Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, been lurking here for several months knowing that it was only a matter of time before before I pulled the trigger and bought a D-Max. Well, this past weekend I became the proud owner of an '04 CC LB7 4X4.:D

Anyway, I'm wandering if anyone could compare these three tuners with regards to throttle response, engine noise, transmission shifts, and smoke in the lower levels. My truck has a stock tranny and will stay that way for a while, so I know a can not run these tunes higher than the first couple of levels. Just looking for a little extra fun factor that will not break the bank, (or my truck as it is my daily driver).

I will not be towing anything really heavy or that often. Please hold off on EFI Live comments, while it would be nice, I do not currently have the funds. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmmm, not one single opinion on any of these boxes? I know edge seems to be a favorite and I will need gauges if I decide to run anything higher than about a 65 hp setting. 4" exhaust would also be nice, but right now I'm just looking for a reliable tuner to have a little fun.

I have searched plenty and been reading for several months, but have not seen these particular boxes compared regarding the four questions in the original post. Remember, I want to know about the lower settings on the tuners. I know more smoke, throtle response, etc. will come on the higher settings.

Again, any help would be appreciated. You guys seemed so nice to all the other posters, will someone please talk to me?:eek::

·
Registered
260 Posts
95rover I have the Diablo-Predator.02 very happy with it.M.P.G. went up very smooth shifts compared to my buddies Qaudzilla also less smoke.Just stay away from the higher levels with a stock tranny.BTW my buddy and I switched, he took my Diablo I took his Qaud for a week he to saw a mpg gain and smooter shifts, I didn't care for the Qaud but that's just my personal opinion.Also the Diablo can diagnose and reset codes the Qaud can't.Do you know of a local performance shop that has a truck with a programer installed? See if they will take you for a little spin, that's how I made my intial decision.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I ran the Stealth and the PPE. Both are excellent tuners with good power. The lower tunes will give you nice power increases with smooth operations. I think the Stealth is a little easier and faster to use but the PPE was more reliable. Sometimes with the Stealth2 I had to load the tune twice to get it to take. PPE has good customer service and stands by their product. They also have a nice upgrade path if you want to get into the extreme tunes later on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys, thanks for the replies so far. Sounds like the Quadzilla may not stack up to the other tuners. I have read were most people are happy with the Predator, and there are several out there. If anyone has more input on the PPE Xcellerator Economy I would appreciate it.

I'll probably be making a purchase in the next couple of days, so looking for as much information as possible. BTW, I love this truck so far:) , even though it is bone stock. Thanks again.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Dan L;1575514; said:
95rover I have the Diablo-Predator.02 very happy with it.M.P.G. went up very smooth shifts compared to my buddies Qaudzilla also less smoke.Just stay away from the higher levels with a stock tranny.BTW my buddy and I switched, he took my Diablo I took his Qaud for a week he to saw a mpg gain and smooter shifts, I didn't care for the Qaud but that's just my personal opinion.Also the Diablo can diagnose and reset codes the Qaud can't.Do you know of a local performance shop that has a truck with a programer installed? See if they will take you for a little spin, that's how I made my intial decision.
The Stealth 2 reads and erases code plus it has real time data scanning as well. You can reset the tranny and it reads tranny codes and resets them. Plus it does all the other things.

If you do a search on some dyno number there were some guys in the 140rwhp gain range with the 135hp tune. None of them are going to shift worth a flip if you throw a 140 extra horsepower in and the tranny does not learn?

Maybe you had a very old one or something? The LB7/LLY are also the same part number.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Exactly! It was probably a really old one. I have the Stealth 2 and it was really good. Never had a rough shift. Overall the tuning was really good. It was less smokey than the PPE. PPE is no slouch in the power department just smoked like a freight train.

·
Registered
269 Posts
95rover.. hey man to be totally honest with ya they are all about the same in performance. the more you pay the more you get in return at least thats what i have noticed. I ask realitively the same question and people just told me to pick the one that will fit what you want and your budget. jmo

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
For the money the predator is the best option. If your planning on running higher hp in the future which you will once you feel the difference and then the addiction starts, I'd go with either PPE since you can have it upgraded or the Quad. Predator works good but if you pull anything small with the 120 or excellerate up an incline you will feel it surge do to the programming. Not a big deal but sometimes annoying. Mpg are good with the predator. I got 22 mpg in the flats in Nebraska on the 120 going 72 mph with the cruise. AS I went down in power so did the mpg. Don't have any experience with PPE other than its the most powerfull handheld programmer out there if you chose to upgrade the Xcellerator to the 360 hp. My quad stealth 10 tune works great also. On the 215hp level my milage is even better than the pred if you keep your foot out of it. If not tires, mpg, and tranny takes a beating. I've tried the 2 programmers and also the edge. After sending my edge to get upgraded to the newest version I've had zero problems and now run the bastard stack. Hope I've helped.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
To be fair to PPE though the smokey tunes were higher than my 6 level Quad Stealth 2 has.

·
Registered
260 Posts
carterkraft;1577432; said:
The Stealth 2 reads and erases code plus it has real time data scanning as well. You can reset the tranny and it reads tranny codes and resets them. Plus it does all the other things.

If you do a search on some dyno number there were some guys in the 140rwhp gain range with the 135hp tune. None of them are going to shift worth a flip if you throw a 140 extra horsepower in and the tranny does not learn?

Maybe you had a very old one or something? The LB7/LLY are also the same part number.
You are correct carterkraft this Qaud was only on the market a month when he bought it a few years ago.Qaud Stealth 2 does have more bells and whistles I should have been more specific.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I have a PPE standard which has 2 hotter tunes than a Economy box. I usually leave it on 120. You have to work it very hard pulling a enclosed trailer to get the pyro over 1000 even on decent sized hills. My best MPG to date is 21 with 4 people on a 147 mi trip 1/2 at 85 on 4 lane 1/2 at 65 on 2 lane.:) It smokes very little on this tune. It developed a fair share of smoke on tune 4 before my 4 in. exhaust. Even on tune 5 sledpulling all you can see is a nice haze no bellows of black with my present mods. IMO PPE is the thing to have. Awesome power on tunes and excellent driveability even on the 210 tune. It has great manners but if you mash it it's there.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Yeah my smokey PPEs were a Hot and a Hot +2ET versions.

Really liked their tuning though.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I had no complaints with my quad 135. I ran it for 3 years. Very good mileage and very good driveability and a ton of power.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Remember some rate hp at the wheels and others at the flywheel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts