Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking at buying the PPE Excelerator. does anybody have any experience with this programmer? What are the feelings about PPE? i have heard nothing but good things about them but wanted to ask. Thanks.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Cool!

Go for the (HOT +2 Xcelerator E.T) its worth it! TRUST ME!!!:D Think of it this way get, the best and you never have to look back!:evillol: Call 714-985-4825 and ask for Dan Grant. He's the man, he will help you out, and answer any questions you might have! It was the first thing that I bought for my 07 LBZ, and love it! Tell Dan Earl sent ya. ;) Just PM me and I will rant on and on about it!

·
Registered
864 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
I'm pretty much set on getting PPE too. One question though. I've heard that because they de-fuel (more than others?) on shifts that they tend to be much more "jerkier". Any personal experience to back this or just bs?

·
Registered
864 Posts
I have ran mine on defuel and no-defuel.......reset the tranny and give it a good week to relearn, and she will shift like grandma's caddy ( set on normal defuel)

When I had it on no defuel, it seemed/felt like it was a bit aggressive for a daily concrete beater. Just my 2 cents though.

·
Registered
864 Posts
when you say give it a good week to relearn, that means i have to drive it differently? or just drive normally and it's going to act funny for a while?

I was meaning, set your tune....tell the tranny to relearn......start easy on her ( the shifts will be a little rough, but not bad at all ) and then once you think she has calmed down....about 15-25 miles. Then start driving normal ( whatever your style is )

I had great results doing the above.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
when you say give it a good week to relearn, that means i have to drive it differently? or just drive normally and it's going to act funny for a while?
Resetting the tranny just means that you have set it to "fast learn" mode. The Allison is a very sophisticated transmission, it constantly reads the driver's input and tries to adjust to your type of driving style. Typically it takes somewhere around 100 miles for it to adjust to something under its normal operation. But with fast learn mode, just like JDiesel said it takes about 25 miles max for it to adjust. I would run a couple of hard passes under the relearn mode so it will become familiar under heavy throttle. Having the tranny relearn for a different power level doesnt mean that it can hold lvl 6 (350hp) it will just try too adapt to the amount of power going through it. The max amount of extra power a stock allison will hold is about 90 hp, so running lvl 3 (160hp) is probably the limit. :blahblah:

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Lol

x3 Just like they said, just load it-relearn it, and enjoy! Kinda like a cooking show :stirthepo

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ive been running PPE well over a year and have used the 160,225,300 power levels with no issues. Reset the trans after each time I changed power levels and drove her easy for awhile and away I went. Trans has been holding up with no issues knock on wood!:D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
seems like the programmer to go with. thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
PPE Hot+2 ET, I have only ever set the trans into relearn twice, I dont feel it is really needed after you have ran the higher HP tunes.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
PPE Hot+2 ET, I have only ever set the trans into relearn twice, I dont feel it is really needed after you have ran the higher HP tunes.
I was kindof thinking that myself. I use 225,300 and 350 tunes, Sometimes I don't do the relearn when switching between the 3 tunes and the tranny seems to adjust pretty fast.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been doing a bit of research about programmers mainly for an MPG increase. I currently get 17 1/2 to 18 1/2 MPG in the city and up around 21-22 MPG on the highway with my 2006 Duramax with the Allison trany.

What kind of mileage are people getting with the PPE programmer or even other models?

Thanks,

Rick

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was kindof thinking that myself. I use 225,300 and 350 tunes, Sometimes I don't do the relearn when switching between the 3 tunes and the tranny seems to adjust pretty fast.
IMO...It's totally different power settings between "level 6" and "level 2" so shifting points would be very different.

I guess what would really matter is how many levels up or down you are changing from your original setting

·
Registered
864 Posts
I've been doing a bit of research about programmers mainly for an MPG increase. I currently get 17 1/2 to 18 1/2 MPG in the city and up around 21-22 MPG on the highway with my 2006 Duramax with the Allison trany.

What kind of mileage are people getting with the PPE programmer or even other models?

Thanks,

Rick

I was getting 17 in the city before the PPE.........now I get 19.8 ( hand Calc) on level 2. I have yet to do a roadtrip yet, but that is soon to come. I am expecting to see somewhere around 23-25 mpg.

·
Registered
886 Posts
When you reset the Taps on your trans the shifts will flare up and the trans will feel weird.. Its best after a relearn to do alot of stop and go driving followed bye runs threw 1/4 throttle then half throttle. Try and avoid WOT untill the trans feels like its shifting normal.

i'm looking at buying the PPE Excelerator. does anybody have any experience with this programmer? What are the feelings about PPE? i have heard nothing but good things about them but wanted to ask. Thanks.
PPe is a great tuner. I would definetly recommend the PPe 2 hot. It gives you a broad range of tunes for a stock transmission or a aftermarket trans. You will not be unhappy in choosing this tuner. PM Dan and he'll take care of you. Their customer service is second to none. He is always on the site and is very available for any problems you might come across. Good luck

Keith

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I was getting 17 in the city before the PPE.........now I get 19.8 ( hand Calc) on level 2. I have yet to do a roadtrip yet, but that is soon to come. I am expecting to see somewhere around 23-25 mpg.
Did a mileage run couple of weekends ago on lvl 5, 100 miles. Course included flat runs and transmountain routes. Total average was 20.8mpg with GPS miles and pump gallons.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
You only need to do the tranny relearn when going Up in hp...usualy about 30 miles of city/ frwy-hwy driving will do it..:D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so is it better to go with the excelerator + hot tune? how much power can the stock tranny handle without slipping? that's my worry. i want my tranny to last as long as possible without having to change everything.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.