Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotta give credit where credit is do..... Joe sent me a tuner last week, with the overboost controller and a few other goodies

it sure made me feel good to get rid of the Codes that poped up with the LBZ before installing the tuner:eek:

truck felt real strong on setting 5 (300hp on the crank ) .... smooth pedal response, no ulgy quirks and cruise had no surges.... would not be scared one bit to tow with that tune

rail pressure stayed in check and egts never got higher than 1400 on wot

nice to see a hand held programer that can offer you , desired and actual rail pressure, main injection timing, fuel flow rate, balence rates and many more pids

boost was down about 7psi from my old lb7 race tune, but maybe more to be had in the future:D

great tune Joe, can't wait for the dual fueler

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
what turbo fred?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
put the BD hightech on this one.... spool up is good Ben, actually seen over 42lbs last night a few times so we are closing in on the old lb7 tune

have a gt42 comming to do a comparsion

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
but not as much boost as your LB7? Maybe its an LB7 thing? I still cant get mine over 38 or so :confused:

·
Registered
556 Posts
I thought the stock LBZ internals weren't good for over 32psi.

·
Registered
556 Posts
sorry, maybe that was don't go over 32psi with stock turbo.:eek::

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I have held 42 stock turbo well was told im more like 47lb I getting my reading from in front of the grid heater so what ever you loss you get from the intercooler

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i just got back from a week long sled trip towing about 6500lbs, i have been running tune 5 now for a few weeks and towed on this trip with it..... great tune to tow with i gotta say , no surges or ulgys in it, as for egts they did get in the high 1200s on some of the big mountain passes but then i was always over 75mph

i had a slight timing rattle on wot when ambeint temp was colder than -5 and had a bit of overfueling on warmup, but over all worked great with the big charger

as for mileage it was not good at all,(7mpg or 280km per tank shortbed) but then the truck had only 600miles on it when i did the towing test, by the last tank on the trip mileage had almost doubled

once again good all around tune JOE and PPE

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
You have liftpumps? What other mods? I wouldnt say level 5 on my truck holds rail pressure great.....adequate but I definatly needs some pumps....depending how I nail it it will drain the rail deccent. But I can get away with no pumps...but its mildly boarderline......I get a bit of starving at times.....

I too noticed a lil rattle when its real cold out. Well.....I finnaly got exhaust back on and can hear and it was real cold when it went back on ):h

What do you think about mid throttle positions? Boost fluctuations or any mild rattle? Slight surging? The turbo being different may make things act a bit different.

Ran her set to kill with the timing off yet? ):h

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Nice to know PPE is staying ahead of the market and being the first with HP for the LBZ(ed) . Joe is always striving for the beterment of our trucks.

Fred How is the lag with the LBZ(ed) with the BD vs. the LB7?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ratlover;1604884; said:
You have liftpumps? What other mods? I wouldnt say level 5 on my truck holds rail pressure great.....adequate but I definatly needs some pumps....depending how I nail it it will drain the rail deccent. But I can get away with no pumps...but its mildly boarderline......I get a bit of starving at times.....

I too noticed a lil rattle when its real cold out. Well.....I finnaly got exhaust back on and can hear and it was real cold when it went back on
):h

i will do a signature soon on it...
no lift pumps installed.... rail seams fine, might drop to 25k for a half a second or so on wot, but overall tune five in my findings so far does not need a lift pump, now tune 6 does, drops the rail to 19k

What do you think about mid throttle positions? Boost fluctuations or any mild rattle? Slight surging? The turbo being different may make things act a bit different.

i find the throttle to feel like stock somewhat, throttle response is very mild for towing, a few buddys drove it and said they thought the same

i noticed while towing that the tune gave the corect amount of fuel to spool the turbo very quickly when needed with out a excessive amount of smoke

no i have not ran on kill yet with timing off, once i get the dual fueler on, things will be different

will i need lift pumps with the dual fueler on 6? what about the trippin fuel tank mod?

as for lag time chris, it feels about the same as the lb7...... a true pleasure to tow with.... as for egts in sixth towing, i did see them get as high as 1300 degrees over the top of a big pass, making around the 35psi of boost, but 95 percent of the time they were around the 950 to 1150 degrees

Ran her set to kill with the timing off yet? ):h
now if we can just get the mileage to be close to the lb7

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
My truck does considerably worse in terms of rail :( Maybe you have a freak or maybe mines weak? (fresh fuel filter and tank level dosnt bring me to were you are at)

The PPE does a pretty good job of not dumping fuel right away and makes it fairly smoke free.

Throttle apply is also pretty smooth down low I agree. Mid throttle(50%) could use some smoothing on my truck. maybe my truck is just wierd??? Probably need to yank the finger stick as maybe thats pissing things off???

Need liftpumps for 6. Duno about a pick up.....I'm going to try without. Dont see it needing dual cp3s though.

For grins turn the timing off and set it to level 6 and go lay some smoke, you might realy be able to get under that bigger BD as well if you do a roll on at 60 or so :D

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
did the timing thing today, wow traffic can disapear in a heart beat

i have my old kenedey lift pumps in the garage, just waiting on a time to install them

gotta say the feeling is getting real close to the old lb7 power, all with in two weeks from leaving the dealer

ratlover;1605097; said:
My truck does considerably worse in terms of rail :( Maybe you have a freak or maybe mines weak? (fresh fuel filter and tank level dosnt bring me to were you are at)

The PPE does a pretty good job of not dumping fuel right away and makes it fairly smoke free.

Throttle apply is also pretty smooth down low I agree. Mid throttle(50%) could use some smoothing on my truck. maybe my truck is just wierd??? Probably need to yank the finger stick as maybe thats pissing things off???

Need liftpumps for 6. Duno about a pick up.....I'm going to try without. Dont see it needing dual cp3s though.

For grins turn the timing off and set it to level 6 and go lay some smoke, you might realy be able to get under that bigger BD as well if you do a roll on at 60 or so :D

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Figured yould like that ):h

Whats these PPE airbox mods you have listed in your sig?

·
Registered
425 Posts
fredw;1607257; said:
did the timing thing today, wow traffic can disapear in a heart beat

i have my old kenedey lift pumps in the garage, just waiting on a time to install them

gotta say the feeling is getting real close to the old lb7 power, all with in two weeks from leaving the dealer
The OLD lb7 power that's pretty ):h . A lb7 is nowhere near the LBZ:Nonono: . Shoot everybody know's now that Lilly will walk on it.:gr_grin:

·
Registered
289 Posts
ratlover;1607537; said:
Figured yould like that ):h

Whats these PPE airbox mods you have listed in your sig?
I was wondering the same thing.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
anything i have ever seen the lly was always a follower, over heater, underachiever, and yes the lb7 is still the king in my comparisons, time will tell :D

MAX707;1608179; said:
The OLD lb7 power that's pretty ):h . A lb7 is nowhere near the LBZ:Nonono: . Shoot everybody knows now that Lilly will walk on it.:gr_grin:

as for the stock air box mods, PPE did some testing with a few air boxes and proved that with a few mods it could maintain enought air to handle a gt42r with out restriction with a complete stock look to it

i had cut out the spiral vanes, removed the front cover plate behind the headlight, and cut out the front of the box on the fender side... will try and take a few pictures of the mods, it still looks just like stock because what you cut out is hidden

before i did this i had a 80percent plugged on the finder, after it is 0percent

and the best thing is this is a twenty minute fix

·
Registered
425 Posts
Just messin Fred:) . Your right though only time will tell.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts