Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have been reading the posts that are here and was hoping that someone may have an answer for me.

I have a '99 F250 PSD that runs like a top w/ 105k miles. The other day I went to crank it up and it would turn over, but not fire. I didn't do anything to it except plug in the block heater for about an hour and it cranked. The temperature was in the high 20's and 30's for the time this problem was going on, but the truck has cranked in colder temps w/o being plugged in.

Sound familiar?

Middleforkman

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm assuming that you didn't have it plugged in at first, then after it wouldn't fire, you plugged it in. It sounds to me like it could be glowplugs, or the glow plug relay (GPR). I would imagine if you kept on spinning the motor it would've eventually fired. Just don't crank it for a minute at a time. I would bet that it is more than likely the GPR over the glowplugs themselves.

I can't tell you how to diagnose the problem, but if you go here http://www.thedieselstop.com, click on forums, you'll have to register, and post in the '99 and up forum, for the 7.3L PSD. The people here will be able to tell you how to do anything to your PSD that you want to do to it. Best of luck with it.

Have a good one!!

DanEdited by: ddp127

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dan,

Thanks for the reply, and after talking to several people locally I figured out that one of my batteries had a dead cell. The truck was turning over fine, but didn't have enough power to keep the plugs hot and crank the engine. I felt kind of stupid when I realized what was wrong, but happy that it was only a battery. Once the new battery was installed the clicking and all quit and everything is back to normal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just for your information the GPR was a know failure point and its easy to see if it is you problem. Its place right on top front of engine. it will have two larger terminals and 2 small terminals. If the truck won't start jump the 2 large terminals together for 7 seconds. Then start your truck. If it starts its the gpr or the controller that truns on the relay is bad. If you can hear it click when the swtich comes on it is the realy that needs replaced.

·
Registered
962 Posts
If you see while fuel fog from your exhaust on a no start in the cold, it's you're glow system, cauase you're getting fuel...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts