Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CAN YOU tell me appox- how long it takes for the tranny to adjust to power output of a programmer??? I HAVE A PREDATOR 1.10B AND INSTALLED THE 85HP TUNE YESTERDAY ALLISON WAS NOT HAPPY WHEN I WOULD GET INTO IT, I TRIED TOW/HAUL TOO.COUPLE TIMES I THINK I SLIPPED THE TRANNY,NOT SURE IT WAS SHIFTING UNDER FULL PEDAL AND SOMEWHERE IN THE MIDDLE GEARS IT SEEMED LIKE A ZING?? RPM WENT UP FOR A SECOND ASS IT WAS IN A WIERD SHIFT, BUT NOTHING HAPPEN , I JUST LET OFF AND KEPT GOING. I REPROGRAMMED THE 40HP TUNE IT WAS WAY SMOOTHER TRANNY WAS HAPPY AGAIN. THE 85 HP WAS SO FUN THOUGH. I WILL TRY 65HP SOON. I DROVE AROUND ABOUT 2HRS NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH CODE ETC. JUST THE TRANNY FREAKING OUT SHIFTS WERE OFF AND WIERD. SO WOULD THE
TRANNY ADJUST TO THE POWER OR WHAT?THE TRUCK WAS SO FUN TO DRIVE W/85HP TUNE I HAVE 315BFG'S AND I BURNED 1ST AND 2ND GEAR TILL I LET OFF GOING INTO 3RD BIG SMOKEY POSSIE MARKS COMING OUT OF WALMART PARKING LOT ALL SIDEWAYS WOOHOO!! HOW MANY MILES DOES IT TAKE OR IS THE 85HP TUNE TO MUCH FOR A STOCK ALLISON??? IT DID SEEM TO IMPROVE A LITTLE ON THE WAY HOME BUT NOT MUCH

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
It will take quite a few shifts of different throttle position to get smoother ....Since you don't have access to a Tech II I assume, it's all slow learning ...

Gradually increase power tunes .... Swapping from lowest to highest and vise versa will most definately give you some screwy shifts ....

Get some miles on each tune for minimal shift disslikes...

Keep in mind the Predator does not interface with TCM reading to protect the Allison ....

Mac

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Mac

Pay 500 + for a tunner then drive it around for 2-3 hrs so trans will adapt. Are all the tunners this way or is it just the Predator.

Geno

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Yes with ALL power increasers .... It's the Allison that needs to adapt to the additional power being delivered ... Although it can be a bit quirky if you exceed the capacity of the Allison,all be it above the 90 safety zone in most peoples opinion....

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
14,321 Posts
You don't need a Tech 11 to put the computer in fast learn. A Mastertech scan tool (by Vetronix) has the same software for transmissions. Ask Eric.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I have the predator and thats why I quit using it. Their eallier versions all had a quirky 2-3 shift and lots of heat.......just taking up space in a old bag of tricks now.........Honestly there is nothing smoother or quieter than the juice. The quad has some good programs also but it makes more of the diesel rattle. Current weapon of choice is the quad 215 stacked with the edge attitude 145.......unbelievable power.....just not useable with a stock allison..........If I had to just have one it would be the juice

dave

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Whitch one best for towing with out hurting the trans. I was looking at the Quad towing version 110 HP max I think but went down to a 40HP low. says it also helps fuel mileage also. Quad says he can set RPM at 3500 and kill the speed limiter. I hate the 97mph shut off button

Geno

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I would put it in the lowest setting if you are pulling real heavy, but if it is lighter you could goup to the next level. Just watch your gauges.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
White Duramax

You are saying to run it in the low setting when loaded (4500lb slide in camper) but is it ok to go to the higher settings when empty.

Geno

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Yes, with only 4500lbs on, you could probably run the 70hp setting and be alright. DO you have gauges? If so, just watch them when you are loaded up.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
geno said:
White Duramax

You are saying to run it in the low setting when loaded (4500lb slide in camper) but is it ok to go to the higher settings when empty.

Geno

Your playing with matches on a dry windy day in the forest with out gauges with performance modifications ... Not saying it cant be done but it can get awfull warm,it's good to know to ease up a bit if your climbing and passing vehicles ....

MaC

·
Registered
1,715 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
White Duramax said:
Yes, with only 4500lbs on, you could probably run the 70hp setting and be alright. DO you have gauges? If so, just watch them when you are loaded up.

Thanks for the advice. Guages an pod on order from Eric, Should be here anyday. Understand temps with a diesel, had to watch pyro when I had my big truck years ago. Main worry is the trans. Thanks again

Geno

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
THE HOTTEST IT GOT WAS 800DEG WIDE OPEN UP A HILL EMPTY. DRIVING AROUND TOWN GETTING ON IT FROM STREET LIGHT TO STREET LIGHT IT ONLY REACHED 600DEG! MY GAUGE SEEMS VERY ACURATE . I THINK THE PREDATOR NEW VER. 1.10B IS REALLY IMPROVED FROM OLD VER. TUNES. I HAVE IT ON THE 40 TUNE NOW AND MY EGT'S ARE THE SAME AS THEY WERE STOCK MAYBE 50DEG HOTTER ON THE HIGH SIDE. THE 40HP TUNE IS A NICE GAIN FOR A MILD NUMBER YOU CAN REALLY FEEL A INCREASE RIGHT FROM IDLE BUT ITS SMOOTH HAS A GOOD BURST OF POWER FOR A 40 TUNE AT 1800RPM. I CAN SEE MY GAS MILEAGE INCREASING.

·
Registered
249 Posts
does any one have any advice on bully dog power pup? I just want to run the 55hp gain. Do I need gauges for this?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MAC , HEY MY EGT IS POST TURBO RIGHT AT THE BEND AFTER THE WASTEGATE SO AS FAR AS MANAFOLD TEMP IM PROBABLY ABOUT 150-200 DEG LESS. I HAVE A QUESTION! IF IM JUST AFTER THE TURBO LIKE 2 INCHES DOESNT THAT GIVE ME A ACCURATE TEMP OF WHAT TEMP MY TURBO IS ? AS FAR AS IM CONSERNED I INTERESTED IN THE TURBO TEMP NOT WHAT TEMP IS COMING OUT OF THE EXAUST PORT OF THE HEAD.

·
Registered
450 Posts
2500HDING said,AS FAR AS IM CONSERNED I INTERESTED IN THE TURBO TEMP NOT WHAT TEMP IS COMING OUT OF THE EXAUST PORT OF THE HEAD.

You should be! That is the tempurature your feeding the turbo! The tempurature you are seeing is the sum after all the heat has gone into your turbo!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE IN TEMP RANGE,POST PRE. I HAVE HERD FROM COUPLE PEOPLE THAT THE DIFFERENCE IS BETWEEN 100-200 DEGREES? IS THAT THE AVERAGE! HOW MANY DEGREES CAN THE POST WASTEGATE TURBO COOL DOWN ITS RIGHT THERE 2INCHES OUT OF THE TURBO. SO MY MAX TEMPS POST SHOULD BE AROUND 1200DEG???

1 - 20 of 23 Posts