thing is 100hp doesn't.

·
Registered
367 Posts
So it would seem that those with increased smoke have functional EGR and those with decreased smoke have defeated EGR...
I'll unplug my EGR tonight and turn off the diagnostics with the Predator and will report back on how it affects the level of smoke I'm currently seeing. Truck runs fine, just blows more smoke than it used to with V2.0. No codes either.

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
Hmmm. I seem to recall a recent thread about someone having problems with reloading their 2.0 Predator. Must be a coincidence. :)

Thanks for the offer, Rick, but I like the kick in the pants that this 2.02 gives. :ro)
As usual my problem was somewhat operator error. I had installed some stereo equipment that the Predator didn't like.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts