Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone used a pre-oem cat long enough to have any feedback on how it behaves in the winter.

·
Registered
62 Posts
10-ton - I can't comment on the Cat, but I ran my Racor 660R on the frame rail all last winter (without the heater hooked up), and it was fine. At one point, the truck sat in 0 degree weather for 3 days straight, and started right up on the third day, early in the morning. I do run an additive at all times (FPPF).

I'm thinking if you're getting a winter blend already, then an additive, it has to be pretty darn cold to cause problems. Hope this helps.

Josh

·
Registered
138 Posts
That's good news Smitty. Currently my hangup with extra filtration (not under the hood). Think I'll wait for a few more reports before committing and/or do a bit more research on the topic.

My problem is living in Albuquerque where it seldom gets to 20 F and then heading North with 45 gallons of ???. I haven't tracked down a refinery person around here to find out just what blend we run in the winter time and over what period of time. The folks at the truck stop I use just look at you with a blank stare when you ask them the question.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
If you need a heater option i have a few i'm working on for my kit. they are made by CAT. racor has some to but they cost a bit more.. i still think you'll be fine w/ winter fuel but i don't live where it gets below zero so i can't honestly say!

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
After a period of time wouldn't fuel returned to the tank and recirculated warm up the fuel in the filter too?

I would imagine if it can start, you should be okay.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
i believe the gelling problem will decrease the longer you run the truck for the reason you stated. however i have never measured the temp of the fuel coming back from the engine when its very cold out yet.. i don't know how much the lower temps will cool it before it mixes with the fuel in the tank..

·
Registered
341 Posts
You could always keep some of those battery powered heated socks handy & if the filter ever jelled, you could slip one on for a while till it heated up... Yes?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Regarding the CAT pre-oem and winter. I would highly suggest using good high quality fuel such as BP Diesel Supreme (if available in your area) along with a double insurance of a high quality winter diesel fuel additive such as Primrose 409. A high quality winter fuel additive will tie up free water preventing fuel filter swell/restriction plus reduce filter clogging enabling trouble free operation even in sub-zero temps. Also the CAT, even tho being an effective 2 micron filter, flows much better than a comparable cellulose 10/20 micron filter.
Moreover if you have any question with your winter diesel fuel quality, additize...
George Morrison, STLE CLS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts