Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had success with this stack?(PPE HOT+2 VA180) Or is the 130VA the best for now??

sean

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Has anyone had success with this stack?(PPE HOT+2 VA180) Or is the 130VA the best for now??

sean
I've had it in for about 2 days now, and tried 90 and 180, no issues on either. BUT honestly not impressed with the amount of extra power. I expected more. I tried out IdahoRob's 130 version and it felt much stronger than the 180 now. I will try taking the PPE down to Hot and VA on 90 and play around some more..............

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I do know my egt's peg the 1600 guage REAL quick.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had it in for about 2 days now, and tried 90 and 180, no issues on either. BUT honestly not impressed with the amount of extra power. I expected more. I tried out IdahoRob's 130 version and it felt much stronger than the 180 now. I will try taking the PPE down to Hot and VA on 90 and play around some more..............
Thats what i figuered..I thought the 180 may be to much...I may put my VA down to 130 and 90 instead of the existing 70/180...Keep me posted if you can...Any one else try it??

sean

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Thats what i figuered..I thought the 180 may be to much...I may put my VA down to 130 and 90 instead of the existing 70/180...Keep me posted if you can...Any one else try it??

sean
what do you mean put it down to 90/130?
Don't they come as 70/130 and 90/180?
The 70/130 set on 70 felt stronger than the 90/180 on either setting stacked with PPE Hot +2.
I can tell the difference in power between the 90 and 180 but still dosen't seem like the turbo whines as much or the power is there as with the 70.

·
Registered
257 Posts
You can get the 180 tune in two different settings. One is 0/90/180 and the other is 0/70/180 according to dominator diesel. I told them I wanted the 0/70/180 but havent played with it enough to verify that the middle setting is 70. I played with it enough to know that PPE hot +2 doesnt stack well with va180. The best stack so far is the ppe hot+2/va70. I am going to try reg ppe hot/va180 and see if I get more smoke than the ppe hot+2/va130 so I can add more N2O):h

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I moved my VA down from 180 to the 90/stacked with PPE Hot reg. on high. Runs great without lift pump on. Still, not as strong as the 180/ppe high, but close.

If someone has the VA 90/180, no need for PPE Hot+2, or if someone has the PPE+2, no need for the VA180. IMO

We are at the limits, both of the biggest boxes are over the limits of fueling. It will take a combo of the lesser tunes to work right.

My .02,
Rob

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I moved my VA down from 180 to the 90/stacked with PPE Hot reg. on high. Runs great without lift pump on. Still, not as strong as the 180/ppe high, but close.

If someone has the VA 90/180, no need for PPE Hot+2, or if someone has the PPE+2, no need for the VA180. IMO

We are at the limits, both of the biggest boxes are over the limits of fueling. It will take a combo of the lesser tunes to work right.

My .02,
Rob
So are you saying i should run the Hot+2 on level 3 then the VA on 180?? Or should i get the VA reflashed to 130 and leave it that way..VA130 and the PPE hot +2?? Sorry for so many questions

sean

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I am running the Hot+2/VA90. It runs great. The Hot+2/VA180 bursted like a mofo.

Not to be an A-hole but Ive got to disagree with this a little. Only for one reason. The VA180 feels real strong on the top end, but definitely does not fuel on the low end even a fraction of as hard as the Hot+2. (look at the smoke) you can feel it too. The Hot+2 is real strong on the bottom end but doesnt have the same gidddyup and go as the VA above, say, 80mph.

So far I am happy with the Hot+2/VA90 stack although occasionally it sort of "bucks" at the top of 4th I think it is. I'd like to experiment with different levels, i.e. VA70, but don't really want to deal with sending my unit there and back there and back over and over.

EGTS peg 1600 quick, true dat. 35psi boost gauge pegs with the boost stick, about 30 without. But without the BS there is more turbo lag. I wish someone lived closer to me that would go for a ride and give me their insight, hell they could even drive it for a few hours and really let me know what they thought.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
1 more addition to that novel...lift pumps should be here today and will hopefully solve the "buck". maybe even get rid of the bursting on VA180.

question:
why is it that the truck can be quicker or better with smaller tunes? wheres the extra power of the larger tunes go. does it go to waste because fuel/timing, or fuel/boost, or what? do not line up correctly?
thanks
Jake

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I am running the Hot+2/VA90. It runs great. The Hot+2/VA180 bursted like a mofo.

Not to be an A-hole but Ive got to disagree with this a little. Only for one reason. The VA180 feels real strong on the top end, but definitely does not fuel on the low end even a fraction of as hard as the Hot+2. (look at the smoke) you can feel it too. The Hot+2 is real strong on the bottom end but doesnt have the same gidddyup and go as the VA above, say, 80mph.

What I meant was, you still need to stack PPE Hot and VA90/180 or PPE Hot+2 and VA 70/130. Just not both the biggest boxes.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What I meant was, you still need to stack PPE Hot and VA90/180 or PPE Hot+2 and VA 70/130. Just not both the biggest boxes.
So if i step it down to level 3 on the HOT +2 and put the VA on 180 you think that will be faster than the PPE HoT+2 on extreme and the VA on 130 or 70? Thanks for your help Rob..

sean

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
yeah im sorta confused too. which one should i run on kill then? should i do as sean suggested and run the VA on 180 and knock the PPE down to level 3? or should i run the ppe on hot+2 and send the VA back to be tuned down to the 70, or will the 90 do just fine?

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
yeah im sorta confused too. which one should i run on kill then? should i do as sean suggested and run the VA on 180 and knock the PPE down to level 3? or should i run the ppe on hot+2 and send the VA back to be tuned down to the 70, or will the 90 do just fine?
as ive said mine is on hot+2/90 right now. is the difference between the 70 and the 90 that significant?

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I think it's all a guessimate right now. My set-up most likely act differently than a stock turbo lly, but the fueling is the same.

Until the tracks open and/or dyno runs we'll just have to do the ol' seat of the pants meter. I wouldn't send anything back to change. I'm sure the best combo is there somewhere whether you have PPE Hot 1 or 2 stacked with VA 130 or 180. Best thing will be a combo of the two, we just need a way to compare. Right now for me thats not possible.

Right now the most powerful tune for me is the PPE Hot on 240 stacked with VA on 180. I have not tried the +2/VA180, but my guess is a no go no matter what type of pumps.

PPE 240/VA180 vs PPE+2/VA 90 or 70? My guess is they are very close.

If I had the PPE hot reg. and the VA 130, I'd have one of them upgraded, but not both until we can test on something concrete.

Just flying by the seat of my pants,
Rob

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
good insight, thanks. no i just need to decide whether or not to keep my boost stick in or leave it out.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think it's all a guessimate right now. My set-up most likely act differently than a stock turbo lly, but the fueling is the same.

Until the tracks open and/or dyno runs we'll just have to do the ol' seat of the pants meter. I wouldn't send anything back to change. I'm sure the best combo is there somewhere whether you have PPE Hot 1 or 2 stacked with VA 130 or 180. Best thing will be a combo of the two, we just need a way to compare. Right now for me thats not possible.

Right now the most powerful tune for me is the PPE Hot on 240 stacked with VA on 180. I have not tried the +2/VA180, but my guess is a no go no matter what type of pumps.

PPE 240/VA180 vs PPE+2/VA 90 or 70? My guess is they are very close.

If I had the PPE hot reg. and the VA 130, I'd have one of them upgraded, but not both until we can test on something concrete.

Just flying by the seat of my pants,
Rob
Thanks Rob that was what i was looking for...I spoke to a guy today that says he can upgrade my VA to 90/150 now..I am gonna try that out also..But for now i will stick witht he hot+2 on kill and the VA on 70..

·
Registered
257 Posts
You can get the va 180 with the 70hp middle setting! Thats what mine is. And you can get the PPE hot+2 with the reg hot tune also. I will run the reg PPE hot/va 180 tomorrow and do my best to compare it to the PPE hot+2/va 70. Im guessing that the PPE hot/va 180 will be a better stack for N2O, bigger turbo,or twins. The PPE hot+2/va 180 is a no go on my truck. It just falls on its face, bursts and hesitates. It smokes pretty good though.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Smoke is not always the best indicator that your are making more power. I can very easily overfuel the engines at work at make jet black smoke to the point that it is almost still raw fuel, and actually cool off the exhaust. So you have to run a pretty fine line between slightly overfueling and going stoich. Once you've gone past stoich any excess fuel will not help in fact it will hinder your ability to make power.

So what Idaho is saying is that combining those thow boxes on kill will provide to much fuel and will probably take power away because your running out of air.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
anyone have more info/results? I can't tell much of a difference with diff levels of PPE/VA. The Hot +2/VA on 180 does seem strongest, and I have no issues.
I am trying the PPE on 3 and VA on 180 but still seems weaker than my PPE on 4 and IdahoRob's VA on 70. Gonna try and make it to track tomorrow. Hopefully I can get a few runs in and a 13 sec. e.t.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts