Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While changing the oil and filter in my truck, I decided to install a replacement fuel filter as well. Some may recall the pictures posted by mdrag of TDP at

http://community.webshots.com/album/78464371PcGaFz

The badly rusted fuel filter was removed from my truck on 7-11-03 by John Kennedy while I was at his place having him install a post-OEM Mega Filter. The rusted filter pictured had just over 12,000 miles on it. When I went to the local autoparts to purchase their house-brand OEM fuel filter. They had 4 in stock and much to the displeasure of the owner
, they all showed signs of rust. I purchased the least rusty in the group and as I installed it, I did so with a grin on my face!
It felt good to install it knowing that if it does rust and if it does contaminate my fuel leaving the OEM filter, the Mega is there to catch it.

The fuel filter I removed today has been in use for just over 8,700 miles. A close inspection revealed no rust!
Prior to finding the rusted fuel filter I was using Howe's fuel treatment at every fill-up. Since then I have added FPPF Total Power to every tank and add their 8+ Booster when towing a heavy load. Around here, I still buy fuel at the same local high volume stations from which I have purchased every since the truck was new.

I really can't prove just how much in the way of positive affects these combined changes have made to my truck? I do know they the apparent results make me feel better!

Jim

·
Registered
391 Posts
Well "HOWES " is what I am useing..I will cut open filter to check for rust(later) but I only have 3k on my truck,IF THERES ANY CRAP IN THERE I'LL BE CHANGEING TO SOMETHING ELSE

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
running primrose 405, mine looked just like George Morrison's on the inside... no rust...

·
Registered
909 Posts
I've been lucky so far, no rust. We should keep on these suppliers and eventually Racor will clean up their act.

I believe it's been stated before that the rust is appearing on the dirty side of the OEM filter. So both the OEM and post-OEM filter will have a chance catch it.

Edited by: Ray403Dmax

·
Vendor
9,678 Posts
FWIW, mine don't sit on my suppliers shelf. They are run on his regular stock order. They are occasionally delayed due to back orders. They STILL sometimes have rust in them. IMHO, it's not a shelf life/storage issue. rather a Racor QC/Process issue...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just bought a 2004 d/a where do you buy this howe fuel additive and does it void warranty?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tomslick24 said:
Just bought a 2004 d/a where do you buy this howe fuel additive and does it void warranty?

You can usuall find Howe's pretty easily, I've seen it at most truck stops and many auto parts. I have two gallons in the garage that I would be happy to part with
. Sources from which to purchase FPPF Total Power are somewhat more limited. I purchase mine by the case from John Kennedy at http://www.kennedydiesel.com/ To determine the dealer nearest you, call 1-800-735-3773 or go to http://www.fppf.com/mreps.html

Your warranty question is a whole different ballgame. There are several different additives that are spoken of highly by folks in postion to know on this and other web sites. Neither Howe's or FPPF is on the short list of products officially approved by GM. I'd suggest you spend some time searching other threads on this issue in the hope of coming to grips with a decision you feel best suits your needs.

Jim

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Jim

As big as the mega is, looks like it will go at least 50k before replacement, think I will watch the D P to determine when to replace the element. As far as rust goes I will take all those rusty filters out there that all is complaining about cause I feel the Mega Drum will catch it with room for filtration.

Geno

·
Registered
909 Posts
Kennedy said:
IMHO, it's not a shelf life/storage issue. rather a Racor QC/Process issue...

I'd bet you're right. Hopefully customers are complaining to distributers and, in turn, Racor is getting the word.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
geno said:
Jim

As big as the mega is, looks like it will go at least 50k before replacement, think I will watch the D P to determine when to replace the element. As far as rust goes I will take all those rusty filters out there that all is complaining about cause I feel the Mega Drum will catch it with room for filtration.

Geno

Geno....

Amen !!!
Exactly my conclusion.

Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts