Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've now tried all 3 of these things, and much to my surprise, my impressions of them don't necessarily coincide with what other people are saying about them. A personal thing or perhaps different vehicles react differently, I don't know. My truck is a 6-speed, that could have something to do with it. The moral of the story though is that what's working for one person isn't necessarily what works for you.

Predator

- Some problems downloading, it'll stop sometimes with a "Script Interpreter Error" and a couple of times it has just frozen up in the middle of a download. When it gets an error, the truck won't start. The unit will say missing VIN, but it'll then offer to restore the stock tune. It's always recovered for me, thank god.

- Big surge in power as the motor crosses 1800 rpm, evident in all tunes. Clumsy at first but I subconsciously learned to compensate and smooth it out with my right foot position and shift points. Now I like it. Truck is VERY responsive even in the lower tunes.

- EGT's are somewhat warm. Easy to get into trouble when you're on the higher hp tunes, even empty. Not really a problem at 40hp and 65hp empty. Towing, 40hp tune is manageable.

- Smokes like a chimney in upper tunes. Not bad at all in 40hp and 65hp.

- Mileage improved an honest 1-2mpg. Broke 20mpg for the first time in my truck's 42K mile life.

- Recently developed an intermittent issue where the truck loses power back to something akin to stock level until tune is reloaded. Seems to be associated with colder weather, and possibly the use of the block heater. Diablosport unresponsive, James at Runninwiththedevil has been great, has committed to helping me work it out. Step 1 was to send it back to Diablosport for updating to V1.10, we'll work from there.

Quadzilla Stealth

- First unit was essentially unusable, constant lock-ups during the dialogue. Sent it back.

- Bought a second unit after Quad reported an issue found and fixed that may have caused download problems. Worked much better, but in 5 downloads, it failed once, the screen just said "ERROR - 00" and it was locked. Truck was dead. Fortunately, after re-plugging it in, it detected the issue and let me reload the stock tune.

- Knocks noticeably louder than stock, particularly in the first quarter inch or so of throttle pedal travel.

- Mild surge of power in that same quarter inch of travel. Surge would happen when passing through that throttle position both depressing and letting off the throttle, the latter of which was really disconcerting. When I'm letting off the throttle, I expect the truck to slow down, it bothers the hell out of me to feel it pull forward slightly. Reminded me strongly of how my old Ford would feel when I let one tank run dry before switching to the other. You'd know the first tank was out of diesel before the engine quit because as it went lean the truck would start knocking louder and at the same time it'd pull forward on you (switch tanks fast before the engine dies!). That's exactly how the Quad felt in that first little bit of throttle pedal movement.

- Cool EGT's and little smoke, on any setting.

- Used in for 1 day and returned it, I just couldn't live with the louder knocking and especially the throttle position dependent surge.

Edge Juice with Attitude

- Installed easily, no issues.

- My first impression was "is this thing on?". I just wasn't feeling the power. Perhaps my expectations were so high from hearing people sing it's praises. I expected it to be much more responsive than it is.

- That low boost fueling control is the key to responsiveness. But, in conjunction with the power level selected, it's also what makes it smokey. There's no free lunch.

- After a whole lot of fiddling (damn it's nice to be able to change things on the fly), decide

·
Registered
958 Posts
Good write up, thanks!

I've only tried the Juice (90hp) and Bullydog Power Pup (155hp). The Power Pup blew it away (of course) for seat of the pants acceleration.. It would hit ~1900RPM and start smoking the tires in 3rd gear.

Below that RPM it was no quicker than stock though. The Edge doesn't have a surge in power, it just starts pulling hard at a much earlier RPM than stock and keeps climbing.

With my experience, and having you shared yours, I get the feeling that the Predator would be much like the Power Pup but with less 35" tire burning jam (which is probably a good thing for ME)

I found that the Edge didn't smoke worth a piddly sh*t compared to the BD PP, but while the BD PP was smoking like a sumbitch the Juice was using that fuel for making POWER.

All being said, I think I'm going to buy a Predator and be happy. Thanks.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tell you what, they on-the-fly adjustability of the Juice just became a whole lot more valuable feature to me. We had a snowstorm over the weekend. It's NICE to be able to crank down the power by just touching a button for an icy road, and equally nice to be able to instantly crank it back up for a good road. Beats the hell out of reloading a tune into the PCM. And I sure would not have wanted the Pred's instant-on powerband on these kinds of roads. The thing is growing on me ;)

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have not tried the Quad. I have the Pred 120 and Juice 90. The Predator is twitchy, smokey and EGTs are higher. On the 120 HP setting it comes on too hard. Not enough of a transition and not smooth. More like an on off switch. The Juice is very smooth from partial to full throttle on all settings. Also, the EGTs are lots lower. Not sure why you would want the Predator if you could afford the Juice. Having said that, with all of the functions that you get with the Predator and the fact that the speed and tire functions really work, if they could get the tunes down, the Predator would be the best deal out there hands down. I am just not sure why they cannot seem to get the tuning closer.

Jess

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I also have the Predator, the tune I have is custom and a little more than the 120, I have also tried a 90hp juice. I dont think the Predator is too bad, it is ver driveable if you ask me, I have ran that custom tune a lot and I have no problems with the petal being touchy, I guess Im just used to the way it feels. My buddies 90 juice also smokes more than my Predator-120+. Egts are a little higher, but they seem to still be acceptable. I do have a question, has anyone tried the Van Aaken 90/150?? Thanks jmho

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
See, that's the thing. We do all this talking on here about these boxes, but different people are having different experiences with each. That's what surprised me about chipping my truck, my experiences did not match what I had been reading.

·
Registered
64 Posts
ZFMax,

I have the Predator and felt the power surge at 1800/2000 RPM was a safety issue, particularly when I got caught towing (@ about 19,000 lbs CGVW) on ice in the mountians. I contacted James @ Runnin with the devil and we did some reprograming of a custom tune via the internet. I installed the new tune and did a solo run, it appears that the new tune has cured the power surge problems, yet I still have the same overall power. I only use the 40 HP tune for towing and solo driving. James has been great to work with,
( customer Service)
. the surge problem only surfaced after upgrading to Ver 1.10. After I get a chance to tow, James will have Diablosport customize the other tunes. Being able to upload/download via the internet has been great. I have the Allison tranny, that may make a difference. I have not had any experience with any other box.

Bob

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Tinbender said:
ZFMax,

I have the Predator and felt the power surge at 1800/2000 RPM was a safety issue, particularly when I got caught towing (@ about 19,000 lbs CGVW) on ice in the mountians. I contacted James @ Runnin with the devil and we did some reprograming of a custom tune via the internet. I installed the new tune and did a solo run, it appears that the new tune has cured the power surge problems, yet I still have the same overall power. I only use the 40 HP tune for towing and solo driving. James has been great to work with,
( customer Service)
. the surge problem only surfaced after upgrading to Ver 1.10. After I get a chance to tow, James will have Diablosport customize the other tunes. Being able to upload/download via the internet has been great. I have the Allison tranny, that may make a difference. I have not had any experience with any other box.

Bob

HMMMMM..................???

I thought all Predators needed to be sent back with an RMA number to get updated.

I asked James in an e-mail and was told I needed to send it in for an upgrade if I wanted to.

I would be interested in an update if I don't have to ship mine.....

Anyone wanna pass the phone number or his e-mail to me.

T
NY

·
Registered
64 Posts
GMC-2002-DMAX

To get the upgrade I had to send my Predator to Diablosport with a RMA for ver 1.10. The reprogramming we are doing is to custom tune because of the surge problem, not an upgrade. Did you purchase your Predator from James??

Bob

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Tinbender said:
GMC-2002-DMAX

To get the upgrade I had to send my Predator to Diablosport with a RMA for ver 1.10. The reprogramming we are doing is to custom tune because of the surge problem, not an upgrade. Did you purchase your Predator from James??

Bob

No,

Got mine from another dealer.

Mine is one of the first 4 tune models with 40-65-85-100 hp tunes.

I have no issues with it, I seldom even run it. It is nice for diagnostics and before I got the Quadzilla 215hp Stealth Tuner it was great for for tire reflash and top speed limiter removal.

How are those custom tunes ??

Worth looking at ???????

T
NYEdited by: GMC-2002-Dmax

·
Registered
64 Posts
GMC-2002-Dmax & BukWild

The custom tune that James is working with Diablosport ONLY corrects the surge problem. When I mentioned that after I verified that the problem was solved, then they would make the changes to the other HP settings. Overall the power output is the same as far as I can tell, (Seat of the pants diagnostics) and again I'm only running the 40HP tune.

You would have to direct any questions directly to James at [email protected]

I tried the email feature in the profile, but it would not allow me to send an email. Probably operator error!

Bob Edited by: Tinbender

·
Registered
946 Posts
So which will give me seat of the pants roast them off power from stock? I am stock, and need something to start with. Which will I like?

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Juice

·
Registered
946 Posts
Got ya!!!! Santa will tell me!!! HEHEHEHE

·
Registered
958 Posts
Hired Gun said:
So which will give me seat of the pants roast them off power from stock? I am stock, and need something to start with. Which will I like?

Stock truck (6spd), plugged in the Bullydog Power Programmer (155hp flavor), and my 35" tires were roasting on a hot summer day in 3rd gear with a rolling start(~15mph), no clutch, just the hammer down hard going in a straight line..

The juice (90 horsies) was able to do it too, with some turning assistance to break 'em loose, but not near as impressive as the power pup. In stock form 2nd gear won't spin in a straight line (on dry pavement).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts