Diesel Place banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, well I decided that I would not be putting my edge juice back on since its last removal for troubleshooting. I put a feeler out and Kyle (aka1lowdiesel) at XDP answered with a offer that made my wallet open.

As promised I started recieving my parts today, a PPE standard and pretty exhaust tip to go with my exhaust that is on its way with a air filter. Everything arrived profisionally packed well enough to last the trip to AK.

Well on to the topic of this post, my new PPE tuner. Believe it or not but I actually read the instructions before going out and still had difficulties.

After pulling the fuses I hooked up the unit and it turns on, I follow the screen and turn the key to run it turns to checking Vin# then I wait, and wait, and wait. Finally I give up and turn the key off. It turns to unlocking, so I turn the key back on and wait, and wait. When I mean wait we are talking about 30 min each session. So again I give up, put fuses back in to verify the truck will restart, and it does so I press on.

After going thru this for a few HOURS I try it in the ON (first click)... low and behold it starts working, flipping thru the pages... verify, unlock, tune/adjust. HMM why wont it work like its instructions say? Don't know but I set it to level 3 since that give the best mileage, adjust the tire size and procede to load.

Hit a hiccup as I clicked on one of the check options and get a blank screen. No buttons work so I unplug the unit and plug it back in and start over. It knew my truck and proceded to letting me make my adjustments rather quickly. I tell it to load the program and it tells me its unlocking the ecm and stays there... for 30 minutes.

Not this again!!! I unplug the unit and then plug it back in. This time it tells me that it adjusted my tune level and tire size. I don't know if I was supposed to get a confirmation page or something but it never did. I plug the fuses back in and crank her on up, it starts and runs so I guess all is well so I tell the unit to tell the trans to relearn and again it will only do it in the on position, of course I figure this out after waiting another 30 min for it then getting pissed and disonnecting the unit again.

I will take it for a spin tomorrow with my gps, I hope setting the tire size to 34.25 will be close for my H2 take offs which calculate out to 34.4. Don't know if I will be abel to tell power as its snowing pretty good right now.

There are a few things I wish PPE would include in thier 5 page instruction pamplet.

1. Times, approx how long should it take. This way someone will know if things arent correct!

2. The no button works like a back button or clr on your cell phone to navigate the pages of the unit!

3. Make the unit match the instruction pamplet. Step 2 in the pamplet says to turn the key to on, but the programmer says to turn it to run, two totally different settings as my night has proved.

Ok, not trying to cry, or asking for pitty. Just want to share my experience. And eventhough I see Dan goes above and beyond I won't call him at 2400 hrs alaska time.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I Have Noticed Some Hicups With My Ppe Standard As Well, I Have The Lb7 And It Tells You To Take Out The Radeo Fuse, Seo1 And Seo2 Fuse. Well When I Took These Fuses Out And Pluged The Ppe In I Got No Response No Power Nothing. So I Just Put The Fuses Back In Except The Radeo Fuse, Everything Worked Fine. Loaded My Tunes And Wow What A Difference In The Truck. I Do Notice That It Takes Time To Unlock And Save Stock Setting, Sometimes I Cant Do The Trans Reset And Relearn But For The Most Part If You Just Be Patient Sometimes Just Walk Away And Give It A Few Mins You Will Get The Results You Want.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
OK, well I decided that I would not be putting my edge juice back on since its last removal for troubleshooting. I put a feeler out and Kyle (aka1lowdiesel) at XDP answered with a offer that made my wallet open.

As promised I started recieving my parts today, a PPE standard and pretty exhaust tip to go with my exhaust that is on its way with a air filter. Everything arrived profisionally packed well enough to last the trip to AK.

Well on to the topic of this post, my new PPE tuner. Believe it or not but I actually read the instructions before going out and still had difficulties.

After pulling the fuses I hooked up the unit and it turns on, I follow the screen and turn the key to run it turns to checking Vin# then I wait, and wait, and wait. Finally I give up and turn the key off. It turns to unlocking, so I turn the key back on and wait, and wait. When I mean wait we are talking about 30 min each session. So again I give up, put fuses back in to verify the truck will restart, and it does so I press on.

After going thru this for a few HOURS I try it in the ON (first click)... low and behold it starts working, flipping thru the pages... verify, unlock, tune/adjust. HMM why wont it work like its instructions say? Don't know but I set it to level 3 since that give the best mileage, adjust the tire size and procede to load.

Hit a hiccup as I clicked on one of the check options and get a blank screen. No buttons work so I unplug the unit and plug it back in and start over. It knew my truck and proceded to letting me make my adjustments rather quickly. I tell it to load the program and it tells me its unlocking the ecm and stays there... for 30 minutes.

Not this again!!! I unplug the unit and then plug it back in. This time it tells me that it adjusted my tune level and tire size. I don't know if I was supposed to get a confirmation page or something but it never did. I plug the fuses back in and crank her on up, it starts and runs so I guess all is well so I tell the unit to tell the trans to relearn and again it will only do it in the on position, of course I figure this out after waiting another 30 min for it then getting pissed and disonnecting the unit again.

I will take it for a spin tomorrow with my gps, I hope setting the tire size to 34.25 will be close for my H2 take offs which calculate out to 34.4. Don't know if I will be abel to tell power as its snowing pretty good right now.

There are a few things I wish PPE would include in thier 5 page instruction pamplet.

1. Times, approx how long should it take. This way someone will know if things arent correct!

2. The no button works like a back button or clr on your cell phone to navigate the pages of the unit!

3. Make the unit match the instruction pamplet. Step 2 in the pamplet says to turn the key to on, but the programmer says to turn it to run, two totally different settings as my night has proved.

Ok, not trying to cry, or asking for pitty. Just want to share my experience. And eventhough I see Dan goes above and beyond I won't call him at 2400 hrs alaska time.

Please call me....The tunes you selected did not load. 714-985-4825.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried calling but got a message saying you are only open monday thru friday. Guess I will call on monday.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tried it again today and same thing. I access right into the tuning now that it thinks its tuned but it hangs on updating stock tune or something of the sort, if I just put it in the on position it will go past that after a while and hang on unlocking ecm, do not disturb.

My wait times have been between 30 minutes to a hour. If that is how long its supposed to take then I am dissapointed. It appears that my truck can't be tuned then I will have to return the tuner, but I can't return it to the stock tune so I don't know how that will work.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
That is PPE main number. Call Monday morning. Dont try and tune truck with it anymore.

Your truck CAN be tuned. Sorry bout your troubles....

·
Mechanical Enginerd
1,013 Posts
Don't get discouraged just yet!

I've got an 03 duramax also, and it works exactly as the manual says.
It doesn't take exceptionally long to tune either. The longest tune i ever did was going back to stock from tune 3. That took about 10 minutes of waiting. Everything else was pretty fast... less than 5 minutes.

PPE will get you straightened out. Whether it's their hardware or yours they will help you diagnose it.

Good luck to ya!

·
Banned
4,272 Posts
PPE tuners take a few minutes to load the stock data but then loading tunes and changing to different tunes is a whole lot quicker.

Hang in there. Dan will set you straight if you just give him a call. Tuning doesn't take that long so call him and talk with him to see if there is a problem with your tuner or if there are other steps you can take to avoid that long of a load time.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
dan is right chuck, the tunes didn't load, b/c it got stuck in the middle of the dl the computer thinks it's in there but it really isn't. reading and tuning the truck should take less than 10min the first time and 5min after that. if the unit gets stuck on one screen just unplug it and start over, i've had the same issue a few times, in some cases it takes 3x before the thing will start it's programming. give me a shout if you have any questions. i believe dan is out on mondays.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
When i loaded mine into my truck I didn't take any fuses out just made sure everything was turned off and it works fine all the time.

·
Mechanical Enginerd
1,013 Posts
x2 to that... but shhh.... we're not supposed to! I bet one of the next two posts will explain why :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Stick with it. i got rid of my hypertech for the ppe. Its the best thing out there other than efi live

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I spoke with Bob yesterday, one of Dan's associates. With his guidance we were unable to return the truck to stock (the tuner thinks its tuned but the truck isn't). He made some calls, called me back, we replaced a couple of fuses to no avail. He said he is going to call the engineers for advice.

Driving the truck today to work I know the trans relearn took because it was shifting all funky for a while.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sent ya a pm with my number sat. Still no workie

·
Registered
93 Posts
My buddy let me borrow his PPE tuner for a little bit.

I did have a few hiccups when first installing the tune. And when changing which tune I had it on it came up with an error once.

When I tuned mine I did not remove any fuses, but it did mess with the radio. Everytime the tune took the radio would switch to CD#1 in the changer and play the first track.

When the tuner did the blank screen, I hit the yes button and it moved on to the select tune screen.

After I got it figured out it was nothing but pure badass.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, so I got a call from Dan today to see if I got it all straightened out for which my response was no. We went over the truck accessories and he keyed in on my remote start. Even though I pulled the fuse for it (which was wired into my amp monster fuse) was the most probable cause to my error.

I was tasked with chasing the purple wire up from the data port and look for a T junction. Low and behold, once I got home I found it about 4 inches up soldered on. So I clipped it, tried returning the truck back to stock and the pages start clicking away. WOW, ok, now lets cycle it and start the truck to make sure we are good. It starts, runs, all seems fine.

I attempt to program and change the tire size with as the unit says and pages click by, progress is evident. No more lagging or hanging up on pages! The tune loads, I get confirmation screens. Start the truck and it runs no problems (late at night again and snowing so I will wait on the test drive). I verify by hooking up the unit once more and it shows the proper modifications, I reset the auto trans and wait for the snow to clear now.

One thing I noticed is my radio now gives me a RSE error message. I recall having this error once before and took it to the dealer. Any inputs?

Either way, the unit loads fast and wonderfully. I would still try to note a time required for guidance so someone knows when things aren't going right, like me. Shoot, I killed my batteries twice trying this earlier.

Thanks Dan and Bob, definatly tech support above reproach!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WOW, took it out for a spin and what smooth power. Unlike my edge it was even application of power and torque. sure is a nice tune. Cant wait till sumer so I can get on it and feel the power.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Nice! I'm glad we got your truck figured out. I will have the instructions updated with approx times for each step to help other customers in the future. Please let me know if you need any further help!!!! ENJOY!!!!

Dan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.