Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:ro) just ordered the ppe hot xcelerator for lly, what should i be expecting for 1/4 times. Has anyone done a dyno with this programmer, is it really 180HP? Im hoping that it will shift better than the predator, i was super dissapointed with the shifting. Last question,):h, heard that u could raise limiter to 3800 rpms, that can't possibly be good, what would be recomended limiter?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Is your transmission stock?

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
The rev limiter is pretty much a sled pulling feature. Your trans will shift at 3250rpm as that is controlled by the Allison computer, not the ECM.

I dyno'd the PPE Hot when it was released. You would have to do a search. It will limp a stock transmission in 5 1/4mi passes. You should run one of the lessor PPE tunes in the box until you get your trans upgraded.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
i like it alot better then the predator. but you deffinetly need a trans to run it

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am still saving for my tranny, so as of right now, yes it is stock but won't be sometime next month. Now about limping my truck, I could just pull over and let the truck cool down and then drive away or is it not quite like that? Thanks

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
I am still saving for my tranny, so as of right now, yes it is stock but won't be sometime next month. Now about limping my truck, I could just pull over and let the truck cool down and then drive away or is it not quite like that? Thanks
Do a search. The engine has multiple limp modes which include Trans limps.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I've got the Economy version set to 140hp. Runs like a champ, but then again it is the Economy. I know the HOT is hotter.:D Trans is stock too.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was just doing some searches on the PPE HOT , now im getting a lil worried. If i run my trucks of the whole a couple times, will that blow my tranny or just put it in limp mode? Putting the tranny in limp mode could be reset, which doesn't really bother, correct? Now blowing the tranny really sucks, just want to know what my risks would be. My truck has 34000 miles, i was thinking if i get a full service on my tranny i should be good till next month when i get the suncoast stage III or IV not sure yet. Any advice you guys have I would greatly appreciate it,

Thanks,
Tony

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
You can drive in limp mode. I reset it with a TechII, but I believe it will reset after so many key cycles (check this).

There have been guys who drove a year after they limped it the first time before they have upgraded. Limping is caused by the clutches slipping. The Transmission Control Module (TCM) sees the slip, and at a certain point, throws codes and goes into Limp Home mode.

With up to about 320rwhp, you are pretty safe no matter what. After that, the risk gets higher and higher that you will limp until you hit about 400HP which will GUARANTEE it will limp at some point.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I limped mine at least 50+ times and still drove it like I stole it......

·
Registered
609 Posts
The only thing that slips now are the tires:ro)

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Every Allison is different. I drove for a while with the PPE on 120hp tune stacked with Edge on 2 and 3. Still never limped it...I dont reccomend doing what I did tho. My clutches did look fiarly burned...at least the C3's did...

--Ben

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Ben, your clutches were hosed...You did a good job on them, it get's my approval.:D

·
Registered
874 Posts
You can drive in limp mode. I reset it with a TechII, but I believe it will reset after so many key cycles (check this).

There have been guys who drove a year after they limped it the first time before they have upgraded. Limping is caused by the clutches slipping. The Transmission Control Module (TCM) sees the slip, and at a certain point, throws codes and goes into Limp Home mode.

With up to about 320rwhp, you are pretty safe no matter what. After that, the risk gets higher and higher that you will limp until you hit about 400HP which will GUARANTEE it will limp at some point.
It's been at least 8 months since I first limped my trans, and I've done it twice more since then, and you can't tell that it's any different from stock, just by the feel of it.

I'm close, oh so close to my Suncoast! :D

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i guess i could run it a couple times then before i get my suncoast, thanks for the advice

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Oh I dont doubt that my C3's werent toasted....I wonder why I never actuallly limped it tho?? :confused:

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Oh I dont doubt that my C3's werent toasted....I wonder why I never actuallly limped it tho?? :confused:
Theory...Maybe the clutches never slipped enough to trigger a limp. Mine limped because I broke the TC lockup I think. I could be wrong. The TCM may have released the TC when it went into limp mode also.

I had C3 damage on the inner friction surface. It probably didn't all come from when I limped the trans it probably was getting steadily worse as I abused it.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
The 4/5 or 5/4 shifts is what limped mine.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Not limping it does more damage then limping it, just ask the Ford guys!! I limped mine a dozen or so times and my clutches do not look near as bad as Ben's do. I'd rather limp it for safety reason than not limp it at all. Either way, the clutches are getting damaged. The Tq. Conv. don't like the extra power either.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts