Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the part number for a TPS for a 1993 6.5L?

I've been troubleshooting my hard shift into second and no overdrive. The OBD gave me a code 22, which is low voltage on the TPS. I took a look under the hood and sure enough, there is a sensor on the top of the injection pump that feels busted. If I pull the wire off it, the metal connector coming out of it feels very loose and sloppy as if it's broken inside. It's a little can with a blue wire going into it. It is held onto the pump by 2 small hex bolts.

I looked on several auto parts web sites but they only listed one with 3 or 4 wires that didn't even look similar, I suspect it was the TPS for the 1994 and newer 6.5.

Thank you.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
If NAPA doesn't carry it, that will be a dealer-only item - it's the black plastic attachment on the throttle-shaft, passenger-side of the Inj Pump.

Top front terminal on the IP is the internal Fuel Shut Off solenoid (large pink or red wire), can on the driver's-side is the fast-idle solenoid(green wire), terminal to the rear on the passenger-side is the internal HPCA solenoid(green wire).

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, the part I was looking at is the fast idle solenoid, I didn't even know this truck had one of those. I'll be sure to take a better look at the TPS tonight.

Thanks!

·
Registered
205 Posts
donniej;1557767; said:
Does anyone have the part number for a TPS for a 1993 6.5L?,
The Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) part # is 10137417. Its pretty much a dealer only part and GM list is around $150.00

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bobbiemartin;1559184; said:
The Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) part # is 10137417. Its pretty much a dealer only part and GM list is around $150.00
Thank you very much!

I pulled the batteries last night to clean the terminals and after putting them back together, the trans worked like it should and I'll bet the code 22 is gone. If I get the code 22 again then I know I need to go to the dealer for a TPS.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I had assumed our mechanical 92/93 engines didn't have a TPS, but must have one for the trans to shift properly? Glad to hear your getting closer to tracking your problem down.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tracy;1560209; said:
I had assumed our mechanical 92/93 engines didn't have a TPS, but must have one for the trans to shift properly? Glad to hear your getting closer to tracking your problem down.
You have to look for it. It's on the passenger side, about in the middle of the injection pump. It's pretty well hidden under the intake but you can see the 3 wires coming out of it and running into a connector just behind the large boxy part of the intake.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Thanks good to know might save me some messing around some day.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Tracy;1560209; said:
I had assumed our mechanical 92/93 engines didn't have a TPS, but must have one for the trans to shift properly?
The automatic trucks do for the trans computer.

·
Registered
205 Posts
donniej;1559949; said:
Thank you very much!

I pulled the batteries last night to clean the terminals and after putting them back together, the trans worked like it should and I'll bet the code 22 is gone. If I get the code 22 again then I know I need to go to the dealer for a TPS.
Uhh, I just thought about something, that PN is for 94+ trucks with a DB2/4L80E, you might better double check to see if if works on a 93 before you buy one. Sorry about that!:eek::

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bobbiemartin;1560945; said:
Uhh, I just thought about something, that PN is for 94+ trucks with a DB2/4L80E, you might better double check to see if if works on a 93 before you buy one. Sorry about that!:eek::
OK, no problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts